Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2016, 04:50 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
ok I think that settles it for me. THANKS
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Making Rear Lounge Seat Comfortable Ride: Struts, Etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
ok I think that settles it for me. THANKS

One more thought - after adding four 6V batteries behind the rear axle the ride is a bit smoother. The positive effect of added weight on the rear has also been reported by protag in the past.

I'm also working with a local company that has lots of experience with custom Sprinter air-ride add-on systems. I'll report results when I get the system installed.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #43
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
One more thought - after adding four 6V batteries behind the rear axle the ride is a bit smoother. The positive effect of added weight on the rear has also been reported by protag in the past.
- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Confirmed - when I put my 400 lb motorcycle on the hitch carrier it rides much better (just a pain to get anything out of the back of van with the bike back there
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:56 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Lake Geneva , Wisconsin
I bought a suspension package from Sprinter Upgrades, also located in Oregon. They are a division of Aeorlite Automotive. Not related to the Sprinter Store. Installed on my 2012 AS standard. Agree it improves the ride stability especially and mitigates some of the bounce. For the cost of the package, which includes the front struts, it is worth the upgrade. Also, agree when I put more weight on the hitch like a scooter, or Stowaway2 it helps with the bounce. I am not a believer in the extended sprinter version as the trade off for towing and hitch weight is not a good trade off for me. The Glide Right suspension is the best, I am told, as it is what is installed on ambulances in Europe for the smoothest ride. In my search, I also ran across the Kelderman air suspension system which is made in Iowa. It is a good system, but also needs more clearance behind the rear axle. 15 inches to be exact, I am told. Just like the VB suspension. For my use the Koni package with sway bar is a good upgrade from the original.
gkrinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
I second Boxster's conclusion. For crosswind handling improvement purposes, I did front/back SumoSprings, Front Koni Reds, Rear Koni FSDs, Roadmaster swaybar, Michelin XPS Ribs in front, Michelin LTX Defenders in back. While my knuckles are no longer ivory white 95% of the time...rear ride is unbearable as ever.
Can you talk about why Michelins, and why the different Michelins in front vs. back?

THANKS
Old 06-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
Can you talk about why Michelins, and why the different Michelins in front vs. back?

THANKS
Marks 71,
My two driving concerns after purchasing the bus were crosswind handling and the rear ride. After exhaustive research and several mods, I realized that there was nothing I could do for the rear ride (except air suspension $$$$$). I was more successful with the crosswind handling. The most dramatic difference were the Koni reds in front (adjusted to max damping) and Koni FSDs in rear. I found another suggestion on the Airforums from Andrew T (I think he is an Airstream dealer in London, Ontario Canada) He said to use the Michelin XPS Rib 225/75 R16 tire in the front because they have a shorter and stiffer sidewall than the stock tires. The rear tires are the Michelin LTX Defenders (next version of the LTX M/S) that are highly recommended on this and other Class B forums. The XPS Ribs are very expensive (a commercial tire) but are built like a tank. The front ride has not changed much with the stiffer tires. The tires did not make as dramatic a difference on the wind as the shocks but definitely helped. The best indicator of success with the crosswind handling is that my ESP system ("ESP Visit Workshop" warning on dash) no longer shuts down with every gust of wind. It was getting tiresome to pull over and turn off the engine to reset the system. I also installed the Tire Pressure Monitoring system from TST which I like for peace of mind.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
Marks 71,
My two driving concerns after purchasing the bus were crosswind handling and the rear ride. After exhaustive research and several mods, I realized that there was nothing I could do for the rear ride (except air suspension $$$$$). I was more successful with the crosswind handling. The most dramatic difference were the Koni reds in front (adjusted to max damping) and Koni FSDs in rear. I found another suggestion on the Airforums from Andrew T (I think he is an Airstream dealer in London, Ontario Canada) He said to use the Michelin XPS Rib 225/75 R16 tire in the front because they have a shorter and stiffer sidewall than the stock tires. The rear tires are the Michelin LTX Defenders (next version of the LTX M/S) that are highly recommended on this and other Class B forums. The XPS Ribs are very expensive (a commercial tire) but are built like a tank. The front ride has not changed much with the stiffer tires. The tires did not make as dramatic a difference on the wind as the shocks but definitely helped. The best indicator of success with the crosswind handling is that my ESP system ("ESP Visit Workshop" warning on dash) no longer shuts down with every gust of wind. It was getting tiresome to pull over and turn off the engine to reset the system. I also installed the Tire Pressure Monitoring system from TST which I like for peace of mind.
Thanks ... very helpful!
Old 06-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Glide-Rite is a British company.

Anyone interested in their air suspension may want to follow the exchange rate tonight:
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Good for some, but not for me 😩

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
It will take two years to exit the Union. The markets will sober up and we'll see a correction. The compaigns overplayed the financial impacts and underplayed the risks of staying in the Union.

Time to research the glide-rite suspension.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Oh yeah, Happy Independence Day!

Edit: just read about how hedge funds make $100B in currency bets. Once they take a bath on those positions, the currency will see a dramatic rebound.