Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #681
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
That is a great idea, IB, and they do blend in nicely.

Also uses some of that otherwise wasted and vertical space.

Maggie

I agree - that is a great idea. I'll have to figure out a way to do it on my NCV3 model Interstate.

- - Mike

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #682
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
How did you get the screw covers off in the corner?

Nice job,

Thanks,
Katy
They are just friction-mounted little decorative covers, so they can sometimes be pried off with the fingernails, or else a tiny standard screwdriver with a thin edge... insert the edge under the lip, being careful not to gouge the vinyl covering on the trim piece, and pop it off.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #683
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
I made windshield and front side window covers from Reflectix. Used suction cups for the sides to hold them. I think they will work better than the bulky AS ones as the inside surface temperature is 12 degrees cooler with Reflectix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160619_110601.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	264768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160619_110637.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	264769  

GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #684
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
La Center , Washington
Rear Overhead storage solution

Not sure about the rest of you, but my arms are not long enough to reach the far back of the rear overhead storage area above the couch/sofa.. Especially true for the back of the side cubby areas. Recently while wandering around an IKEA store, I came across a solution that I think is going to work out great..

In the accessory area for closet storage, I came across these

They are made of a flexible thick felt like material that conforms well to the area.

And once installed in the upper area, they fit rather nicely and allow me to easily reach the bin and get my hands on what I need.

Save
SaveSave
Save
Old 06-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #685
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Loma Mar , California
What a great find! Did you have to cut or modify these?

Really like their contour and being soft, they can keep some the rattling down.

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #686
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I'm having a hard time visualizing where you put these. Can you zoom out a little? Not sure mine has the same configuration.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:22 PM   #687
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo1 View Post
I've thought about this, too. I was recently inconvenienced in heavy rain having to turn on the exterior LP switch. My thinking is why not add an additional interior switch wired in SERIES with the original? Of course both switches would have to be "on" for propane use, but the dealer can still shut off the tanks from the exterior when refilling.
Blast from the past! That quoted post was four years ago. Since then, several Interstate owners here on the Forums have already done exactly what you've described.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #688
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
RE: interior LP Switch. My 2013 wasn't bad to do. I installed a switch with 14 gauge wire (18g would probably do it) in the curbside rear cabinet with all the other battery monitor gauges, solar, etc. dropped the wire down through the low point water drain goes through the floor, tucked the cable behind the left side of the window fur board.

Then I just cut one of the wires leading to exterior switch and "wired in series" < 8' wire. Soldered the connections, used shrink wrap and taped the heck out of it for waterproofing. (Better than any of the AS connections I assure you).

It took under an hour for the whole job and I was glad as heck I did it.

Now gave 2015 and they put all the monitor and controls roadside behind driver in overhead. 25' from exterior switch and much more challenging to get switch to.

QUESTION: where are guys/gals putting interior switch on newer models? I'd really rather not remove the bathroom and headliner (lol) to install a switch.

Mike

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #689
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
La Center , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
What a great find! Did you have to cut or modify these?

Really like their contour and being soft, they can keep some the rattling down.

Haasman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I'm having a hard time visualizing where you put these. Can you zoom out a little? Not sure mine has the same configuration.

I grabbed a couple more photos,
I didn't have to modify these in any way, they are flexible enough the very slight width difference keeps them from sliding around during drive time.

and as you can see, since these came in a package of 3, I have an extra to use in the main storage area too.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #690
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Thanks for the pics. The extended model is different and now I can see how your IKEA trays work. Unfortunately it wouldn't work on mine. I would like to cut out the portion of the separator that serves no purpose other than to restrict putting stuff in the outer ends of the locker over the lounge. Looks like yours even has another separator coming forward from the rear making a restricted opening.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:53 AM   #691
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I would like to cut out the portion of the separator that serves no purpose other than to restrict putting stuff in the outer ends of the locker over the lounge.
Don't be so sure that it has no purpose. It might be there to serve as a stiffener to make the rear overhead locker more rigid and keep it from flexing in transit.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #692
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Don't be so sure that it has no purpose. It might be there to serve as a stiffener to make the rear overhead locker more rigid and keep it from flexing in transit.
Possibly but I was talking about the rear two inches of the pieces that the hinges are mounted on. If I was keeping it, would investigate more thoroughly but . . .

Old 06-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #693
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtown View Post
We arrived home and, as tracked on Amazon, my new Honeywell thermostat was waiting. The thermostat was a breeze to mount and works perfectly. The back lit LED is much easier to see with my ageing eyes and the on/off switch is considerably easier to operate. Today I also reversed the swing on our closet door. We like to leave the rear bed made up while camping which makes it impossible to get anything out of the closet without climbing on the bed first. This new arrangement will work well for the way we use our Interstate. Can't wait for the next trip!
Information that hopefully nobody will really need, but here it is just in case:

The Honeywells that several of us put in our Interstates only have double-digit read-outs.

For the past two weekends, we've been working on our rig, and more than once upon seeing the Honeywell reading 99 degrees, I said to myself, "I swear it feels hotter than that in here."

It was. The thing only goes up to 99.

The good news is that triple-digit temps don't seem to damage it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #694
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
2008 Base Camp
Geneva , Florida
After my first outing with the AI I decided I needed a spot for dirty clothes and shoes. Lots of empty space under the desk behind the drivers seat. Sounded like a good project for my dad and me.

Moved the table in front of the new shelves for easy retrieval. Used the table bracket to hold the shelving in place.

Didn't quite get the stain right but it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1467565730.222484.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	265874

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
altlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #695
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Clifton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
Installed an LPG switch inside the coach in series with the external LPG switch on our '16 GT. With the help of wiring diagrams discover the Red Wire 6A that comes from the external switch behind the bottom drawer below the microwave. Once I discovered that it was an easy cut, splice and install.

Mcrider,

I too have '16 GT and want to put a LPG switch inside. Which red wire did you cut? Is it the one paired with the white wire?

Thanks.
cjrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #696
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2021 25' Globetrotter
Depere , Wisconsin
Thanks to Mcrider, I also installed the lpg switch in series. If you look at his photo, the bundle of wires at the back contain a red wire marked 6A. You splice the wire and connect to an on/off switch....other than bending down under the microwave, the installation was easy. I did not locate my switch where Mcrider located his switch but just about any location you prefer will work.
summerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:55 AM   #697
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Clifton , Virginia
Finally found the red 6A wire
Old 07-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #698
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Clifton , Virginia
Oops. Didn't mean to send yet...
Found the wire and installed the switch! I attached mine to the white panel where subwoofer is. Thanks again!
Old 07-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #699
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pasadena , California
I've been a 2016 Airstream Interstate with VB air suspension owner since October 2015. One of the first things I looked into was the addition of more solar panels. Ours came with the single 100 watt panel.

I went on Amazon and ordered the Go Power flexible panels, exactly the same that the airstream came with. They were also half price of what the dealer was charging.

I know that some people criticize these panels, but I liked the fact that they were flexible and seemed very durable, and that they could be mounted pretty much flat on the roof without adding any more aerodynamic drag, and that they could be attached with industrial double stick tape.

Amazon had single expansion panels for around $511 each. Although they also had a deal with a 200watt kit hat included a charge controller. This kit was about the same cost for just the two panels. So I bought the kit just to have a spare charge controller and extra cables. I also bought a cable splitter with the correct connectors.

It was a pretty simple installation, I didn't have to drill holes, and now my vehicle will stay well charged even when leaving it with the refrigerator on and the vent fan blowing. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468451118.213153.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	266720Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468451163.950273.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	266721

The 3M VHB mounting tape (industrial double stick tape) was plenty strong to hold the panels in place. Took them on a 3500 mile road trip at speeds up to 82 mph (speed limiter kicks in at 82) with no evidence of the panels coming loose.

One of the issues that drove me to put on the extra panels was because when the engine was running, it was not charging the house batteries. It turned out to be a mis-wired battery isolation manager. Even the dealer took a while to figure this out even though I told them to check for certain known problem areas such as the BIM. Now that the coach charges the batteries too (when driving, and I drive the Interstate almost every day) I never see the battery capacity drop below 70%. I always leave the refrigerator on, and at worst overnight maybe the battery drops to 80%.

I wish I could change the wires going into the Interstate from the solar panels to a higher gauge, but I don't think this can be done easily. (??)

The power blinds on the 2016 has its pluses and minuses. It's cool to be able to grab the remote and have all the blinds or screens be at your fingertips. However, they really rattle while driving down the less than smooth roads, and that's even with the air suspension option. The other issue is that if they are out of adjustment, (hanging too low, etc) then you have to take to the dealer to adjust. I'm still asking around to find out if anyone has done their own adjustment.
What I'm adding now are some small rolls of bubble wrap wedged between the blind and screen in order to hold them still while driving. But they fall out as soon as you drop the blinds.

Next thing to add would be an in-motion satellite dome. Looks like people put those up at the front above the driver, probably to use the hole where the satellite radio antenna goes in.
jsc168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #700
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Good post. I would upgrade for these panels but have a TV on the back don't wish to move it. Also I'm glad my window blinds are manual.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote