Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Picked up an '89 E-350 Airstream

Hey everyone,

I had been on the hunt for quite some time for a decent Class B and with them being pretty trendy at the moment I didn't think I'd be able to run into anything worthwhile until I came across this and couldn't pass it up. It's the '89 Airstream on the Ford E350 chassis with the 460 V8. Aside from having a minor fuel leak that I'm taking care of, everything is in good shape and working order. It was your classic "grandma had it and she passed away and we don't know much about it" fairy tale. 56k miles and looks to be well maintained and has all the original sales docs and manuals. Aside from the plastics and some of the vinyl showing wear and brittleness with age, I hope it treats our small family of 3 well!

I did however manage to crack one of the awning arms when I deployed it for the first time due to user error which I'm pretty bummed about. It's a 'Carefree Colorado Freedom awning' and I doubt parts are still available or if they are I'm sure they're expensive as hell. Anyways, I'll post a picture when I get the ability to do so. We're still in the process of getting a name nailed down for her.

Look forward to learning a lot about what I've come across, it's our first camper of any sort, we're coming from a backpacking and hiking background.
LiamO86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Picture of our new rigClick image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190428_163729~2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	339902
Old 05-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Wow, that's a nice one.

Regarding the awning, I have a DIY PDF on the mechanism for some of the Freedom models, but nothing for the arms. I don't recall anyone mentioning arm problems previously.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Wow, that's a nice one.

Regarding the awning, I have a DIY PDF on the mechanism for some of the Freedom models, but nothing for the arms. I don't recall anyone mentioning arm problems previously.
Thanks! They most likely weren't a problem until I figured they might need to be parallel to the canopy and put a little to much of a push. Total mistake on my part. Never realized how spendy the awnings are. If it comes down to not being able to be salvaged, I may need to look into a popup to put in its place.