Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Newport Beach , California
2018 Interstate Airstream Rear Camera Quality

I recently bought a 2018 Interstate Grand Tour and have a question about the quality of the rear camera. In comparison to the side cameras installed in the side mirrors, the quality of the rear camera is terrible. Its hazy, dark and seems to be tilted, even though I have tried to clean the lens and move the camera all around. Sorry if this has been discussed a bunch previously - if so, please point me to the thread (I'm new to the forums).

I' wondering if:

1) This is how it should be as new, or something is wrong with my rear view camera
2) If its just a low quality camera and operating correctly, has anyone found a drop-in replacement that is more usable?

I've tried to attach a picture of the side camera quality vs the rear camera quality. Pictures taken with iPhone, which didn't come out that great.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1012.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	326613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	326614  

AirstreamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Welcome to the Forum AirstreamGT!

Your second picture has too much reflection, but your first picture is about what I get on my '2012. And it looks like they've not significantly upgraded since it looks identical to mine. They really need to do better.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
AUSTIN , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamGT View Post
I recently bought a 2018 Interstate Grand Tour and have a question about the quality of the rear camera. In comparison to the side cameras installed in the side mirrors, the quality of the rear camera is terrible. Its hazy, dark and seems to be tilted, even though I have tried to clean the lens and move the camera all around. Sorry if this has been discussed a bunch previously - if so, please point me to the thread (I'm new to the forums).

I' wondering if:

1) This is how it should be as new, or something is wrong with my rear view camera
2) If its just a low quality camera and operating correctly, has anyone found a drop-in replacement that is more usable?

I've tried to attach a picture of the side camera quality vs the rear camera quality. Pictures taken with iPhone, which didn't come out that great.

Thanks!
I totally agree with your comments and assessment. The quality seems especially poor at night. I look forward to the responses. I have a 2018 lounge.
TX-Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
I guess my suspicions are correct that the rear camera is just low quality and performing as it was designed.. sigh.

Maybe I will stop by the Airstream service center and see what's possible for upgrading it.
AirstreamGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
I totally agree with all the comments. I too have a 2018 Grand Tour Ext. The side mirror cameras are very clear, but the rear camera is very dark in comparison and terrible at night. I've tried to make adjustments in "settings" but it changes the view for all cameras, not each separately.

In addition I wish the controls on the RVM were slightly illuminated so you can make adjustments in the dark. I look forward to hearing the response at the service center.
Windchaser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I always blamed the monitor for the poor rear picture quality, and it is probably partly true. That said, if your side cameras play that much better through the same monitor, your rear camera is the single biggest item in need of upgrading.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Little Rock , Arkansas
The 2019 Grand Tour is no better. I was just about to post on the poor quality after our second outing. Really almost useless most of the time. The quality is slightly better in cloudy or shadowy conditions. But totally wiped out in sun and glare. Agree the side cameras are better, but not great. A real disappointment considering the great picture on the backup camera on our GMC Acadia. That camera is crystal clear, adjusts to the ambient light and provides guidelines to help back up. Would also be interested if anyone has upgraded the AI rear camera. The prospect bothers me somewhat considering available technology and the AI sticker price! As an add on comment, the screen in the Fusion display also is useless in bright sun and glare. Again, don’t have that problem in the Acadia.
hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
downers grove , IL
I can live with the daytime performance, but the rearview camera is most annoying at night when the image is just a glow of headlights at some indeterminable distance. I'll be an upgrader if a good replacement camera option is available.
gkoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
AIRSTREAMGT - Yes, it could be better, definitely not in same league as my Nexar Halo dashcam, but IMHO in ain't totally trash either. I am the 1st one to criticize AS for any & all of the cheapo stuff they do/use in the AI but the rear camera is not at top on my list. Yes, it can use better nighttime sensitivity & resolution. As far as replacing the rear cam, it would take a major improvement for me to replace it. I have no issues with daytime use. It has been usable for me even at night time. Some pics below taken close to 6pm tonight with different brightness & contrast combinations
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181031_174918.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	326753   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181031_174953.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	326754  

Name:	20181031_175048.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	326755   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181031_175110.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	326756  

Name:	20181031_175135.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	326757  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:06 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
AIRSTREAMGT - Yes, it could be better, definitely not in same league as my Nexar Halo dashcam, but IMHO in ain't totally trash either. I am the 1st one to criticize AS for any & all of the cheapo stuff they do/use in the AI but the rear camera is not at top on my list. Yes, it can use better nighttime sensitivity & resolution. As far as replacing the rear cam, it would take a major improvement for me to replace it. I have no issues with daytime use. It has been usable for me even at night time. Some pics below taken close to 6pm tonight with different brightness & contrast combinations

Thanks for the photos. I don’t get nearly that quality on the rear or even the side cameras, especially in bright daylight, which is when I’d be driving. The quality is close to your photos only when overcast or in shade. I can see a car behind me in the side mirrors, but not see that same car in the rear camera display, regardless of the brightness and contrast setting. I’d be quite content with the quality you are experiencing. Thanks again for the photos.
hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #11
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
No issues with mine either... but you know what made it work better? Window film... as soon as I had the 3M window film installed on the side windows and windshield, because it cut down on glare, it was much, much better...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirstpb View Post
Thanks for the photos. I don’t get nearly that quality on the rear or even the side cameras, especially in bright daylight, which is when I’d be driving. The quality is close to your photos only when overcast or in shade. I can see a car behind me in the side mirrors, but not see that same car in the rear camera display, regardless of the brightness and contrast setting. I’d be quite content with the quality you are experiencing. Thanks again for the photos.
I was about to post the same. I'm going to take a few pics later to show you my view.

Alex - would love to see your night view. Mine is the same as gkoche describes.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Oh... I missed the point... it is about the quality of the rear camera...

I too do notice that the side cameras provide better quality image than the rear view camera... but not enough for it to be an issue for me... Let me see if I can snap a few photos this weekend.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoche View Post
I can live with the daytime performance, but the rearview camera is most annoying at night when the image is just a glow of headlights at some indeterminable distance. I'll be an upgrader if a good replacement camera option is available.

I agree the quality of the night time image is terrible. I just found out how good a night image on a rear view camera could be. I recently bought a 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV. The rear view camera can be selected on the inside rear view mirror as an alternative to the normal mirror. The night image is nearly as good as the excellent day image. The system obviously has built in night vision that gives a normal image of things behind you without the glow of headlights like the image from my Interstate rear view camera.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
TXNEWBIE - couple shots from last night. Not the best shot, had to get them at stop lights, had no one with me to get a nicer shot. Setting B70% C70%

AIRSTREAMGT - Just got back from dealer for some minor warranty work. Saw this new rear cam on an AI Slate Edition. Asked tech & foreman if it was better than my existing. They said a little bit but not enough to spend money to replace. Looks like aftermarket solution would be the way to go. I was already contemplating a 2nd rear cam at hitch level anyway, so the search is on
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181101_115411.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	326823   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181101_115448.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	326824  

Name:	20181101_115610.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	326825  
Old 11-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Pretty impressed with the night vision from my Nexar dashcam. I will try to adapt my extra Nexar as a 2nd rear cam. It has much better resolution and wide angle coverage is almost 180°
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181104_152840.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	327025  
Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

AUSTIN , TX
Quote:
TXNEWBIE - couple shots from last night. Not the best shot, had to get them at stop lights, had no one with me to get a nicer shot. Setting B70% C70%

AIRSTREAMGT - Just got back from dealer for some minor warranty work. Saw this new rear cam on an AI Slate Edition. Asked tech & foreman if it was better than my existing. They said a little bit but not enough to spend money to replace. Looks like aftermarket solution would be the way to go. I was already contemplating a 2nd rear cam at hitch level anyway, so the search is on
That pic is so much better than mine. I'm out of town right now but will post one later in the week. Maybe moisture for in mine or something but it looks like I'm looking underwater without my contacts. Ugh.

Thanks for posting Alex.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Pretty impressed with the night vision from my Nexar dashcam. I will try to adapt my extra Nexar as a 2nd rear cam. It has much better resolution and wide angle coverage is almost 180°

Wow, that's the kind of picture we deserve for our rear view! Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I had long assumed that the quality of the picture of the AI rear camera was normal. But we just bought a Honda CR V and can now understand why all of you are complaining. The AI camera is (just barely) useful for telling me what I have to know in low light conditions - that there is something back there somewhere, so be careful.

I have yet to figure out how this happens, but it seems that when it starts to rain the first drop of rain always lands smack-dab on the middle of the camera lens, rendering it nearly useless. About all it is good for then is telling me that the upper brake light is working - since it glows red when I step on the brake!
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Bellingham , WA
I have the same issue on my 2018 interstate and was hoping someone would post a solution
romanf17 is offline   Reply With Quote