Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
2015 GT 300 Ah Lithionics Battery Upgrade

Here are a few pictures from my nearly complete DIY battery upgrade
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	337809

The 300 Ah GTR series fits perfectly under the couch on the curbside. I built a small platform to raise the battery a couple inches in order to avoid interference from the lounge frame and make the restraining bar

Name:	IMG_0512.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	337811

View from the rear doors showing a 225 a class T fuse directly after the positive terminal

Name:	IMG_0511.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	337812

View from under lounge showing the power on/off button, which is a really nice feature when hooking things up. The 16 awg wire is used to turn on and off the BIM for alternator charging based on SOC.

Name:	IMG_0509.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	337813

Charge master charge mate 40 BIM turned on and off based on SOC from lithionics BMS via the aforementioned blue wire (switches ground)

Name:	IMG_0508.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	337814

Shows the Road side jump seat area. SB64 selenoid was removed and replaced with a switch under the main DC switch. A Victron MPPT solar controller and BMV 712 shunt was installed. I also added a positive terminal block to extend the alternator wire to the chargemate 40.

With regards to the Magnum, Lithionics confirmed today that the AGM1 charge profile available with the MMS1012 is acceptable (although not ideal).

Name:	IMG_0510.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	337815

Finally, here it is... all working!

I still have a few more things to complete:

- Install 300 watts of Renogy solar panels and remove OEM flex panel

- Relocate solar circuit breaker to the area near the inverter and main DC switches

- Fix communication issue with BMV 712

It was a big job, but I was able to get all this done in a full weekend and a few evening after work

Looking forward to losing the cord this summer!

Eric
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
That is really awesome. So did you pull the AGMs out from under the van?
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Eric - great job. That look like a very professional installation.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
That is really awesome. So did you pull the AGMs out from under the van?

Yes, they are sitting in the garage
Old 04-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Eric - great job. That look like a very professional installation.

Thanks! That means something coming from you
Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Eric,
Kudos to you on a sweet upgrade! Would you share with those of us thinking of doing the same, a ballpark $$ amount to switch over to lithium?

Thanks
Mark
Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Thanks Rig Rat. The biggest expense is obviously the battery which can run from approximately $1000 / 100 Ah to more than twice that. The additional cabling, switches, solar panels etc was probably another $1000. I chose to invest in Lithionics battery (one of the more expensive options) based on my independent research and several conversations and email exchanges with the good folks at Lithionics.

Hope this helps
Old 04-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
Attachment 337809

The 300 Ah GTR series fits perfectly under the couch on the curbside. I built a small platform to raise the battery a couple inches in order to avoid interference from the lounge frame and make the restraining bar

Attachment 337811

View from the rear doors showing a 225 a class T fuse directly after the positive terminal

Attachment 337812

View from under lounge showing the power on/off button, which is a really nice feature when hooking things up. The 16 awg wire is used to turn on and off the BIM for alternator charging based on SOC.

Attachment 337813

Charge master charge mate 40 BIM turned on and off based on SOC from lithionics BMS via the aforementioned blue wire (switches ground)

Attachment 337814

Shows the Road side jump seat area. SB64 selenoid was removed and replaced with a switch under the main DC switch. A Victron MPPT solar controller and BMV 712 shunt was installed. I also added a positive terminal block to extend the alternator wire to the chargemate 40.

With regards to the Magnum, Lithionics confirmed today that the AGM1 charge profile available with the MMS1012 is acceptable (although not ideal).

Attachment 337815

- Relocate solar circuit breaker to the area near the inverter and main DC switches

It was a big job, but I was able to get all this done in a full weekend and a few evening after work

Eric
Very nice!! I did renogy panels yesterday. The panels I bought were too wide to fit in the old flex panel spot so I wish I would have gotten this one instead. https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-wa...l-new-edition/
Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Quote:
Attachment 337809

Attachment 337811

Attachment 337812

Attachment 337813

Attachment 337814

Attachment 337815

Eric

Here’s a quick update on where things stand...

1) Solar panels have been installed and Victron MPPT set to lithium’s. I did 300 watts total; 2 panels behind the AC and another one where the original flex panel was located. I wired them in series to keep the current low and allow use of existing wiring. The hardest part was caulking around the AM solar Bigfoot mounts. If I had to do it again I would spend the extra $ for the Rocker mounts.

2) Bad news: the magnum MMS1012 charger sucks for LiFePO4. The charge algorithm will not start bulk/absorb charging unless the battery is 12.8 v or less, which will almost never happen (unless you completely discharge). If the voltage is >12.8 it bypasses bulk/absorb step and goes directly to float. You can still charge, but it’s slow and will not reach 100% SOC.

SOLUTION: Buy a new inverter/charger.

So, this weekend I will be installing a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000. This will give me 80 amps for charging and the inverter will support the microwave if we need to make some popcorn or warm up a burrito. It was the smallest 2000w inverter recommended so I hope to fit it into the same location as the Magnum. Will post pictures when Install is complete.

3) Some more good news: The Chargemate 40 BIM is working great. Turns on when SOC is 80% and off when battery is fully charged.
Pumps ~35 amps into the battery when the engine is running

More to come after the weekend

Eric
Old 04-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Thank you for this thread! Your challenge with the inverter/charger answered a question I had. Size wise the Xantrex will fit in the same location (4"x10.8"x15.4" vs the stock one in there at 4.7x8.4x16.6). I was looking at that one and at the Victron EasyPlus (Victron being only a 1600 unit but longer and afraid it might not fit at 4x8.5x20.5)...

Can you share photos of the panels and how those were mounted?
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Wachuko,
You have provided so much inspiration and motivation to so many. I’m just happy to provide something useful
Here are some pictures of the panels installed

Name:	IMG_0555.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	593.2 KB
ID:	338338Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	338339Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	338340

PS
I was just looking at your propane refill mod and will be attempting that in the near future
Old 04-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I think you’ll enjoy the new battery and solar. Even more so if you put an easy start on your roof AC. :-)

The inverter/Chargers are alright. Just be aware that without a dedicated charge controller, your charging profiles will always be a compromise. Ideally with LiFePO4 batteries you would terminate charging when the batteries are full instead of floating with a 2A charge current..
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
LB_3,

I'm already impressed with the battery/alternator and solar charging over the past few days. I can leave the main power on with fridge running and never go below 90% SOC. I do have the Microair easy start on my wish list. But as you might guess from the residual snow in the last pictures it's not a high priority right now in Chicago.

I have a question related to battery isolation that you may be able to answer. I remember seeing somewhere in Wachuko's thread that it's important to have the BIM disconnect the battery banks if the generator and engine are both running. I'm having a hard time understanding why this would be the case. Once the generator starts (from house bank) its no longer connected. It then supplies AC to the charger which can convert back to DC and charge the battery. As long as my cables are sufficient I don't see why there should be an issue if the charger, alternator and solar are all feeding the battery bank. They just need to stop when the batteries are full, right?

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Eric
Old 04-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #14

Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Wachuko,
You have provided so much inspiration and motivation to so many. I’m just happy to provide something useful
Here are some pictures of the panels installed

PS
I was just looking at your propane refill mod and will be attempting that in the near future

Thank you!! Are the mounts glued in place or did you drilled the roof?

Nice and clean install. I like it! Glad to see that there is plenty of space for mounting these without having to install rails on the factory location. Would had been an issue on the awning side.
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
No drilling! The mounts come from AM solar with 3M VHB tape already applied. Just bolt the mount to the panels, place them where you want them and remove the backing. Once they touch the roof they’re stuck. No repositioning is possible
Old 04-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
So I have the new inverter and I should be able to fit it under the seat with some mods.
Question:
I would like to be able to run the microwave off the inverter as well as generator or shore power what is the right way to connect the inverter to the microwave? I assumed it would be obvious when I could see the wiring but it’s not
Old 04-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Xantrex XC Freedom 2000 just fits in the space where the old magnum was. It’s all the will fit, though. I needed move the solar controller and chuck the BMV shunt. Also needed to make a new wider base. Here are some pics

Name:	IMG_0561.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	338668Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0564.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	338669Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	338670
Old 04-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #18

Orlando , Florida
Nice job!

Did you figure out how to make the microwave work through the inverter? Is it as easy as moving the wiring for that outlet to a circuit in the fuse panel that is wired to the inverter already? Must make sure breaker is rated for the correct amps. Or more involved than that?

Had to bookmark this thread. Lots of things that I will be following your footsteps.... will keep AGM batteries for now...but planning that inverter upgrade and solar panels swap....

Seeing how much space you had left, makes me think that I can fit the Victron in there as well...

Thank you for documenting the upgrades!!
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
I wasn’t exactly sure how to wire the microwave appropriately so I just wired the AC output same as the Magnum. The AC wiring will have to wait until another time

As for mounting the solar controller next to the Xantrex under the seat... but you want to make sure you can reach the breaker in the Xantrex and the bolts that hold the seat frame and top panel in place.
I actually think my new location under the lounge next to the water heater is even better.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #20

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
...I actually think my new location under the lounge next to the water heater is even better.
Did not think about that location... much better. Let me measure it and see if it fits without mods to that box. Thank you!
WBCCI #26769