Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
OMG if that is all it is, I wish you worked for Mercedes 24hr-not-really service. I called hoping to get someone who knew something but they had never even heard of the interstate! So, my van is blocking others in an RV storage lot in ST Augustine and supposed to got to RVOne in Winter Park for service in am for shades that were supposed to be fixed a year ago and I’m in WP because no one knew anything and apparently 24hour tow service stops ar 8pm in St Aug JACKSONVILLE area!
Thank you for the reply. My gut said it was the break even though I nevee use it. Hmmmm
Do report back... When I saw your post initially that is what I thought as well...

E-brake... This happened last weekend to my friend when he tried to move the AI (remember that I now keep it in his back yard)... I had to teach him how to disengage it since I had left it in the down position for ease of movement around. I recall him saying that he stopped on the first try because it made a weird noise and would not move... I went with him, disengaged the e-brake and moved it without problems or weird noises.

On the DEF, I just have a habit of filling it every time I open the hood to check windshield wiper fluid and every so often... I do not wait for any light. I do the same with my BMW X5 Diesel... so I always have DEF at home.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
By some accounts DEF has a shelf life. I don't want to risk damage to the SCR system by always topping it off. So every couple of years I let it run to ~ half a tank, drain the rest, and refill with new DEF. I use a hose end sprayer to dispose of the old DEF by spraying it on the yard. Its just nitrogen fertilizer.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Mercedes told me not to let it run low.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Mercedes told me not to let it run low.
Of course they did. They want to sell you DEF.

Fact is, Schedule B maintenance on a Sprinter Van includes flushing the DEF system, meaning that it will be emptied and refilled. The system will not be harmed by low DEF, only by running out of DEF while the engine is running. DEF is drawn off the bottom of the tank, so as long as you have any usable DEF still in the tank, the system will work just fine.

However, you're still going to get warning messages if the DEF gets low, the same way that the low-fuel light comes on when you still have about 1/4 of a tank left, because they don't want you to run out.

I always wait until I get a "Check DEF" message— but before I get "XX Starts Remaining"— before I add DEF. My Interstate has almost 50,000 miles on it, and in just a few days I'll tick over 7 years of ownership. I've never had any problem whatsoever with the DEF system, and never once had the van go into "limp home" mode.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Good to know. Thanks
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I always wait until I get a "Check DEF" message— but before I get "XX Starts Remaining"— before I add DEF.
I agree with PROTAGONIST. I have close to 9,000 miles on my AI now and have always waited until Check DEF message before adding. My usage is on the high side (compared to what I read here). I am assuming because I use it 1/3-1/2 of the time in city driving as people mover & idling in hot LV summers and also live/drive in higher altitude. Based on this driving conditions, I am consistently at usage of 2.5 g Blue DEF for every 3,000 miles and 3/4 depletion on gauge. But never got into countdown mode as I always top off shortly after message. I always carry DEF and have 1 in garage too for emergency. When I get the message, I will use my spares (since they have shelf life) and buy new replacement.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #27
J&J In A Can

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cottonwood , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
It’s always something, backed out of storage spot no problem but Message to check DEF was on. When I put it in drive it hesitated as if the emergency break were on which it was not and a red “PARK” came on the dash . I stopped and double checked the brake, turned the vehicle off and let it sit for a while. Turned it back on, same “PARK” light . Tapped the gas & heard horrifying sound, turned it off & am about two spaces from where I started in the middle of the storage lot road waiting to hear from a tow truck driver.
Anybody have a guess as to what is going on?

We had a similar experience a few months ago. When placed in drive it would grind, jerk, make horrible noises and barely roll forward. I found that by pulling firmly down on the shift lever, the problem would clear and I could drive it. It worked fine in reverse. I got in the habit of pulling it firmly into drive, but ask MB to check it when it went in for Service B. Turns out there is a cable that connects the shift lever to the transmission and it can get out of adjustment. They adjusted it under warranty and now it works perfectly again.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
carpenc
What did you find to be the cause of the horrific noise - I assume that it has been fixed by now?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

St auguatine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
carpenc

What did you find to be the cause of the horrific noise - I assume that it has been fixed by now?

Sorry if you did not see my answer to this way back but the problem was the emergency break handle had lifted just enough to engage —-dog or me must have it it when existing last time but now I understand that unlike my car, you don’t have to pull the handle up to engage but you do need to be aggressive about putting it down.
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote