Old 10-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
AI owner since June 2013

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
JJ - I am just back from a 1500 road trip where the same code popped up on me about 500 miles in. I was waiting for the countdown to start up but it never did. Curious if your dealers questioned your brand of DEF used? I have been using the Peak Blue Def brand as it is supposed to be fully ISO compliant but two dealers have told me to use the MB brand only. Not sure if the other has caused my issue or not yet but this is the second episode I have had with the NOX system.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBucki View Post
I have been using the Peak Blue Def brand as it is supposed to be fully ISO compliant but two dealers have told me to use the MB brand only.
Of course they told you to use MB brand only! They sell it by the liter and it's imported from Germany, and a full DEF tank of MB brand will cost you well over $200 by the time they cont up all of the 1-liter bottles they put in.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Melville , New York
I've been to two large dealers one of the Midwest and one in New York. I spoke into teams of technicians and never did the issue of the Brand of def arise. The nox sensors are a well known issue. I was told by MB engineers that they have been working on this problem for sometime. Additionally when it comes to DEF there's not much you can do with the substance itself. It contains one third high-quality urine or urea and two thirds DEionized water.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-Streamin View Post
It contains one third high-quality urine or urea and two thirds DEionized water.
It contains no urine at all. I don't know where people got that crazy notion. Urine and DEF both contain urea, but that does not mean that DEF contains urine.

That's like saying that ethanol gasoline contains beer, just because both contain ethyl alcohol. And it's just as incorrect.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 11-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Melville , New York
Update on NOX sensors issue

Quick update to the below:
Mercedes Benz replaced NOX sensors as many of you indicated. Took 2 trips since and put on over 2,000 additional miles since. All is well. Thanks for all who helped out this newbie. A Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-Streamin View Post
Hi Fellow Interstate/Sprinter Airstreamers: I am new to site and appreciate all the benefits I have received from all of you. I feel welcome and as a new owner right at home. My last few trips have been from home in NY - LongIsland to Indiana. I have had a recurring problem with engine light illuminated then 10 Starts Left message on my display. I don't know is anyone has had this issue yet but it goes further than topping off the DEF in the MB diesel engine.
1. Rolled into Gurley Leep - MB dealer in Mishawaka (South Bend) Indiana area
2. As indicated above engine light illuminated with 10 starts left.
3. Topped off DEF as it was low and reset on tech computer at MB dealer.
note: I discovered new vehicles delivered have MINIMAL DEF inside as they prep.
4. After reset drove home and after 250 miles engine light came on again and same as above happened. YES Frustrating
5. Brought into MB dealer on Long Island and reset and topped off again - nothing on tech computer showed any issue.
6. Next trip to Indiana last week and guess what? Happened again.
7. Yes, equally frustrated once again.
8. MB dealer in Indiana said this has been a significant problem with Sprinters and MB engineers in corporate have not figured out as yet.
9. Indicated they had 80% success rate in changing NOX sensors
10. Gurley Leep could not have been nicer. They troubleshooted problem and lent me a MB SUV to use while there.
11. Now back on Long Island and utilized 6 of the 10 starts allowed to get me back home.
12 MB dealer in NY changed NOX sensors and had them do an oil change just so I have my own baseline on maintenance as a new owner.
13. Picking up today and will keep all on forum updated.
Has anyone else had this issue and has there been any other updates on this??

Crossing my fingers today picking up today... JJ Streaming... I actually miss it
I promise to keep all updated.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #20
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
I'm having fits with my 2011 Duramax. In the past 3,000 miles the engine light has come on four times. First time changed two nox sensors, second time the light was on but no code number,so told to clean the air filter. Third last week got out of town and light came on then latter the exhaust filter needed cleaning. Concerned it would Drate on the road late at night so I carried it to the GM dealer, said it was not warrant item and got charged to turn off the light. Tonight the light came back on for the fourth time and headed back to the dealer again. Getting old and still mad for charging $70.00 to turn off the light and make me feel I am dumb. We will see what happens next.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #21

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
Getting old and still mad for charging $70.00 to turn off the light and make me feel I am dumb.
This is where it pays to have an OBDII reader so you can turn off the idiot light yourself.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4