Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2017, 06:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Gaining access to the underside of the roof

Does one need special tools or magical skills to remove the ultrasuede type trim used inside the AI (Mine is 2017)?

There area I am focused on is near and forward of the refrigerator, close to and about the the panel with the various gauges for batteries etc.

I am reluctant to pull on them with the hope that they they are attached with velcro. There are no screws and if they are glued they might be damaged if I were to pull on them.

I intend to mount an antenna on the roof and will need to gain access in that area (and yes, it can only be that area of the roof). If there is a thread or a reference about this please let me know (I looked and didn't find one but may have used the wrong search terms).

Thanks!
sheakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Here is a picture of the area. It is the grey trim between the SS ceiling and the cabinets that I want to know the best way to take off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uktrasuadetrim1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	300171  
Old 12-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Looking at it I would guess that it is held by the cabinets, and nothing else. The panel appears to be above the wall to the left and the cabinet in the center of the picture - not sure about the one on the right. The mouse fur is glued to appx 1/8" thick panel. This panel is probably stiff enough to support the panel for the little amount that it sticks out from the top of the cabinets. You might be better off trying to access in the entertainment area that is to the right of the picture - above the drivers seat. If I recall, it is a carpeted top to that panel - and it may be easier to remove that carpet.

Can you remove the LED light fixture from the metal panel and do what you need to through that small hole?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I would send an email to Airstream and ask... they can probably connect you with some one on the floor that can answer those questions.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Looking at it I would guess that it is held by the cabinets, and nothing else. The panel appears to be above the wall to the left and the cabinet in the center of the picture - not sure about the one on the right. The mouse fur is glued to appx 1/8" thick panel. This panel is probably stiff enough to support the panel for the little amount that it sticks out from the top of the cabinets. You might be better off trying to access in the entertainment area that is to the right of the picture - above the drivers seat. If I recall, it is a carpeted top to that panel - and it may be easier to remove that carpet.

Can you remove the LED light fixture from the metal panel and do what you need to through that small hole?
I will try to contact Airstream, I assume they would direct me to a dealer, which for me is kind of worthless, but maybe I'll be surprised.

I cannot use the light and it is in the SS metal ceiling anyway. I really doubt the strips are held by the cabinet given how they look next to the SS ceiling and the cabinet edges.

Still no idea what is sandwiched in between the ceiling and the roof. Likewise the carpet in the entertainment area is stiff so it is attached to something. So I guess my best hope is someone at Airstream.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
The trim, covered in what many call mouse fur, is held in place by the cabinet on one side and automotive upholstery push in plastic pins that can removed with an automotive upholstery removal tool on the other. But it will not do much good to remove them as the area above it is the same ceiling aluminum covered plywood you see everywhere else. There is only a thin strip of insulation above the aluminum (not stainless steel) ceiling panel.

You have two options. You can remove the cabinet and probably have enough access to run a cable, or you could possibly remove the street side side panel in the cab overhead compartment and reach back and do the same. But it is unlikely you will ever be able to access the area above the mouse fur directly.

Neither option is easy and I have done both.

Good luck.

G
Old 12-03-2017, 06:37 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
The trim, covered in what many call mouse fur, is held in place by the cabinet on one side and automotive upholstery push in plastic pins that can removed with an automotive upholstery removal tool on the other. But it will not do much good to remove them as the area above it is the same ceiling aluminum covered plywood you see everywhere else. There is only a thin strip of insulation above the aluminum (not stainless steel) ceiling panel.

You have two options. You can remove the cabinet and probably have enough access to run a cable, or you could possibly remove the street side side panel in the cab overhead compartment and reach back and do the same. But it is unlikely you will ever be able to access the area above the mouse fur directly.

Neither option is easy and I have done both.
Thanks for the spot on info. I will get up and look at the roof again and see what other options I have. There is the wardrobe cabinet which could work and certainly I will check the cab overhead compartment as well.

If these won't work then I will need look at a small bull bar bumper on the front, not my first choice but it would work.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Seriously, sheakev, and I’ve been sitting on my hands to keep from posting this ....you have started two threads, I believe, indicating you are a) wanting to cut into the roof of a brand spanking new, very, very expensive Interstate, and b) you are asking for guidance here as to how to do so, what is under your exterior roof, how does one get this or that off, etc.

As to a) mightn’t it be more prudent to preserve your very costly investment and hire a professional to do this for you, who does this kind of thing expertly, can access diagrams, use gizmos to look beneath surfaces, etc., and insure nothing goes wrong...who will also have liability insurance to make things right if they do?

As to b) the lack of a plethora nor even a modicum of information via responses to your queries here would indicate to me, and you as well, that there are not a lot of readers who have done what you want to do and essentially no one who can give you the info you need.

This seems an exercise in frustration to me, and I am going to gently and politely and hopefully kindly point you in the direction of your nearest guru who can do this for you. Please.

I am almost functionally illiterate when it comes to electronics, much less cutting into things like the roof of your new Interstate , but I do know there are professionals out there who do things like installing antennaes on the roofs of vehicles for a living.

Please, spend your time and whatever money is required on a professional, rather than trying to squeeze blood from a turnip here.

It would certainly seem you would then be assured of a positive outcome.

There, I said it.

Do what you like, and good luck, but those are my suggestions.

Maggie
Old 12-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Seriously, sheakev, and I’ve been sitting on my hands to keep from posting this ....you have started two threads, I believe, indicating you are a) wanting to cut into the roof of a brand spanking new, very, very expensive Interstate, and b) you are asking for guidance here as to how to do so, what is under your exterior roof, how does one get this or that off, etc.

As to a) mightn’t it be more prudent to preserve your very costly investment and hire a professional to do this for you, who does this kind of thing expertly, can access diagrams, use gizmos to look beneath surfaces, etc., and insure nothing goes wrong...who will also have liability insurance to make things right if they do?

As to b) the lack of a plethora nor even a modicum of information via responses to your queries here would indicate to me, and you as well, that there are not a lot of readers who have done what you want to do and essentially no one who can give you the info you need.

This seems an exercise in frustration to me, and I am going to gently and politely and hopefully kindly point you in the direction of your nearest guru who can do this for you. Please.

I am almost functionally illiterate when it comes to electronics, much less cutting into things like the roof of your new Interstate , but I do know there are professionals out there who do things like installing antennaes on the roofs of vehicles for a living.

Please, spend your time and whatever money is required on a professional, rather than trying to squeeze blood from a turnip here.

It would certainly seem you would then be assured of a positive outcome.

There, I said it.

Do what you like, and good luck, but those are my suggestions.

Maggie
Well Maggie, perhaps a personal note might have been more appropriate
(you know criticize in private; praise in public)

You assumed that I was going to be the one cutting the hole --No, that was never my intent and I don't believe I ever said that I was personally going to do it. You also implied that I wasn't going to use a professional RV repair shop to do it, again wrong. I have a wonderful shop here in Madison which did a big remodel on my horse trailer's living quarters last year.

The reason for the questions is to gain insight as to what they might encounter or if I should take another route in making modifications to my AI.

Fortunately, I have gotten some very good responses which will lead me down paths which I am certain will get me to an optimal solution. I find this forum very helpful and I am grateful to those who take the time to share their thoughts and experiences.

I always welcome ideas and constructive criticism, so thank you for your comments and concern.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am glad to hear that you have professionals onboard to help you, sheakev, as I haven’t gleaned that from any of your posts.

One of the things we do here, and it’s happened to me more than once, is tell one another if they are going off the deep end on something....it hopefully helps the receiver make a good decision, and also perhaps others, and at the very least opinions are shared.

We publicly post, and we publicly get responses.

No offense meant, and I seriously wish you the best of luck.

Perhaps posting pictures of what is ultimately done, and how, will help someone else who may have the same need.

Maggie
Old 12-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
You assumed that I was going to be the one cutting the hole --No, that was never my intent and I don't believe I ever said that I was personally going to do it. You also implied that I wasn't going to use a professional RV repair shop to do it, again wrong. I have a wonderful shop here in Madison which did a big remodel on my horse trailer's living quarters last year.
There are a lot of do-it-yourselfers here on the AirForums. The natural assumption tends to be that the person describing the work they intend to do is actually going to do the work themselves— unless they clearly state that they're having the work done by someone else.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Best thing to do is drop the panel with the instruments in it, or the closet top (on the inside) and get an endoscope in there and see what is going on. May even be able to use a mirror and flashlight.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Relative to the stiff carpet: The carpet on the top of my half wardrobe is attached to the metal panel by a few metal screws (tough to see because the screws are black and so is the carpet). The carpeted 'roof' inside the entertainment cabinet may be the same. If so it may be easy to remove the screws and let it flop down/back.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:23 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
There are a lot of do-it-yourselfers here on the AirForums. The natural assumption tends to be that the person describing the work they intend to do is actually going to do the work themselves— unless they clearly state that they're having the work done by someone else.
OK, for the record and in the spirit of full disclosure,
  • I didn't balance my wheels nor did I do the alignment
  • I intend to put in the Onan resonator myself
  • If I try to base isolate the generator I will have an authorized Onan shop do it.
  • I did put in a new cabin filter myself
  • I bought but had the dealer install new metal valve stems
  • I did purchase, and program the TPMS but I had the shop screw them on so they would be on for balancing the wheels
  • I will have a certified installer put the 3M Crystaline film on the windows
  • If I install extra house batteries and solar cells I will do that myself
  • If I cut big holes in the roof and need to put in reinforcement for my antenna, I will have a shop do it.
  • If I cut a little hole I will likely do it.

However, I will continue to design and plan what changes, modifications, or additions to my AI regardless of whom ultimately executes the work. To do the best planning I hope to continue to rely upon those on this forum who have the knowledge, experience, and willingness to share their insight.

I will try to understand the unwritten rules and share my successes and failures so others might benefit as well.

This forum is a great resoure and it is great because of the time you and others spend in helping newcomers like myself.

Thank you!
Old 12-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Best thing to do is drop the panel with the instruments in it, or the closet top (on the inside) and get an endoscope in there and see what is going on. May even be able to use a mirror and flashlight.
Great idea, I can borrow a borescope from work (engineering firm).
Old 12-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Relative to the stiff carpet: The carpet on the top of my half wardrobe is attached to the metal panel by a few metal screws (tough to see because the screws are black and so is the carpet). The carpeted 'roof' inside the entertainment cabinet may be the same. If so it may be easy to remove the screws and let it flop down/back.
Thanks, I am going to try the wardrobe carpet first, it seems the easiest so I will start there.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And we’re all cheering you on.

Maggie
Old 12-04-2017, 05:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
sheakev
Don't let the attitude of a few scare you off. I find the questions, answers, opinions, and experiences of others to be useful. I recognize that I am getting what I pay for, but still find it useful. Relative to TPMS - which brand did you use, and if TST, which type of sensors?
Old 12-04-2017, 05:27 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
sheakev
Don't let the attitude of a few scare you off. I find the questions, answers, opinions, and experiences of others to be useful. I recognize that I am getting what I pay for, but still find it useful. Relative to TPMS - which brand did you use, and if TST, which type of sensors?
I find this forum very useful, I have probably read thousands of posts in order to learn about members' experiences, ideas, problems and solutions. I will continue to do so.

As to the TPMS, I did go with TST. I saw they had a new color display and went with that model with the cap monitor. So far so good. I did order it directly from them and it arrived in a couple of days.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
Thanks for the spot on info. I will get up and look at the roof again and see what other options I have. There is the wardrobe cabinet which could work and certainly I will check the cab overhead compartment as well.

If these won't work then I will need look at a small bull bar bumper on the front, not my first choice but it would work.
Your best bet is to locate the entrance for the TV antenna and related cables. If they haven't changed things (and I doubt they have) Airstream uses a dual coaxial roof entrance not really designed for that purpose, then slop Sikaflex all over it to keep it from leaking. On my 2011, the entrance is just behind and to the curbside behind the AC roof top unit, and directly above the locker containing the gauges. In your Grand Tour, it appears that they moved the antenna to the front, and my bet is they did the same thing with the roof penetration entrance. If that is the case, there are screws holding the faceplate of the panel that holds the gauges. You can unscrew them and gain access to the area below the roof. You can reach that area by removing the instrument panel, as on my model. I replaced the small coaxial roof entrance with a leakproof box, and used water proof connections to add a wifi and cellular antenna. I removed the face of the instrument panel and snaked the cables down into the area behind the instrument panel, where the wifi repeater and a Cradlepoint router was located. You should be able to do the same.

But that's how you could easily, without tapping other holes, run the cable. I just used magnetic mounts for my antenna, but you could screw them to the roof if need be.

Good luck.