Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #113
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullovern View Post
Tireman2: we bought the AI used with the to reminders already on. I was getting an inordinate amount of false alarms to the point that I didn't believe it when it alarmed. I was getting pressures of 82 psi and an hour later 58 psi on the same tire. I replaced 3 of the 6 and changed all the sensor batteries. I then bought a truckers pressure gauge and meticulously set the cold temp pressure to 60 psi on all tires. Now I get no alarms and my confidence in the system is returning.
No telling what the previous owner did with the TPM settings. Glad you figured it out and have a functioning system.

Happy Camping.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #114
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
A bit of a summary here:

- You should have a Digital tire gauge. I have posted the results of my tests of dozens of gauges that RVrs were using and the bottom line is that about 15% were off by more than 5 psi which IMO makes that tire gauge a good door stop or tent peg. I have provided information on how to do your own gauge "Calibration Check" to confirm the accuracy of the gauge you use daily and how to maintain your "Master Gauge"

- If you follow the advice from the two Tire Engineers on this thread you will be setting the pressure based on the appropriate method here:
- On your TV inflate to pressure based on the Door sticker and Owner's manual for "Fully Loaded" operation. BUT get on a scale at least once to confirm you are not overloaded.
- If you have a multi-Axle trailer you should be running the pressure on the tire sidewall. I have written in my Blog and provided the technical justification and need to follow this advice. You should still go across a scale and calculate the actual tire loads to confirm you are not overloading one or more tires
- If you have Motorhome you need to confirm your unit's "corner weights". Use one of the worksheets I have provided links to. Use Load/Inflation chart from your tire manufacturer, to confirm you are not overloaded and identify the heavier loaded tire on each axle. Using the pressure for that load add 10% (without exceeding the wheel max) and that is your Cold set pressure for all tires on that axle.
- If you follow the above there should be no reason to be chasing your tire inflation around unless you have a major change in Morning temperature ( More than say 30°F ) as you would only need to "Top Off" the air once a month at most.

- Don't be too anal about inflation. Variations of 1 to 3 psi day to day are normal. You should not need to make adjustments unless the Cold pressure is 4 or 5 psi away from your goal. (Multi-axle trailers might try and get no lower than 3 psi below tire sidewall pressure)

- TPMS are a WARNING device and like Insurance we should all be using them. Also just like Insurance they cannot "Prevent" bad stuff from happening but with luck they may give sufficient advance warning to lessen the impact of the bad stuff that does happen.
- If you are parked for more than a day you need to cover your tires that will be in direct sunlight with WHITE tire covers. This protects against both UV and higher temperature damage which can shorten tire life.

If you follow this advice I think you will find that tires become less of a worry for you.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You should have a Digital tire gauge. I have posted the results of my tests of dozens of gauges that RVrs were using and the bottom line is that about 15% were off by more than 5 psi which IMO makes that tire gauge a good door stop or tent peg. I have provided information on how to do your own gauge "Calibration Check" to confirm the accuracy of the gauge you use daily and how to maintain your "Master Gauge"
Thank you Tireman9. Can you please tell us where you posted all this information?
Peter
Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The door sticker may be for a stock Sprinter, not an AI. For an Interstate you need close to the max tire pressure because you are close to the max weight. You do not have to weigh an Interstate, they are all close to maxed out weight wise for the Sprinter chassis or close enough that it does not matter. Jim

I think you are wrong. Those stickers are for a modified Interstate. The max pressure on the tire is 80 psi, way too high.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #117
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Tireman is correct. TPMS is more than just insurance. It also avoids the hassle, aggravation, and possible extensive damage and injury that may result from a blowout or deflation. I believe TPMS should be mandatory for all duel or triple axle TTs.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I'm still waiting for a link to Tireman9's digital gauge recommendations PLEASE I have a Milton 986 and believe it to be good quality and accurate, but since the scale is from 10-160 psi, it's really hard on my eyes. An accurate digital gauge that can handle duallies would be ideal.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Dill TPMS For Sale

Hopefully it's appropriate to post this here.

I bought a Dill TPMS a few months ago and have decided not to install it at this time. I paid $279.00 plus shipping. Still NIB, I'm offering it for $250.00 shipped.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...ELTPMS&ID=2179

I also have a ad in the Classifieds section.

Thanks,
Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
Dill TPMS For Sale

Hopefully it's appropriate to post this here.

I bought a Dill TPMS a few months ago and have decided not to install it at this time. I paid $279.00 plus shipping. Still NIB, I'm offering it for $250.00 shipped.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...ELTPMS&ID=2179

I also have a ad in the Classifieds section.

Thanks,
Poppy
Probably won't fit the Alcoa wheels on the Interstate.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Probably won't fit the Alcoa wheels on the Interstate.

For sure they won't fit an Interstate and you need six sensors. That unit might work for a trailer.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #122
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Thank you Tireman9. Can you please tell us where you posted all this information?
Peter

Info on my Tire Blog in my signature. I am not allowed to post hot links on this forum.