Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
What to do with our dog in National Parks?

My husband and I recently bought a 2019 Flying Cloud and are super excited about traveling around the USA with our dog and hoping to visit all the National Parks. What does everyone else do with their pets while they are touring/hiking in the parks and it is warm out? We are concerned about leaving our dog in the airstream incase the AC stops running. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sue
BoulderRoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
Unless it is going to be ridiculously hot, open the windows and turn on the vents and they will be fine, especially if you have the rig in shade. Not applicable to open, sunny areas like Big Bend, Arches...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
What to do with our dogs in the National Parks

We just purchased a Home Minder Video and Temperature remote monitoring system for our Airstream. It has WiFi connectivity and Smartphone viewing and alerts.
We have 2 mini schnauzers and often leave them in the Airstream when we go places they can't. Although we never leave them for more than five hours, we bought this so we can make sure the AC is functioning properly and the temperature is comfortable for them.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Our lab loves his crate and I will situate it in the shade with water and he is good in most cases, sometimes we leave him inside the trailer with windows and door open and screen shut. If the situation is not safe to leave him with shade we don't go. The state parks are tough for us dog owners.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
Check with the National Park. Many have kennel facilities. I believe Grand Canyon Does.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
What to do with your dogs

Take them with you.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA110085_martha-stroller.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	342018   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7300085-dogs-in-truck.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	342019  

Name:	P8080072-Yellowstone-store.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	342020   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8110062-Jackson-dogs-martha.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	342021  

Name:	P8110079-Jackson-dogs-martha-dave.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	543.3 KB
ID:	342022   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8110063-Jackson-dogs-martha.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	342023  

Attached Images

David Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ok, that proves I’m not the only one that travels with 5-6 dogs. We’re down to 4 now, sadly, but they all love to travel with us.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Many of the Parks these days do not allow dogs on the trails.

There are also often rules about not leaving pets unattended in your vehicle, and campgrounds that don’t want them left unattended at your site, even inside your rig.

Presumably, because of potential danger to your pet...and, because sometimes dogs left behind howl until their owners return.

Always be prepared for pet ownership dictating where you can and can’t go.

I, personally, would never leave Lily in a strange kennel, as she would be afraid.

If she can’t go, and rules or weather dictate she can’t stay behind in the Interstate, I don’t go.

Maggie
Old 05-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Pet Safety Monitor

We leave our two dogs, with air conditioning on, in trailer, using a pet safety monitor to alert us to any issues. This has worked well for us. We never leave them for more than a few hours. Will take the dogs with us if road touring in the parks.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I, personally, would never leave Lily in a strange kennel, as she would be afraid.

If she can’t go, and rules or weather dictate she can’t stay behind in the Interstate, I don’t go.

Maggie

A true pet owner...
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
What to do with our dog in National Parks?

In Yellowstone, although completely unofficial, dogs are okay on the beach of Yellowstone Lake behind the Fishing Bridge Visitor Center. You can also view Old Faithful from the paved pathway immediately west of the Old Faithful Inn. Otherwise, your dog can go anywhere paved and, if you need to step off into the grass for "business" purposes, no one is going to grump at you.

Only one dog friendly trail. It is unnamed and runs from the lakeshore just west of the Yellowstone Lake Hotel and runs about half a mile to the loop road. All other trails and boardwalks are off limits.

Keep a close eye on your dog anywhere in YNP. Every year, the coyotes get a few.

Campgrounds all accept pets, usual leash restrictions.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Alexandria , Virginia
Hi Sue,currently at Jackson Hole Grand Teton NP with daughter and Henry the French Bull dog(27lbs).Park rules he must be on a leash at all times; now dealing with a high 64 degree temp and only left him once in the trailer for one hour with fantastic fan on.I follow the 70 temp rule with Henry if the indoor temp in either the TV or TT can reach a higher 70 temp then he is never left alone.Also he is a documented comfort dog and as a retired disabled veteran have never been denied entrance to any govt,public or private facility.
Ron1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Unless it is going to be ridiculously hot, open the windows and turn on the vents and they will be fine, especially if you have the rig in shade. Not applicable to open, sunny areas like Big Bend, Arches...
I concur
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Yes, take them with you. It's a constraint, but not as bad as might be expected. One of us will sit outside with the girls, while the other explores the attraction. Then we switch off. Not all places allow this approach, so we vote with our pocket book and do not visit those places. The suggestion that is often provided is to hike outside the confines of the NP on BLM land where controls on pets are less restrictive. Mystic Seaport was very supportive when we asked. We are looking forward to visiting Williamsburg. Just checked Montechello and they allow pets outside. That precludes the use of the shuttle bus, but it's supposed to only be a 1/2 mile stroll.

Check ahead. If no policy is shown on the website, call or write. And if you hit a wall, explain that you are a responsible pet owner and express your desire to visit their attraction under controlled circumstances. Maybe next year they will have a less restrictive policy.

Enjoy travel with your pets. It adds a lot. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Bokeelia , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
We just purchased a Home Minder Video and Temperature remote monitoring system for our Airstream. It has WiFi connectivity and Smartphone viewing and alerts.
We have 2 mini schnauzers and often leave them in the Airstream when we go places they can't. Although we never leave them for more than five hours, we bought this so we can make sure the AC is functioning properly and the temperature is comfortable for them.
Please share the brand and model of you video and temperature system used when traveling.
gamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
We were at the Grand Canyon 3 weeks ago. Bailey stayed at the Kennel one day. The Kennel is very accommodating, clean, with open spaces and in Bailey's case, lots of elk to bark at. The other days I stayed in the parking lots with Bailey and walked her, and my husband did the hikes around the rim. Also the campsite at Mathers is very large with "street" places to walk yourself and the dog. I have vertigo, so it was a win win for me. I didn't have to look over the edge, and got to spend time with my dog. We were also at Arches, and stayed at Devil's Garden. The campsite was beautiful and large enough to have her tied up outside when we were there. When we go out on our own, she stays in the camper and mainly sleeps. We were there when the temps were in the 40's and 50's., so she snuggled up into the quilts on the bed.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Smile Woof

Some cheap Chinese restaurants will even pay for the dog.
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Oh boy is this going to fire things up.
But to clarify - dog is expensive and not served all the time in China. It is considered a winter item only as it is warming to the body. Also, it is only served in the northern provinces.
Now donkey is a regular every day meal item in most regions.
And for inquiring minds....no I fortunately was not there in the winter when my clients were hoping to take me to dinner to experience how warming it is.
Now we should stop the derail and let the conversation get back to its original intent.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #19

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
Thank you everyone for your feedback! Buddy our dog really appreciates all your thoughts and is looking forward to our future journeys.
BoulderRoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I have this to add to the conversation.

We were at Yellowstone 2 years ago with our dog. Stayed at the Madison campground (which I highly recommend--it's beautiful.)

We had unseasonably warm weather. Mid to high 80's and sunny in the afternoons.

Because the campgrounds in the national parks (mostly) don't have electric hookups, it is not possible to run AC.

Since it was too warm to leave our dog in the trailer with the fan on, we ended up having him with us, inside the truck, with the AC on, and driving around a lot in the afternoons.

This resulted in us having to change around some of our planned activities.

We had been there 2 years before same time/totally different weather.

So do know that your plans may need to be flexible.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote