Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Front Royal , Virginia
Mattress Topper

I just purchased a mattress topper (Perfect Harmony Short Queen 60"x74") and I am very pleased with it. The problem is stowing it in the Interstate.

I am positive that others have toppers so my question is do you leave the bed made or where do you store it while camping?

SGT DAVE
SGT DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
We have a 4" memory foam topper that we love and keep the bed made lost of the time. If I need to store it I can fold it once in half lengthwise and hold it up behind the read seat while I close the doors. Go slow and make sure nothing is punching. It's too tight to put away or remove without having both back doors open. (This is an issue when I have the trailer hitch basket installed)

I should mention we have the lounge, not the ext.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I fold it up, put it back in the clear plastic zipper bag it came in, and then stow it on the curbside side-facing seat under the locker. It fits tightly enough to stay put while driving.

I hadn't considered putting it behind the seat, but that might be a good option for me. The mattress topper can serve a sound-deadening purpose then. I'll try it on my next excursion.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT DAVE View Post
... I am positive that others have toppers so my question is do you leave the bed made or where do you store it while camping?

SGT DAVE
I also have a foam topper in my extended lounge model. When camping after getting out of bed in the morning I fold/roll the topper into about thirds and move it to the back of the bed so I can flip up the two side seats giving me more floor space in back and a place to sit in the back of van.

When not camping I have four wide straps that I use to roll the topper into a tight bundle that I can store behind the raised bench seat if I need to carry passengers with seat belts in the back. I've attached a photo of the rolled topper.

The ability to seat eight in belts is why I got the Interstate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	194043  
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I had a 4" topper that was fantastic but switched to a 3" (almost as comfy) because its just small enough that I can fold it up and stuff it into a large compression duffle that, just barely, fits in the wardrobe (I took the shelves and brackets out to make the walls smooth so as not to hang up when sliding the duffle in and out). I did manage to get the 4" one in there once but only with the help of one of those huge vacuum storage bags and a shop vac.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The problem with compressing the toppers for storage in vacuum storage bags is, they take some time to recover their full thickness. You might try a self inflating air mattress type topper like the backpackers use. They are not as nice feeling as memory foam, but they are more storable. The other issue with the vac is you need to take along a vacuum cleaner with a hose.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
We do same as boxter1971. I have Velcro straps. We even leave the sheets and comforter on it while trekking, don't even bother to make the bed, just roll it all out when ready, takes about 15 min for topper to fully expand since we don't really compress it. ( I need rear area for office space) see post in upgrades forum.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Queen topper, has about 5" on each side making it easy to roll out, length is perfect. $115 on amazon. 3x straps from Walmart keep it crooked up for storage behind seats when lounge is up

Name:	image-1943361160.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	195555

Name:	image-3510536533.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	195556

Name:	image-160545775.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	195557
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #9
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Queen topper, has about 5" on each side making it easy to roll out, length is perfect. $115 on amazon. 3x straps from Walmart keep it crooked up for storage behind seats when lounge is up

Attachment 195555

Attachment 195556

Attachment 195557
Mike - are you still happy with the above solution?
If so, Amazon has dozens of Queen Toppers - many varied thickness.
Can you provide better info on what specific you purchased?
We have the 2016 Grand Tour if that makes a difference in size.

Thanks
Tao is offline   Reply With Quote