Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
Phoenix , Arizona
Inoperable BackUp Camera

The backup camera in our 2017/18 AI Ext Lounge has gone inoperable. No display for normal driving, lane changing, or backing up. We do not have any other electrical problem. We have no blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker. I've cycled the engine and the main battery disconnect without restoration. I've tried the power button on the display (rear view mirror) and the remote without success. I've checked the camera head for physical damage - none.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
lhsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I believe my much older 2012 has a separate in-line fuse close to the monitor in the wiring tucked up above the windshield since it was basically an add-on. Don't know if it's the same for new models.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsmall View Post
The backup camera in our 2017/18 AI Ext Lounge has gone inoperable. No display for normal driving, lane changing, or backing up. We do not have any other electrical problem. We have no blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker. I've cycled the engine and the main battery disconnect without restoration. I've tried the power button on the display (rear view mirror) and the remote without success. I've checked the camera head for physical damage - none.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Since you are not getting any video on the monitor whether in normal, reverse, and/or lane changing (left or right?) then may I suggest this is not a "backup camera" issue. I assume just a mis-statement on problem description - this may just be a dead "monitor" . If nothing at all on monitor, not even option menus will display, may not be getting power? If you are comfortable getting a little deeper into this while your rig is still under warranty, I would start by checking power inputs going into your monitor (both 12v & Gnd). Since it appears 3 cameras don't feed anything to it, it's probably not a video input problem. While you have the cable harness out, if you have a small monitor, you can connect one of the V1/V2 inputs to see if an external monitor displays any input from any of the 3 cameras. This should not be hard to isolate. Save for items that can blow up, I have no issues breaking apart broken stuff, but I tend to be gun-shy when they are still under warranty

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180430_121750.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	309861
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
I had a similar problem. The cause was the connector for the monitor in the pod above the mirror, where the dome/map lights are, became disconnected through vibration. When I reconnected it, I used shrink tube around the connector, rather than the black electrical tape the factory used.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #5

Phoenix , Arizona
Thank you for the advice and suggestions. Yes, it is the monitor for the backup & lane change cameras. I have a tendency to refer to the collection as one combined unit.

I’ll not attempt the repairs to the electrical harness myself as I have a life-long tendency to turn a simple repair into an extensive undertaking!
lhsmall is offline   Reply With Quote