Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Best 1-Ton Dually on the market and why?

Looking at 1-ton dual-wheeled trucks (f350, 3500, etc...) and was just wondering if anyone out there prefers one brand (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) over another and why? Thanks.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
best tv

ok, i'll start this. get a dodge 3500 turbo diesel 6 speed or auto. just because they get the job done. . . . .
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Okay, I'll jump in here. I am a Ford Powerstroke owner but I am of the opinion that all of the big three diesels are so good that you would be happy with any of them. Each has its own minor pros and cons.

In the past, I would have said that if you want the highest mileage and pulled heavy loads at low speeds, get the Dodge/Cummins. If you pull loads at high speeds and wanted more performance, get the Ford. However, the GM/Duramax with the Allison had changed this.

You may want to get an '06 as the '07s will meet new emissions requirements which will require a particulate trap and the use of ULSD. Both the Ford and Dodge have increased engine size as result of the emissions requirements. Don't know if GM had to do the same with the Duramax.
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Hard to make a recommendation because it will be a compromise between the three good vehicles you mentioned. I had good luck with both Ford and Chevy but never owned a Dodge.

I always start the buying process by first listing my requirements. My technical need or “must haves” are weighed heavier than my “nice to have” wants. I’ve spend many hours studying, analyzing and evaluating the technical specs and options before I commit with a down payment.

What other requirements do you have other than that you want a 1 ton-dual-wheel truck?
Can I assume its primary job is not just towing your 25’ Excella?
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

There are very large websites filled with thousands of arguements pro and con on all three makes. At bottom it amounts to this: some like Fords, some like GM, some like Dodge.

As suggested above, if you carefully define your requirements it will narrow the search considerably.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 10-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1
Looking at 1-ton dual-wheeled trucks (f350, 3500, etc...) and was just wondering if anyone out there prefers one brand (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) over another and why? Thanks.
Hi, everyone out there thinks their truck is the best; And it is. If you are a Ford person, Ford is the best. If you are a G.M. person, Chevrolet or GMC are the best. And if you are a Chrysler person, Dodge is the best. If you don't like any of these, buy a Japanese truck. I'm a Ford person and just like the seating positions and the locations of the in-cab controls better. G.M. is OK, but I still feel better in a Ford. And I have never felt good in any Chrysler product. [almost like a foreign car to me.]
I never understood this question; I know what I want, and buy what I want. I don't need anyone to tell me why I should have bought something else. And I don't need a pat on the back for buying what other's think is best. Whatever I buy is absolutely the best, because it was my decision to buy what I want.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
If this were my decision, I'd consider things like which dealer in my town was the best to work with. There aren't too many really decisive differences between them in terms of features or performance, so I would give a lot of weight to other factors that might be important over the life of the vehicle.

For what it's worth, I've been shocked at how excellent the maintenance service has been at every Chevy dealer I've been to across the country. That's not to say the others are worse, just that I've been pleasantly surprised by Chevy dealers. Maybe they treat big trucks differently, knowing they are so important to the livelihoods of many of the working people that own them. I just don't know for sure.

Are you sure you need such heavy iron to tow an ol' aluminum trailer? There are a number of posters who have suggested duelly rigs might be a little rough on medium and small sized Airstreams. Having never driven one, I wouldn't know myself. Our 2500 works great on a 28'.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
This truck would be used principally to pull the AS. I am not a contractor or a farm guy or anything like that. I just like the idea/concept of potentially increased stability and the fact that if I have a blowout in one of the dual rears I can still ride on a second until I get the flat fixed. Call it insurance or safety if you like. I think I prefer to have too much truck than just enough. I don't necessarily have to have a spanking brand new truck, but would like to have the latest safety features and I need the increased space of a crew cab (four legged friend(s)). Don't want an 8' bed, 6.5' should do fine.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:53 AM   #9
Industrialist

Alexandria , .
Lightbulb Excursion !!!

Quote:
This truck would be used principally to pull the AS. I am not a contractor or a farm guy or anything like that. ... and I need the increased space ... (four legged friend(s)....
Streamer1,
Consider a Diesel (or V-10) Excursion (E-rated tires) ... With proper maintence your tire failure concerns should be directed to your Airstream. Further, the 4-leggers will love it & have their own air-conditioner. (& DVD if you go to extremes of animal riding pleasure)
Old 10-22-2006, 05:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Our Dually certainly has better stability towing our 26 or 31 footer. My wife drives it in big truck interstate traffic she would not have thought of with our 3/4 van. Our Chevy had a gas pump go out at 35,000 miles with a sensor for $1000 ,no warrentee. The sensors on the front wheels went out at 40,000 miles (causing failure of ABS) but GM will not cover under warrentee or recall (although a lot of them are going out). That will be another $388. I like the GM independent front suspension and lower get in height for my wife with artifical hip.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
This truck would be used principally to pull the AS. I am not a contractor or a farm guy or anything like that. I just like the idea/concept of potentially increased stability and the fact that if I have a blowout in one of the dual rears I can still ride on a second until I get the flat fixed. Call it insurance or safety if you like. .
A 3/4 ton would do you just fine. Sure it won't have dual rears, but unless you're hauling serious stuff (other than the Airstream), which it doesn't sound like you are, then not only IMHO would a 1 ton be way, way overkill, it could most likely cost more in the long run to operate.

Say an inner tire blows out, you have to pull the outer one to get to the inner one, plus, when it comes time to replace the tires you're, adding several hundred dollars to the equation. Add to the fact that a fair number of us on the forum believe that a 1 ton is far too firm on an Airstream that likes a soft ride (do a search of popped rivets) and you'll start to see why way overkill might not be such a great idea.

Thousands of folks tow with 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. In a blowout situation as you suggest, a proper hitch setup will help overcome most adverse issues that come up. I would think that if non dual rear towers had such an issue, you'd have heard about it. Though you can't predict everything, proper maint, and following the manufacs specifications (load, tire pressures, etc) more than anything else limit your exposure to blowouts and other nasty things. If you had a 34' slide out and/or hauled heavy items in the bed while towing, I might even agree with the 1 ton route, but from the info you've provided, you have a 25' Excella, which is way light and no indication of hauling heavy loads while towing.

I myself am a GM customer, so I won't comment more beyond that. I will however suggest that you seriously reconsider the 1 ton, regardless of brand selected.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:45 AM   #12
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Don't know if I would go to a dually just for a flat tire possibility?

I have an E-450 work truck and it's true you can drive with a flat a long time, but the flat also heats up the good tire most times or if it blows it can take the other out in certain cases. It may also have a larger turning radius, and it is had to park.

But if you like it get it.

As far as brands I love fords but I'm buying a Chev 2500, it is lower to the ground and the interior is very nice. I was going to get the Duramax Allison, but since it's not a work truck I find the payback time on diesel using it 15,000 miles a year is to long, so will likely get the 6.0.

Dodge interiors are not as nice, their 5.7 is to small, so you need to go to their diesel +$5,000.

Ford is in a change mode but their gas engine is fine but their 6.0 diesel was trouble, so much so they are not using it now, I have a 7.3 in my E450 and it is great, but their tranies are a weak point.

In sum they are all about the same in price, it is engine drive train, interior.

You didn't say diesel or gas.

Also buying a newer used truck doesn't pay unless it's older than 2002, the deals with 0 interest are just to good and you're protected nationwide if you breakdown.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
If you really have to have a dually, look at Edmunds.com, they did a recent test of the three dualies and they said the GM pickup was the hands down winner. Here is the link to the article.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...2/pageNumber=1
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
I did read that article about 1 ton trucks.
Wasn't it titled "How can we make the chev look best?"

I don't agree with their conclusions.

I do agree that a 6 speed automatic pulls uphill beter than a 3 speed.
And rear end gearing is very important if you haul heavy stuff.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druupy
I did read that article about 1 ton trucks.
Wasn't it titled "How can we make the chev look best?"

I don't agree with their conclusions.
In the Edmunds test, they ran all 3 pickups through the same tests and the Chevrolet dually did better than the others.......so they said it was the winner and you don't agree..... Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up?
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
A few months ago I was in the market for a used PU. In talking to several used truck dealers, I posed the GM/Ford/Dodge question. Every one of them said they would all do the job, but in terms of quality and resale they would rate them in the order I did above. GM - Ford - Dodge.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Wow! Thanks all. You all have given me much to chew on before I blow "Big Jack" on a truck not likely to have alot of miles put on it.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
If you really have to have a dually, look at Edmunds.com, they did a recent test of the three dualies and they said the GM pickup was the hands down winner. Here is the link to the article.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...2/pageNumber=1
Hi, I also don't agree with this test. They said they loaded them all with 81% of their maximum load, but did not say how much the load for each was. Which one carried the most weight? Why not try all of them with the same load or with a 34' Airstream. All three towing the same trailer. Why did the Dodge have to have the Mega Cab and why did the Ford have to have the King Ranch option? Was this purposely done to make the Chevy cheaper, therefore look better.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Duallies won't fit in the carwash. Two extra tires to buy. Wider turning radius.
Stiffer ride for the A/S. Lower mileage. You sure about this?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:47 AM   #20
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Dual rears because of the potential of a flat?
Dang...a rear flat is wet dream compared to a front...
When a front going out, you may still get wet from the uncontrolable excitement.
You may even talk to God.

No need for a dually just for tires.
3/4 T is great, and has same brakes a 1 T.

GM
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote