Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Cutting on heater/furnace

Another newbie question. Took delivery of our 2015 AI in August and we did not go thru operating the furnace.
I just want to make sure that I understand how it works.

1) I know that the propane is on since I've been running the generator at times. Is there any kind of switch on the furnace that I need to make sure is on?

2) Is there a heater mode on the Dometic thermostat or do I just set the temperature and then the furnace auto ignites?

Sorry for the basic questions. My wife wants to go on a quick adventure and we're going to need some heat

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
1. Propane on
2. Set thermostat mode to Furnace (FURN)
3. Set desired temp

Furnace should start in about 20 seconds.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
What Boxster1971 said. And be prepared for some initial smoking from the furnace which may set off the smoke detector. This should have been done by the dealer, but they often don't. It's just to burn off some of the products of the build process, some paint, etc, and is quite normal. So best to test it before your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Note this caveat... remember to turn it back to off again when you are done. That may seem incredibly obvious, duh, but with all the other things to remember in an Interstate, this has the capacity to slip one's mind.

I'm not sure how it is set up on the newer Interstates, but our T1N furnace operates only manually, so it's an ergonomic issue that has the potential to bedevil if not managed properly. In southeast Texas, we need to turn our furnace on very rarely, so we are not used to it - it's not a routine step that we take while on the road. And when we use it, we don't turn it up very high because we want to conserve propane, so it doesn't run very often. The only indication that it's on is that a tiny plastic lever is a few millimeters in a different direction. For these reasons, it's easy to forget. One could leave it on accidentally after the Interstate is put back in storage. I haven't done this yet, but I *almost* did it a few weeks ago ("Good catch," my husband said, because he had totally forgotten it himself). If the furnace hasn't kicked on of its own accord in the previous 24 hours of travel, it's hard for me to remember that the tiny switch was moved to start with.

My husband has begun to lament that the Interstate doesn't have mode-related master switches, because we HAVE accidentally left other things on while our Interstate was unoccupied. If there were master switches for road mode, camping mode, and storage mode, owners might make fewer mistakes, ruin fewer batteries, and not run LP tanks to bone empty quite as often.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The propane should always be turned off when not in use.

Doesn't the battery disconnect kill the 12 VDC to the furnace?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Note this caveat... .......

.......My husband has begun to lament that the Interstate doesn't have mode-related master switches, because we HAVE accidentally left other things on while our Interstate was unoccupied. If there were master switches for road mode, camping mode, and storage mode, owners might make fewer mistakes, ruin fewer batteries, and not run LP tanks to bone empty quite as often.

I agree with your hubby on this. So when I installed upgraded batteries and a 2000 watt inverter I rewired the DC side with a new disconnect switch that shuts off everything tired to the house batteries except the solar system. I already had a separate switch to disconnect the solar and a switchable circuit breaker to disconnect the solar controller from the batteries. My lower distribution panel now looks like this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1448858937.423880.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	253093

- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Old 11-30-2015, 05:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I agree with your hubby on this. So when I installed upgraded batteries and a 2000 watt inverter I rewired the DC side with a new disconnect switch that shuts off everything tired to the house batteries except the solar system. I already had a separate switch to disconnect the solar and a switchable circuit breaker to disconnect the solar controller from the batteries. My lower distribution panel now looks like this.
Attachment 253093

- - Mike
Among my bone-headed maneuvers that might have been prevented by a mode switch:

While the Interstate was in storage, leaving our old refrigerator door open so that it would air out and dry, without turning the refrigerator off (in the subtropics, a closed, non-running refrigerator WILL form black mold inside). I had it on the brain that it no longer worked on shore power anyway, and remembering to press the "off" switch fell to a lower priority given that the "on" switch did not work in the first place. Well, on that one particular day, it suddenly decided that it WOULD work on shore power, and with the door open it ran constantly until it consumed the entire LP tank.

This was the Last Straw that convinced me we needed to replace the fridge. It's hard enough trying to remember everything in an Interstate without working around erratic and unpredictable systems.

Anyway, I'm sure I would do something similar with the furnace, given half a chance. We'd not be using it much, it would get left on accidentally, a Texas blue norther would roar through while the Interstate was in storage, and the rest would be history.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Melville , New York
Does the generator need to be on to use the furnace? I am also a new owner. Thanks in advance
JJ-Streamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
On my 2011, just the 12VDC needs to be on. Have never checked to see if the Battery Disconnect kills the 12VDC to the furnace and thermostat.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
On most models the House Battery Disconnect cuts off all items powered by the 12V DC fuse panel. Several items remain powered like the Lounge Seat motor, the Tank Heaters and the Kenwood radio head unit if installed.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-Streamin View Post
Does the generator need to be on to use the furnace? I am also a new owner. Thanks in advance
Not in any model, to my knowledge. I use the furnace in our 2007 Interstate almost exclusively while boondocking in a near-dead power condition; I work hard to conserve power, shutting almost everything else down so I can retain the luxury of running the furnace all night (the furnace's heating function runs on propane but its fan runs on electricity... someone correct me if this is not also true of younger models).
Old 11-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Also the t-stat needs power.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:20 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Furnace works and has been needed.
Dealership must have broken it in because there we no smells like when you first turn on your house heater for the season. Warms it up fast....
Thanks for everyone's help

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote