Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISGM View Post
Great knowing the update is a reality for Airstream Interstates!!!

Please keep us posted about whether the Crosswind Alert flashes on activation...I've watched the MB Crosswind Assist videos and would love to know that it's operational on my AI as another great safety feature....

My service date is 21 Feb and I believe the Service Advisor very experienced based on meeting experience during my Pre/Post-Delivery Inspection sessions.
I do hope you get more information... I kept asking my service representative and I could tell he did not know what we were talking about... since he was new I did not wanted to put him on the spot...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I do hope you get more information... I kept asking my service representative and I could tell he did not know what we were talking about... since he was new I did not wanted to put him on the spot...

Doesn't matter the he was new. Most service reps are merely salesmen and know little about vehicle technical details. Better to get info from senior technicians in the shop.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Done... but service advisor is new to the position and was not able to tell me much...

Maybe others will get more information during their visit...
Since this just came up in another thread, I thought I'd revisit this one.....

In your pic of your work order, for the addition of Crosswind Assist (B Recall 2018010001/NC3SEIWIND), it says "Update the ESP Software", and then a few lines down says "2014 Campaign performed, updated ESP control unit".

WTH?!?!? The recall from the NHTSA # 17V804 indicates this was only for "certain model year 2017 Sprinters". So.....does this really apply to Sprinters going back as far as 2014???

@wachuko, have you had a chance to drive your rig in the wind and confirm this update actually did something???
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #24

Orlando , Florida
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
...@wachuko, have you had a chance to drive your rig in the wind and confirm this update actually did something???
I have not... our next trip is March 16
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Reviving this old thread because curious minds just need to know....

So, what's the verdict here kids? Does this update really add Crosswind Assist to our '17's? Wachuko you've had your rig out a few times since getting this update, what did you discover?
Old 06-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #26

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Reviving this old thread because curious minds just need to know....

So, what's the verdict here kids? Does this update really add Crosswind Assist to our '17's? Wachuko you've had your rig out a few times since getting this update, what did you discover?
Nope... I do not notice any difference in reaction to strong crosswinds... but it was great while the placebo effect lasted...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Nope... I do not notice any difference in reaction to strong crosswinds... but it was great while the placebo effect lasted...
So, no notification on the pixel display like the one further up in the thread either?
Old 06-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #28

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
So, no notification on the pixel display like the one further up in the thread either?
Correct. No notifications in the display.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Correct. No notifications in the display.

Thanks. You saved me a trip to the MB dealer for this.....
Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
There are few places in the US where strong winds and violent crosswinds are a part of daily driving than the high deserts of NV, Cal, Utah, CO, AZ. This region is my playground and 20mph crosswinds is child's play. We don't even grab the steering wheel tight until we are above 25-30mph cross. So, during my recent trip to CO, the AI got hit broadside by winds I have never experienced before. To my estimation, it had to be over 40mph. I base this on previous crosswind scenarios when I was using AI locally on very windy days. The broadside hit was so strong, I felt like a semi broadsided us. Put another way, the horizon view from my windshield tilted about 15-20°. My head snapped left then back upright. It happened so fast, I had no time to get scared. It was pure reaction & instinct from driving experience. To my knowledge, I never left my lane, because the lane assist red icon and warning never activated. It did feel that the vehicle slowed bit, but unsure if it was my foot instinctively letting off gas. I was also going close to 75mph on wide open highway, with 80mph speed limit. The top swayed left once, it recovered like a spring once, back to upright. It never did an over correction past vertical center line, as one may expect with a soft suspension. No crosswind icon appeared on display. If there was such a thing, I guarantee everyone I would have seen it activated within first week of ownership in Las Vegas or by now. I can only credit this to the VB Air rear suspension. They specifically advertise this to "reduce cornering sway and crosswind sensitivity". I have nothing to compare it to since I have not driven any other 3500, only a shorter 2500 w/o VB Air.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:45 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone NP from Missouri. When crossing South Dakota on the way there and Nebraska on the way home I believe the Cross Wind assist activated several times. It felt like the anti lock brakes were activated. One time I noticed the dash light up stating something about Cross Wind but it went off too fast to read the whole thing.

I would recommend that everyone get the software update from MB.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote