Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchw View Post
I got the pass through and I leave am on now I am starting also to have to change batteries. I got about 50k miles with them.
Do you experience pressure increase when driving? If I put it up on 61 psi after a 1/2 hour I am at about 72 psi more extreme in the winter now I set them cold on 55 psi and end up around 62 to 65 psi on all wheels.
I was wondering about the extra weight on the valve special with the large pass troughs.
First put the tires back to 61 psi checking w/ a known good gauge. The pressure shouldn't increase 11 psi and shouldn't increase more in the winter. I suspect either your gauge or the TSTs are not giving accurate readings. Should always check tires when cold (not driven for an hour).

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #22
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
I got the pass through and I leave am on now I am starting also to have to change batteries. I got about 50k miles with them.
Do you experience pressure increase when driving? If I put it up on 61 psi after a 1/2 hour I am at about 72 psi more extreme in the winter now I set them cold on 55 psi and end up around 62 to 65 psi on all wheels.
I was wondering about the extra weight on the valve special with the large pass troughs.
I do experiance an increase in temp and pressure as I drive. In fact the side of the coach exposed to the sun as well as the downslope side of the coach on a sloped roadway (most roadways) has more of an increase than the opposite tires. System seems very sensitive. Have had no range issues and in fact I sometimes pull a small trailer with my motorcycle in it and the system reads the trailer sensors fine too. Your 11 Lb increase is not unusual and I would stick to the 61 psi cold inflation pressure.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:49 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Maybe 11 psi increase is reasonable for the six ton beasts. I was basing my answer based on my Tahoe, only a 2.5 ton beast.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I am on a trip to San Diego right now and 55 all around seams much better handing.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
I am on a trip to San Diego right now and 55 all around seams much better handing.

I also have set mine to 55 psi all around based on the Michelin tire pressure chart for my measured weight. I typically see a 10 psi increase when the tires get hot from running at highway speeds. I'm using the TST flow-thru sensors and just changed all the batteries after one year of use when one sensor stopped working due to low battery.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Yes sounds like my setup just I was not proactive as my first batterie failed about 4 month ago I only changed on since then I changed 2 more along it a yearly routine makes more sense then my "as it go" approach.
I tried a lot and now a positive chamfer and 55 psi with a 60 - 65 tuning psi on my TPMS is the best set up I also have Koni shocks in the rear.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Regarding Protagonists valve extender solution, here is mine:
My rear outside factory stem is metal - so I felt comfortable using a metal extender. I used the 135 deg. extender from Camping World. Probably not as convenient as the 180 deg, but less mass (Mass + spinning = force) an idea which I liked. Inside factory stem is rubber (odd) and the extender was plastic - and totally worthless. Couldn't add check or air through the plastic extender. So, I took them off and threw them away. While on the road I simply put a cap on the short rubber stem. When its time to check the air I remove the cap and screw on 2" metal extenders. Find a large diameter two-piece ball point pen, whose inside diameter is such that it fits snugly over the cap. Use it as a 'socket wrench extender' to unscrew the cap. (push it on and turn CCW) Then find a bit smaller pen that can be used as a similar tool for installing and removing the metal extenders. (You lose a tiny bit of air during the one turn where the extender is pushing down on the valve core, but not enough to hurt anything.) When done checking and adding air, just reverse the above process. This jury rigged solution adds less than one minute to the time needed check air, and gives me a good chuckle each time I do it. Figured I would go to a permanent solution (metal stem and metal extender) when I have another (better) reason to remove the wheels.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I'm using new dually valve stems on my Unity from the The Tireman Tire-Man: Home Page in Ridgecrest CA. There were installed at a truck tire facility. From my experience, it's not if, but when dually extensions from Camping World will fail.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I think some are confused between valve extensions and extended valves. The extended valves are a complete replacement for the standard valves (ie tire has to come off), are on-piece, usually metal, and come in different sizes and shapes to accommodate duallies and different shaped rims.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote