Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Sources for Custom Mattress in Oregon - SW Washington

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any suggestions for having a custom mattress fabricated in NW Oregon or SW Washington. I'm located in Portland and want to put a new mattress in my '71 Safari. The previous owner did a nice restoration job on the interior, including a front couch that converted into a bed. However, we always leave it in bed mode and never use it as a couch. The foam in the cushions need replacing and I'm considering replacing it with a permanent mattress. It is slightly smaller than a standard full size so an off the shelf conventional mattress is not an option. I've located one outfit that offers various densities of foam that can be cut to size but would like to hear if anyone else in the region has any recommendations for more conventional mattresses, foam, whatever. We do not like soft mattresses, prefer toward the firm side, but not rock hard.
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I know of a mattress company in Newberg Or. not sure of the name, my sister & I were just talking about it this weekend because we need to get one for our 1981 excella. When I find the name I will let you know.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
However, we always leave it in bed mode and never use it as a couch. The foam in the cushions need replacing and I'm considering replacing it with a permanent mattress. It is slightly smaller than a standard full size so an off the shelf conventional mattress is not an option.
Long story short, I gave up searching for the custom fit when I found a full-size memory foam mattress for $130, including shipping. I took an electric carving knife to the mattress and cut it to size. (dimensions 75"x48" from typical full of 75"x54"))

I also prefer a firmer mattress, as does my partner, and the memory foam is very comfortable. The cutting itself took me a full 30 minutes alone, but would be quicker with an extra set of hands on the mattress. That one picture shows the cut and the entire amount of wasted foam - didn't even fill up the dustpan.

We fold the bed up into a couch, and the foam is firm enough to act as a comfy couch, although perhaps could be firmer. The divot in the mattress in that one photo is just the memory foam finding its way back to equilibrium from a knee.

Wish all the tasks were this easy. So happy with the mattress too. I do feel bad that I was reduced to shopping at Walmart, sending money directly to China, and undermining my fellow American worker BUT the cost of this mattress was FIVE TIMES cheaper than the second lowest price I found regionally. It's the Spa Sensations product line (cheesy enough for you?).

I love this bed. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4872.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	122912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4873.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	122913  

Name:	IMG_4874.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	122914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4885.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	122915  

SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceEgg View Post
Long story short, I gave up searching for the custom fit when I found a full-size memory foam mattress for $130, including shipping. I took an electric carving knife to the mattress and cut it to size. (dimensions 75"x48" from typical full of 75"x54"))

I also prefer a firmer mattress, as does my partner, and the memory foam is very comfortable. The cutting itself took me a full 30 minutes alone, but would be quicker with an extra set of hands on the mattress. That one picture shows the cut and the entire amount of wasted foam - didn't even fill up the dustpan.

We fold the bed up into a couch, and the foam is firm enough to act as a comfy couch, although perhaps could be firmer. The divot in the mattress in that one photo is just the memory foam finding its way back to equilibrium from a knee.

Wish all the tasks were this easy. So happy with the mattress too. I do feel bad that I was reduced to shopping at Walmart, sending money directly to China, and undermining my fellow American worker BUT the cost of this mattress was FIVE TIMES cheaper than the second lowest price I found regionally. It's the Spa Sensations product line (cheesy enough for you?).

I love this bed. Good luck.
SpaceEgg - I just ordered a custom 9" memory foam mattress from a local futon store. Those were my exact dimensions as well, but I need to round two of the corners to fit in the space seen in the photo. Was thinking an electric carving knife would do the job! Cool.

Anyway, I used a futon store locally here in Denver. That may be a place to start. They were able to make any size mattress I needed. But...it wasn't cheap. $400.00 for a 48" x 75" mattress. It was a 9" thick memory foam that can be made into a futon couch if needed.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01503.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	122921  
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Open Road , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any suggestions for having a custom mattress fabricated in NW Oregon or SW Washington.
Try A-1 Foam Rubber

I have used them before for stuff, but not a full mattress although I do know they will make them, and have some that you can buy that are made by others. Friendly people, no frills and reasonable prices.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by star kitty View Post
SpaceEgg - I just ordered a custom 9" memory foam mattress from a local futon store. Those were my exact dimensions as well, but I need to round two of the corners to fit in the space seen in the photo. Was thinking an electric carving knife would do the job! Cool.
I'd recommend drawing the outline of your cut on BOTH sides of the mattress to help get a square cut. The mattress I have was only 6" deep, so you may have a bigger challenge. Just slice the foam like you are filleting a fish and you'll be fine. I also think a sharp exacto knife would work well.

9" sounds plush!
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
TGK
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Sources for Custom Mattress in Oregon - SW Washington

Thanks for the input. Some interesting possibilities tossed out here. I have been into A-1 Foam and have had work done by them in the past that was satisfactory. Just thought I would expand my options this time around. So often, multiple heads are better than one. One of the great things about this forum is the accumulated wisdom and how willing everyone is to share.
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
coeurdalene , Idaho
sunrise mattress factory in spokane wa. will make anything and fair on prices. have had a few custom ones made. any option you want at any size.
adamgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
About 30 years ago I had a mattress custom built at the Freightliner truck plant in Portland, Oregon. At that time they built their own mattresses for their sleepers and might be still. Build took two or three weeks and the price was reasonable. The quality was exceptional.
Might be an option.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote