Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
New Member
 
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Newport Beach , California
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
2018 Interstate Airstream Rear Camera Quality

I recently bought a 2018 Interstate Grand Tour and have a question about the quality of the rear camera. In comparison to the side cameras installed in the side mirrors, the quality of the rear camera is terrible. Its hazy, dark and seems to be tilted, even though I have tried to clean the lens and move the camera all around. Sorry if this has been discussed a bunch previously - if so, please point me to the thread (I'm new to the forums).

I' wondering if:

1) This is how it should be as new, or something is wrong with my rear view camera
2) If its just a low quality camera and operating correctly, has anyone found a drop-in replacement that is more usable?

I've tried to attach a picture of the side camera quality vs the rear camera quality. Pictures taken with iPhone, which didn't come out that great.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1012.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	326613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	326614  

__________________

AirstreamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

 
2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 634
Welcome to the Forum AirstreamGT!

Your second picture has too much reflection, but your first picture is about what I get on my '2012. And it looks like they've not significantly upgraded since it looks identical to mine. They really need to do better.
__________________

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
TX-Newbie's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
AUSTIN , TX
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamGT View Post
I recently bought a 2018 Interstate Grand Tour and have a question about the quality of the rear camera. In comparison to the side cameras installed in the side mirrors, the quality of the rear camera is terrible. Its hazy, dark and seems to be tilted, even though I have tried to clean the lens and move the camera all around. Sorry if this has been discussed a bunch previously - if so, please point me to the thread (I'm new to the forums).

I' wondering if:

1) This is how it should be as new, or something is wrong with my rear view camera
2) If its just a low quality camera and operating correctly, has anyone found a drop-in replacement that is more usable?

I've tried to attach a picture of the side camera quality vs the rear camera quality. Pictures taken with iPhone, which didn't come out that great.

Thanks!
I totally agree with your comments and assessment. The quality seems especially poor at night. I look forward to the responses. I have a 2018 lounge.
TX-Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
New Member
 
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Newport Beach , California
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
I guess my suspicions are correct that the rear camera is just low quality and performing as it was designed.. sigh.

Maybe I will stop by the Airstream service center and see what's possible for upgrading it.
AirstreamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Naperville , Illinois
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 12
I totally agree with all the comments. I too have a 2018 Grand Tour Ext. The side mirror cameras are very clear, but the rear camera is very dark in comparison and terrible at night. I've tried to make adjustments in "settings" but it changes the view for all cameras, not each separately.

In addition I wish the controls on the RVM were slightly illuminated so you can make adjustments in the dark. I look forward to hearing the response at the service center.
Windchaser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

 
2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 634
I always blamed the monitor for the poor rear picture quality, and it is probably partly true. That said, if your side cameras play that much better through the same monitor, your rear camera is the single biggest item in need of upgrading.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Sherwood , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 33
The 2019 Grand Tour is no better. I was just about to post on the poor quality after our second outing. Really almost useless most of the time. The quality is slightly better in cloudy or shadowy conditions. But totally wiped out in sun and glare. Agree the side cameras are better, but not great. A real disappointment considering the great picture on the backup camera on our GMC Acadia. That camera is crystal clear, adjusts to the ambient light and provides guidelines to help back up. Would also be interested if anyone has upgraded the AI rear camera. The prospect bothers me somewhat considering available technology and the AI sticker price! As an add on comment, the screen in the Fusion display also is useless in bright sun and glare. Again, donít have that problem in the Acadia.
hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
downers grove , IL
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 7
I can live with the daytime performance, but the rearview camera is most annoying at night when the image is just a glow of headlights at some indeterminable distance. I'll be an upgrader if a good replacement camera option is available.
gkoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
Wannabe RV'er in training
 
Alex AVI's Avatar

 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,546
AIRSTREAMGT - Yes, it could be better, definitely not in same league as my Nexar Halo dashcam, but IMHO in ain't totally trash either. I am the 1st one to criticize AS for any & all of the cheapo stuff they do/use in the AI but the rear camera is not at top on my list. Yes, it can use better nighttime sensitivity & resolution. As far as replacing the rear cam, it would take a major improvement for me to replace it. I have no issues with daytime use. It has been usable for me even at night time. Some pics below taken close to 6pm tonight with different brightness & contrast combinations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181031_174918.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	326753   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181031_174953.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	326754  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181031_175048.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	326755   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181031_175110.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	326756  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181031_175135.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	326757  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Sherwood , Arkansas
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
AIRSTREAMGT - Yes, it could be better, definitely not in same league as my Nexar Halo dashcam, but IMHO in ain't totally trash either. I am the 1st one to criticize AS for any & all of the cheapo stuff they do/use in the AI but the rear camera is not at top on my list. Yes, it can use better nighttime sensitivity & resolution. As far as replacing the rear cam, it would take a major improvement for me to replace it. I have no issues with daytime use. It has been usable for me even at night time. Some pics below taken close to 6pm tonight with different brightness & contrast combinations


Thanks for the photos. I donít get nearly that quality on the rear or even the side cameras, especially in bright daylight, which is when Iíd be driving. The quality is close to your photos only when overcast or in shade. I can see a car behind me in the side mirrors, but not see that same car in the rear camera display, regardless of the brightness and contrast setting. Iíd be quite content with the quality you are experiencing. Thanks again for the photos.
hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #11
Prof. of Pending Projects
 
wachuko's Avatar

 
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,708
No issues with mine either... but you know what made it work better? Window film... as soon as I had the 3M window film installed on the side windows and windshield, because it cut down on glare, it was much, much better...
__________________
Safe travels!
Wachuko
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
TX-Newbie's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
AUSTIN , TX
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirstpb View Post
Thanks for the photos. I donít get nearly that quality on the rear or even the side cameras, especially in bright daylight, which is when Iíd be driving. The quality is close to your photos only when overcast or in shade. I can see a car behind me in the side mirrors, but not see that same car in the rear camera display, regardless of the brightness and contrast setting. Iíd be quite content with the quality you are experiencing. Thanks again for the photos.
I was about to post the same. I'm going to take a few pics later to show you my view.

Alex - would love to see your night view. Mine is the same as gkoche describes.
TX-Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #13
Prof. of Pending Projects
 
wachuko's Avatar

 
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,708
Oh... I missed the point... it is about the quality of the rear camera...

I too do notice that the side cameras provide better quality image than the rear view camera... but not enough for it to be an issue for me... Let me see if I can snap a few photos this weekend.
__________________
Safe travels!
Wachuko
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoche View Post
I can live with the daytime performance, but the rearview camera is most annoying at night when the image is just a glow of headlights at some indeterminable distance. I'll be an upgrader if a good replacement camera option is available.

I agree the quality of the night time image is terrible. I just found out how good a night image on a rear view camera could be. I recently bought a 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV. The rear view camera can be selected on the inside rear view mirror as an alternative to the normal mirror. The night image is nearly as good as the excellent day image. The system obviously has built in night vision that gives a normal image of things behind you without the glow of headlights like the image from my Interstate rear view camera.
__________________

__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 AI Lounge - Tidy up wiring & trim pieces to match MB quality Alex AVI Sprinter and B-van Forum 42 12-13-2018 12:29 PM
Rear View Camera - Turn on Hazard and rear view flashes on and off. Tao Sprinter and B-van Forum 13 07-10-2015 06:01 PM
Backup Camera as Rear View Camera Rapa Nui Tow Vehicles 10 07-10-2013 05:37 PM
Quality Back-up Camera lewster Commercial Listings 17 04-20-2008 08:55 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.