Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #1

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
orange , California
AI Panel Paint Defects

I have experienced paint failure on the Airstream supplied body panels and would like to know how others have addressed this and how effective the solutions have been. If you were lucky to get Airstream to replace, did they supply panels and installation? Were the new panels any better? If you repainted, are you happy with the results and did the respray help. It seems that this issue comes up from time to time going as far back as 2007 or before. Honestly, wouldn't you expect the paint on these panels to last as long as the MB paint? If the vehicle is kept clean and waxed, there is no reason to expect that the Airstream panels shouldn't be expected to last more than a few years.
I am interested to see how extensive this problem might be and what Airstream has done about it. Feel free to send a PM if you do not want to post publicly.
PaintWoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Hillsdale , California
Hello...

I think we are experiencing the SAME failure(s), but I wanted to clarify a bit.

Are you talking about the plasticized panels added (or color keyed?) by Airstream/Thor?

Ours are chalky, blotchy, faded and appear horrible, especially in the rear section of the exterior of the van.

We have other Sprinter vans and have NEVER had this problem -- even on vans kept in much harsher environments, with many more miles.

I'll try to post some photos of ours if you're experiencing similar. (Photos?)
AITraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Orland Park , Illinois
paint fading

I 'm having the same problem with the plastic panels the look like they are20 years old on my 2016. The sprinter paint is fine with just a few nicks from driving The Dempster Highway to the Arctic ocean.
richguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:07 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Same here in the plastic body side molding panels - silver paint didn’t hold up very well on my 2015 AI - Lounge
Old 12-02-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
My 2013 has the same problem. I plan to have them repainted as soon as I find a good shop.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Hillsdale , California
Angry Airstream Thor Body Paint Defects : Examples

EXAMPLES:

AITraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Lady Lake , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintWoes View Post
I have experienced paint failure on the Airstream supplied body panels and would like to know how others have addressed this and how effective the solutions have been. If you were lucky to get Airstream to replace, did they supply panels and installation? Were the new panels any better? If you repainted, are you happy with the results and did the respray help. It seems that this issue comes up from time to time going as far back as 2007 or before. Honestly, wouldn't you expect the paint on these panels to last as long as the MB paint? If the vehicle is kept clean and waxed, there is no reason to expect that the Airstream panels shouldn't be expected to last more than a few years.

I am interested to see how extensive this problem might be and what Airstream has done about it. Feel free to send a PM if you do not want to post publicly.

We had the same issue on our 2016 Grand Tour. In the winter of 2018 North Trail RV painted all the plastic trim on the lower portion of the Interstate under warranty. The service manager said they had painted a number of Interstates with the same problem.
M and R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by M and R View Post
We had the same issue on our 2016 Grand Tour. In the winter of 2018 North Trail RV painted all the plastic trim on the lower portion of the Interstate under warranty. The service manager said they had painted a number of Interstates with the same problem.
Thanks for the input. Airstream has declined to cover this defect under warranty on my coach. I have had them repainted at significant expense. If others have had this failure please keep updating the thread. Perhaps there is enough of a problem for them to issue a recall or service bulletin to correct the problem.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Orland Park , Illinois
paint failure fixed

I just used Carfidant scratch and swirl remover and it looks like new. I purchased it thru Amazon and sold by Confidant $28.97 with shipping. I was all set to get a new paint job $$$$.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Orland Park , Illinois
paint failure fixed not

Sorry about yesterday's post, sunshine this morning shows fine scratching on all plastic panels. I guess a repaint is the only solution.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:09 PM   #11

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Canton , Oh
I have had the same paint failure on my 2017 interstate, started in 2020.
Billb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:45 PM   #12

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Canton , Oh
I have the same plastic problem with paint on my 2017 interstate. Airstream must know about it do they know how I can fix the problem ?
Help !
Billb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #13
Living Riveted since 2013

Green Cove Springs , Florida
Any good auto body / paint shop with a high enough ceiling to accommodate our Sprinters should be able to fix it right up and have it looking like new again. Doing the same is also on our list for our 2016 unit.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:46 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Any good auto body / paint shop with a high enough ceiling to accommodate our Sprinters should be able to fix it right up and have it looking like new again. Doing the same is also on our list for our 2016 unit.
Yes, painting is the ONLY solution. Mercedes fix some minor corrosion on my 2015 chassis (2016) Interstate, around the windshield after it was discovered when the glass was replaced. Kudos to MB for covering paint defects more than five years after. Only wish Airstream would live up to that after two years. Will certainly take this into consideration when we purchase another motor home. AS are you listening?
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:39 AM   #15

AI Panel Paint Defects

We of course also wish they'd cover this, but they won't because we're outside the warranty. Is the AS warranty on Interstates still two years, or is it now three? I think it's three in their trailers now.

Still, it could be worse. Winnebago warranty, for example is one year, one owner. If you buy a two month old Winnie used, you get no Winnie warranty. "No soup for you!"

Old 03-31-2021, 05:08 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Evans , GA
We just took ownership of a 2014.5 which had 15K miles and spent time in a climate controlled windowless garage. Our plastic is as new as it probably was in the showroom. It will be months before our garage is done and Im monitoring the paint as Ive heard about this problem already. Unfortunately, waxes an sealants dont have enough to them to offer true UV protection...
GAAirstreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAAirstreamr View Post
We just took ownership of a 2014.5 which had 15K miles and spent time in a climate controlled windowless garage. Our plastic is as new as it probably was in the showroom. It will be months before our garage is done and Im monitoring the paint as Ive heard about this problem already. Unfortunately, waxes an sealants dont have enough to them to offer true UV protection...

Sounds like a sweet find, congratulations! Here's hoping that paint lasts for you.