Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Interstate Pulling a Toad

I've had my Interstate for almost a year now, and I've been thinking, I really like this whole RV camping thing. But one drawback to the Interstate is, once I set up camp, I'm awfully limited in my ability to explore surrounding communities since I'd have to break camp again to drive anywhere.

Plus, although I was fortunate in not having to evacuate for Hurricane Isaac, I may not be so lucky next time. The thought of having to abandon my other vehicle in favor of saving my Airstream Interstate really sticks in my craw.

I'm thinking of trading in my 2003 Durango on a smaller, lighter, and stick-shift vehicle suitable for towing. Maybe a Chevy Sonic hatchback, outfitted for towing with a Roadmaster system.

My question to the Sprinter and B-van community is this… Have any of you tried pulling a toad with your Interstate? Anything in particular to watch out for?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Or, you could trade the Interstate for a trailer and pull it with your Durango.

The eternal motorhome vs trailer argument. Most motorhome owners say they don't like pulling trailers, but one of the first things they do is hook a small car behind the motorhome so they can pull that.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #3

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Or, you could trade the Interstate for a trailer and pull it with your Durango.
No, I couldn't. For several reasons. I won't list them all, but one very important one is, you can't drive a trailer while you're waiting for the tow vehicle to be repaired, but with a motorhome and a toad, especially a small motorhome like an Interstate, you can drive one while the other is in the shop.

Quote:
The eternal motorhome vs trailer argument. Most motorhome owners say they don't like pulling trailers, but one of the first things they do is hook a small car behind the motorhome so they can pull that.
I didn't get a motorhome because I hate pulling a trailer. I got an Interstate because I wanted a small motorhome. Wanting a toad has nothing at all to do with the trailer vs. motorhome argument.

For me, the choice is, since I have the motorhome, and want to keep the motorhome, should I have a daily-use car the motorhome can tow, or not? For me, the answer is, "Yes, I should have a daily-use car the Interstate can tow." It's a no-brainer.

But, the thrust of my question is, is there some quirk of the Interstate as a towing vehicle that will come back to bite me if I'm not made aware of it? With particular emphasis on towing a toad, if anyone out there has experience towing a toad with an Interstate.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
So basically, it's OK when a motorhome person makes jokes on a trailer hitch thread, but not when a trailer person makes jokes on a motorhome thread?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
So basically, it's OK when a motorhome person makes jokes on a trailer hitch thread, but not when a trailer person makes jokes on a motorhome thread?
Didn't say that. Jokes are one thing. Hijacking my thread to turn it into a "motorhomes vs. trailers" thread with post #2, before I've gotten any kind of an answer to my question, that's something else.

Once someone comes through with an answer to my question, feel free to hijack my thread and joke all you want about how motorhome owners are idiots for not buying trailers. After all, some of us ARE idiots, for one reason or another.

And I sincerely hope that I wasn't one of the motorhome owners making jokes about "shoulda bought a motorhome" on a trailer hitch thread.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Bought a Honda Fit for toad and it makes an excellent daily driver around town. Limited choices when weight and automatic shift were the criteria. Turns out to be a good choice and gives good gas mileage.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Didn't say that. Jokes are one thing. Hijacking my thread to turn it into a "motorhomes vs. trailers" thread with post #2, before I've gotten any kind of an answer to my question, that's something else.

Once someone comes through with an answer to my question, feel free to hijack my thread and joke all you want about how motorhome owners are idiots for not buying trailers. After all, some of us ARE idiots, for one reason or another.

And I sincerely hope that I wasn't one of the motorhome owners making jokes about "shoulda bought a motorhome" on a trailer hitch thread.
You were the first one to use the word, "idiot", not me.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Bought a Honda Fit for toad and it makes an excellent daily driver around town. Limited choices when weight and automatic shift were the criteria. Turns out to be a good choice and gives good gas mileage.
Thanks. I've got a pretty good idea what kind of vehicle I want for a toad, but I'll keep the Honda Fit in mind, since I haven't actually locked in my choice yet.

I'm more concerned at this point about the suitability of the Interstate to pull a toad. Figure, a toad weighing in around 3000 pounds, tops, for an empty weight? That's well within the Interstate's towing capacity, especially since tongue weight will be next to nothing.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
You were the first one to use the word, "idiot", not me.
Yes. And since I was including myself in that category, I meant it. I always mean it when I insult myself.

I didn't take your comment about "you could trade the Interstate for a trailer and pull it with your Durango" as a joke. Despite the emoticons. Had nothing to do with me having a bad day, which I haven't. My day has actually been pretty good.

Your comment was just such a complete non-answer to my question that I didn't know HOW to take it. And that frustrated me. For my seemingly angry response, I apologize.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I could suggest towing a smart but having two of them I might be a bit biased. They weigh in at about 1600 lbs. and two easily. If it's just you or you and a partner they are great and to top it off they are a ball to drive. But again I may be biased.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
Neatest rig I ever saw on the road was an airstream motor home pulling a utility trailer with a smart car in it. Was a 30 footer or so, but your rig would probably do it too.....Phil.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I flat-towed a '91 Suzuki Samurai (still have it) behind our '95 VW Eurovan Camper on a cross-country tour for the same reason you described. About 1700# it was an excellent toad, would go anywhere with or without a road (and bring you back) and we did. There's still a few stock good Samurais around the Southwest for under $5k.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
After switching from an Airstream trailer to an Airstream motorhome we towed a Mini Cooper with a standard transmission I should think that if you choose a lightweight toad you should not have an issue Look at the Ready Brake Brute tow bar with the surge brake lightweight and simple
Good luck
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Pt

Some folks just can't stand it that everybody does not do it the way they do it. To each his own.

I really like the Interstate and if I had one, I would definitely tow a small toad. There are lots of good ones out there that now get 40 mpg. Take a look at the Hyundai Accent and Elantra GT; pick the toad that suits you the best.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Protag,

Interstates are made to tow something, and I have never heard of there being problems. We have seen class Bs towing trailers, as ours was used for at the dealer to tow trailers to RV shows.

It depends on what you want. A cute little car with good gas mileage would be handy, but would add to issues of maneuverability, parking, windy highway driving, etc.

Sometimes we are in a campground overnight, sometimes to see an area, sometimes to just sit for a few days and cook, read, etc. When we know we are going to be running around during the day, we have our water tank filled and just hook up to electric. Easy to unhook and take off in the mornings, and then we always have what we and the dog need with us. The only thing we have to "put up" inside is our coffee pot.

We leave chairs, etc., at our campsite when we are sightseeing, never have had a problem with anything being stolen. Have even left a crockpot going on the picnic table.

Do what works for you.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I could suggest towing a smart but having two of them I might be a bit biased. They weigh in at about 1600 lbs. and tow easily. If it's just you or you and a partner they are great and to top it off they are a ball to drive. But again I may be biased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgr32e View Post
Neatest rig I ever saw on the road was an airstream motor home pulling a utility trailer with a smart car in it. Was a 30 footer or so, but your rig would probably do it too.
Intriguing ideas, but the thought of driving a Smart Car in New Orleans traffic for daily use scares the pants off of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Bought a Honda Fit for toad and it makes an excellent daily driver around town. Turns out to be a good choice and gives good gas mileage.
A Honda Fit Sport, with the 5-speed manual transmission, is looking better and better as my choice of a toad and daily-use car. Better MSRP, better Consumer Reports reviews, and better fuel economy than my previous "preferred" choice are key factors. And with a curb weight of only 2500 pounds, it shouldn't be too disastrous on my Interstate's fuel economy while towing.

Not a lot of wiggle room for price negotiation, though; MSRP is only about $400 over invoice, according to both NADA and Edmunds. Most of my negotiating would be on the dealer-installed options, and the trade-in value of my Durango.

I do wish that Honda would make their owner's manuals available online, though. I'd really like to see what it says about flat towing, and see if that matches the information in the Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing Guide.

Next step is to let it stew for a week while I'm camping at DeGray Lake, and set up a test drive after I come back.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Touchet ... it keeps it interesting; good read.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:

Okay, I've gotten answers to my questions, so have at it!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Intriguing ideas, but the thought of driving a Smart Car in New Orleans traffic for daily use scares the pants off of me!

Next step is to let it stew for a week while I'm camping at DeGray Lake, and set up a test drive after I come back.
Again I am biased but test drive a smart before you write it off. They are very highly safety rated, 5 star front and side and 4 star rear impact. I haves driven mine from Seattle to Tucson and Seattle to Los Angeles several times. They actually are considered to be "city cars" by many.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Again I am biased but test drive a smart before you write it off. They are very highly safety rated, 5 star front and side and 4 star rear impact. I haves driven mine from Seattle to Tucson and Seattle to Los Angeles several times. They actually are considered to be "city cars" by many.

Cheers, Dan
Not arguing that. Just can't overcome that visceral, atavistic fear of being on the road with the worst drivers in the world, in a car smaller than ANYTHING they might hit me with. Never mind the crash tests. Crash tests are not conducted by live people experiencing an, "Oh, my God!" reaction to three tons of metal approaching a glorified golf cart at a high rate of speed.

Okay, I know a Smart Car is considerably safer than a golf cart. But in terms of size, it's not a lot different, and that's the source of the fear factor.