Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Moab , Utah
Where's the highway underpass when you need one?
Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #22
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Deja Vu... the 1993 Bismarck ND International

I wasn't there but here's an article from the Bismarck Tribune:

"25 Years Ago-1993

Broken windows, dented Airstreamers and flooded basements were left behind on Thursday, July 1, when three storms with winds gusting up to 38 mph hit Bismarck-Mandan with a downpour of rain and 15 minutes of two-inch-sized hail. Roads, culverts and ditches became rivers, drowned in several feet of water, while visibility was reduced to nearly nothing at times. A 24-hour record for rainfall in July was broken when 2.7 inches of rain fell at the Bismarck airport. The previous high was 2.33 inches on July 18, 1969.

Damages in Mandan were not nearly as bad as in south Bismarck, however, Mandan’s rodeo events had to be temporarily canceled as the roads surrounding Dacotah Centennial Park were under several inches of water. The area golf courses were also closed due to standing water and hail-damaged greens.

Damage to the nearly 2,500 Airstreamer trailers parked at Silver City near the Bismarck airport, headquarters for the annual convention of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International, is estimated at $4.9 million. But the thousands strong Airstream visitors kept their sense of humor and had bumper stickers printed and placed on their trailers that read “Bis-Marks.”

More volatile weather was on tap for the long holiday weekend, and it was a breezy, cloudy, wet Fourth at the culmination of Mandan’s Rodeo Days celebration. Though the parade down Main Street was huge — 125 units —only about a dozen pieces were from the Wally Byam Caravan Club International; at least 50 had been expected. But the Airstream folks who ventured down Main Street received the most applause of the day, continuing the mutual love affair between the locals and the club that brought the silver trailers to Bismarck.

Temperatures recorded Tuesday, July 6: a high of 65 degrees; 53 degrees for the low."
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Sedona , Arizona
I'm so god you and your family escaped injury. Best to you in fixing up your Airstream!
debrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #24
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
Holy cannon fodder!

I wish you success on the repairs, also. Our's took a few dents from a "surprise" hail storm in GA, however, no skylight/vent cover damage.
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #25

2018 22' Sport
Bonaire , Georgia
Springs hail damage

We just moved to Colorado Springs from Georgia with our Sport in tow. Fortunately for us, we were staying in Montbello when that hailstorm hit! I have seen so many cars damaged since we got to the Springs. Hopefully got can get on the road and get the repairs done elsewhere!

Beth
bporto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bporto View Post
We just moved to Colorado Springs from Georgia with our Sport in tow. Fortunately for us, we were staying in Montbello when that hailstorm hit! I have seen so many cars damaged since we got to the Springs. Hopefully got can get on the road and get the repairs done elsewhere!

Beth
Beth, I'm glad you missed the storm!

Apparently there is an RV dealership in Fountain, CO that got clobbered, and there were various pieces and parts of rigs scattered across the parking lot afterwards. I can't imagine...

debrunyon, thanks for your support!

westernjeep401, thanks! I'm glad you guys didn't have skylight/vent cover damage!

85MH325, what a story! Never heard about that. Cute, "Bis-Marks." LOL.
valleyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Kirkland , Washington
Three years ago was staying in Rafter J RV park in the Black Hills south of Rapid City. During the night a hail storm hit and in spite of the many trees their canopy didn't prevent hail damage to many rigs there, including my 23D Flying Cloud and my F150 (not the aluminum one)
Extensive damage by golf ball sized hail stones resulting in $16,000 repairs to the Airstream for numerous panel replacements and $6000 for the F150 hood, windshield, and roof replacement. All performed after I returned home to the Northwest.
Good ending as insurance coverage was complete and quality repairs made everything like before.
If you look in a Rapid City directory you'll find many body shops doing hail repair. No wonder.
ratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
So so sorry for your loss! Our Airstream was in a campground in Manitou Springs that day and sustained some damage as well, but mostly on the top and the corners - pretty small dimples (have to really look for the ones on the corners and get on a ladder to see the ones on the top) compared to your damage. We were near Denver visiting friends, so our truck did not suffer any damage. We were planning on spending the night but when we saw the news about the zoo and Seven Falls being hit so hard, we immediately packed up and headed back to make sure Lucy was ok. The RV park was covered in leaves and tree limbs, but so very thankful our skylights/vents/etc were not damaged. It hailed again the next afternoon, twice..... fortunately only pea size but still freaked us out. Certainly would like one of those Airstream Hail AirBags!!! Haha! Goodluck on the repairs!
RhondaBartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaBartel View Post
So so sorry for your loss! Our Airstream was in a campground in Manitou Springs that day and sustained some damage as well, but mostly on the top and the corners - pretty small dimples (have to really look for the ones on the corners and get on a ladder to see the ones on the top) compared to your damage. We were near Denver visiting friends, so our truck did not suffer any damage. We were planning on spending the night but when we saw the news about the zoo and Seven Falls being hit so hard, we immediately packed up and headed back to make sure Lucy was ok. The RV park was covered in leaves and tree limbs, but so very thankful our skylights/vents/etc were not damaged. It hailed again the next afternoon, twice..... fortunately only pea size but still freaked us out. Certainly would like one of those Airstream Hail AirBags!!! Haha! Goodluck on the repairs!

Thanks, Rhonda. Sorry you got hit by the same storm but glad you had less damage and your truck was out of the path. We just received the new vent cover (first one we got was wrong model) and just need to install it. It will be many months before everything is fixed, but oh well. Yes, where is the hail air bag?? LOL

Ratch, oh man, that sounds like a lot of damage, eh? Must have taken some time to get it fixed! I'm glad insurance worked like it was supposed to. Happy travels.
valleyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:58 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Ouch!! Family sent me videos as well... they live in Colorado Springs...not a pretty site if your cars were not under cover... lot of damage from it.

My daughter & son-in-law serve at Fort Carson and both their rigs were totaled by the hail. What a shame!
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:08 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Hail Detection

Friend turned me on to app, Radar Scope. Costs $10 but gives up to date Doppler radar map. He pays an extra $100 per year for a hail alert. Figures it’s worth it to know when to run and hide Tesla.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Friend turned me on to app, Radar Scope. Costs $10 but gives up to date Doppler radar map. He pays an extra $100 per year for a hail alert. Figures it’s worth it to know when to run and hide Tesla.
KILROY - This nice to know. It definitely worth trying
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote