Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #1

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Irvine , California
2014 AI lithium upgrade

Hello all. I'm looking for a little guidance on my recent lithium upgrade. I replaced my 5-80A Lifeline AGM's with 2-100A Battleborns. Do I need to remove/replace the Precision Circuits BIM to ensure proper charging of the coach and chassis batteries?
Mjody3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
I'm taking on a Battleborn replacement of lead acid batteries in my new-to-me 2013 AI Ext Lounge, and from what I've learned from users like gmillerok1 and lewster, uncle_bob, and others in the forums here is that you'd remove the OEM BIM and add a dc-dc charger between the alternator and the batteries. There are several threads where this is discussed as a peripheral part of the main conversation, but I haven't found a detailed thread on this topic specifically. Here's an example of one http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2222648

My components will be delivered in the next week or so and I'll be tackling this project shortly thereafter to get ready for our first trip out on the rig around Lake Michigan.

Hopefully some users with experience in this can weigh in with their recommendations as I've had to piece things together from several threads.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
You can see my recent upgrade here:
2015 GT 300 Ah Lithionics Battery Upgrade
http://www.airforums.com/forums/show....php?p=2229431

I removed the OEM BIM and replaced with a Chargemate Pro 40 to comply with MB alternator draw recommendations. Mine disconnect the alternator with the lithium bank is fully charged. There are other options you could use available from battleborn.
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Thanks for the link Schmitte - great job on the install. At Battleborn's recommendation, I have a Sterling 60 amp battery to battery charger and the Magnum ME-ARC50 (they aren't stocking the ME-RC50 any longer) remote coming. Battleborn recommended against the their LiBIM225 for only a 2 battery bank, as they were concerned the amp draw from the alternator would be too great over the long term and battery longevity would be impacted.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
You can see my recent upgrade here:
2015 GT 300 Ah Lithionics Battery Upgrade
http://www.airforums.com/forums/show....php?p=2229431

I removed the OEM BIM and replaced with a Chargemate Pro 40 to comply with MB alternator draw recommendations. Mine disconnect the alternator with the lithium bank is fully charged. There are other options you could use available from battleborn.
The only possible issue with the Chargemate is that it is not designed for lithiums. It will work, yes, but will not fully charge the lithium bank. In addition, the Chargemate manual explicitly warns not to mix different types of batteries. I will likely be using this charger that has a profile specifically for lithium.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateallen80 View Post
Thanks for the link Schmitte - great job on the install. At Battleborn's recommendation, I have a Sterling 60 amp battery to battery charger and the Magnum ME-ARC50 (they aren't stocking the ME-RC50 any longer) remote coming. Battleborn recommended against the their LiBIM225 for only a 2 battery bank, as they were concerned the amp draw from the alternator would be too great over the long term and battery longevity would be impacted.

That's a good recommendation. I prefer the Redarc for size and ease of use, however, it is limited to 40 amps. I understand Redarc is coming out with a new higher amp model.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
The Chargemate / MB alternator will charge my bank to 99% SOC, which is good enough for me
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
The Chargemate / MB alternator will charge my bank to 99% SOC, which is good enough for me

Actually, lithiums like to be stored at less than full charge, so that may actually be a good thing anyway.