Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
The Flood

During an extended trip over the last couple of weeks, first day, hooked up city water, demonstrated to our son for the first time how the kitchen sink faucet works. "up for hot water, down for cold." Forgot the most important part. My bad. You must push the faucet handle down to the cold water position and in the off position before lowering the cover. I forgot to explain to the lad that if you lower the cover over the sink, and the faucet lever is up (hot water) in the OFF position, the faucet will turn on -- and (the bad part) if there is any ambient noise you might not hear the faucet come on.

I knew the faucet lever was a design flaw and planned to deal with it later. Another bad. I lowered the cover and my son and I stepped outside to sit in the shade, pop a beer and relax. The shade was toward the rear of the AI and we were facing away from the van. When I got up to get something out of the AI 20 or so minutes later, water was pouring out from under the slider. I had left the lever off in the hot water position (up).

The faucet had come on hard enough when I lowered the cover to fill the gray water tank in our absence flooding the AI. Luckily the AI was parked slightly nose-down, so only the kitchen area flooded. Could have been disastrous. The water did not reach the rear of the coach. Mopped up the water, turned on a fan, and the 108 degree temp dried it out in no time. Thanks to the macerator I was able to pump out the gray water tank in a matter of minutes.

During the trip we ran into two other AIs, both 2014.5. Both owners had the exact same issue with the kitchen faucet lever and they paid close attention to the handle position when closing the cover (especially now, after I told them my story). Any quick remedies out there? Or is it file-down-the-lever handle time?
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
During the trip we ran into two other AIs, both 2014.5. Both owners had the exact same issue with the kitchen faucet lever and they paid close attention to the handle position when closing the cover (especially now, after I told them my story). Any quick remedies out there? Or is it file-down-the-lever handle time?
It's like that one EVERY Interstate with a glass cover on the sink. I made that mistake once myself, but caught it before it overflowed. I didn't file down the lever handle, just made a mental note not to make that mistake again.

It may be easier to unscrew the lever handle altogether, and leave a hole that you can use to insert a small metal rod when you want to change the faucet setting. That would have the advantage of letting you use a longer handle when you need one, while having no handle at all to interfere with the glass cover. Of course then you've got to keep track of that rod that you'd use. In my opinion that would still be better than shortening the existing handle to where it might be harder to grip just so it doesn't hit the lid.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
As a reminder, I put a large label on the bottom of the cover/lid to be sure to put the handle in the Cold position before closing the lid. Happened to me once but caught it before the sink overflowed.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I learned form this forum so the 1st thing I did was make a label for the bottom side of the lid.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
I learned form this forum so the 1st thing I did was make a label for the bottom side of the lid.
Good idea. Not sure if I like the notion that ALL AIs with this sink have the same issue. Couldn't Airstream demand that Dometic fix the problem rather than continue to install faulty sinks that forces owners to install reminder notes? BTW, don't remember the faucet issue discussion during dealer delivery.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It's like that one EVERY Interstate with a glass cover on the sink. I made that mistake once myself, but caught it before it overflowed. I didn't file down the lever handle, just made a mental note not to make that mistake again.

It may be easier to unscrew the lever handle altogether, and leave a hole that you can use to insert a small metal rod when you want to change the faucet setting. That would have the advantage of letting you use a longer handle when you need one, while having no handle at all to interfere with the glass cover. Of course then you've got to keep track of that rod that you'd use. In my opinion that would still be better than shortening the existing handle to where it might be harder to grip just so it doesn't hit the lid.
Thanks. Nice catch. It looks like the small faucet lever is threaded inside. Could there possibly be a screw-in handle adapter out there that Dometic is hiding from us all? I'll dig into this further in my spare time.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
This happened to us too - while the AC was running, so we never heard it. But the resulting flood has etched this into our brains, so we now remember to check the faucet every time.
The dealer did point this out to us at handover, so it's surprising Airstream hasn't resolved the problem yet.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
This happened to us too - while the AC was running, so we never heard it. But the resulting flood has etched this into our brains, so we now remember to check the faucet every time.
The dealer did point this out to us at handover, so it's surprising Airstream hasn't resolved the problem yet.
Obviously, etched into my AI brain function as well. I agree though. Surprised AS hasn't dealt directly with Dometic about this as the waters continue to rise. Spent more $$ on this AI than on our second home. Didn't figure we would have to put post-it note reminders on anything.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Had the same issue with my 2006.
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
The more I think of this, the more I think a LONGER faucet lever is the simplest answer. The one that's on there is short enough that it's not in the way when you fold the faucet down to the right. But you don't HAVE to fold it down to the right; it can fold down to the left just as easily. With a longer lever, you'd have to fold the faucet down to the left all the time, but you wouldn't be able to close the lid at all unless the lever was down in the cold position, so at least you'd ALWAYS be reminded. And since a longer lever is easier to grip and use as well…
Old 08-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Either a longer faucet lever or a hole in the glass cover to avoid the possibility all together.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ahhhh, the learning curve.

And, it never ends.

Maggie
Old 08-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The more I think of this, the more I think a LONGER faucet lever is the simplest answer. The one that's on there is short enough that it's not in the way when you fold the faucet down to the right. But you don't HAVE to fold it down to the right; it can fold down to the left just as easily. With a longer lever, you'd have to fold the faucet down to the left all the time, but you wouldn't be able to close the lid at all unless the lever was down in the cold position, so at least you'd ALWAYS be reminded. And since a longer lever is easier to grip and use as well…
Considering the threads inside the small faucet handle, perhaps Dometic knows?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Either a longer faucet lever or a hole in the glass cover to avoid the possibility all together.

I looked at mine and I don't think a longer faucet lever would work. It would just interfere with closing the glass lid no matter what position it was in. Maybe a shorter stub lever would allow the lid to close without turning on the water. I do agree this is a problem and I imagine every owner of the late model Interstates has accidentally had water running when closing the sink lid.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #15
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I looked at mine and I don't think a longer faucet lever would work. It would just interfere with closing the glass lid no matter what position it was in. Maybe a shorter stub lever would allow the lid to close without turning on the water. I do agree this is a problem and I imagine every owner of the late model Interstates has accidentally had water running when closing the sink lid.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Mike, You noticed when closed the glass lid barely touches the faucet but makes just enough contact to turn the water on. I'm on a mission to try to sort this out either with Dometic or AS! No more post-it notes or faucet-position reminders taped to the underside of the glass lid for future AI owners! Jeff
Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
I did the same thing. However, mine was on day 1. Day 1 we pickup the AS. Go thru a worthless overview of the van systems. We head to a local RV park and hook up for our 'shakedown' night. Later in the evening, we go out for a walk around the RV park. Come back 30 min later to water running down the street. Turns out it was coming from our RV. I was not a happy camper (no pun intended). The design flaw is inexcusable. I cannot believe it has not been addressed yet.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #17
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
I did the same thing. However, mine was on day 1. Day 1 we pickup the AS. Go thru a worthless overview of the van systems. We head to a local RV park and hook up for our 'shakedown' night. Later in the evening, we go out for a walk around the RV park. Come back 30 min later to water running down the street. Turns out it was coming from our RV. I was not a happy camper (no pun intended). The design flaw is inexcusable. I cannot believe it has not been addressed yet.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Another "floodee" heard from. I will update the thread when I find out about a correction to the problem. I was mainly struck by the fact that the two owners of new 2014.5 AI's I met on our most recent road trip had the identical issue with the sink..same as our 2013. Neither were advised of the flaw during delivery (same with us).
Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Can you sand anything down on the underside of the sink cover, to eliminate the contact with the faucet?

Maggie
Old 08-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Can you sand anything down on the underside of the sink cover, to eliminate the contact with the faucet?
Sink cover is tempered glass, so that's a "No."
Old 08-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have a trailer but also had a flooding incident. Actually 2x. First was much less traumatic than the second but while driving ( with the water pump left on) the kitchen sink faucet came on and caused the grey tank to overflow into the shower pan. Splashing water while driving caused the floor to get wet and a little of the carpet. Not so bad and quickly rectified. Second, not so easy. Same cause ( you'd think we'd have learned the 1st. go around). Faucet came on but there was a dish pan in the sink which overflowed and flooded the forward area which is carpeted. Lots of sopping and getting a rug shampoo unit to suck up as much as possible and a few days of drying resolved this one. NOW we make sure the water pump is OFF when traveling.

I suppose from these postings that the Interstates don't have a pump on/off switch ???

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote