Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
"Pit" Owners- I have a question.

I do indeed seem to be posting a lot- but I am getting ready to reno my first airstream, and will be full-timing and traveling a lot. One of my darling girls is indeed a pit mix. Now, I have an advantage over some owners, and can present people with her CGC, her therapy dog certificate, and soon a certificate as a SAR dog. Sometimes, I even give them this: (Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull) when I am feeling especially bold.
However, after doing a lot of research (yes, I over re-search, you should have seen me picking fabrics and learning the entire airstream plumbing system in case I need to make my own repairs) An I find that I am getting more and more nervous that some breed bans are enforced by the someone's "visual inspection" and deeming that the dog falls under the regulation regarless of any action on the dog's part. Am I being unreasonalbly nervous about traveling through cities and regions with Pit bans? Are there fellow Pit/ Mutt owners out there with personal experience or advice?
Carmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I don't think that you need to be worried. I first of all cannot stand the insane laws that do such things, and wouldn't live in a town that is run by such idiots, so if you're just traveling through, I wouldn't worry. If you have to stay in a campground in a town that is that way I guess I'd just never leave my dog out where some fool could get to her without having to go through me. Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think you're worrying too much. A well behaved dog probably isn't going to attract any attention anyway. When making reservations I've never had anyone ask what kind of dogs we had, and when checking in all they usually say is to keep them on leash. Our dogs aren't pits, but at least out here at state and county campgrounds, no one has asked anyway.

Congrats on having your CGC and Therapy dog certifications. Our pooch just got both of those, and I'm very proud of him.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Private parks

There seem to be some private parks in California that are breed restrictive and pits are on that list but I don't think that the state and national parks have the same restrictions.......I think it may have to do with insurance restrictions and California has had some high profile pit bull cases so thay may be why they are restrictive. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are a good number of private campgrounds out there with breed and/or size restrictions. We have seen these notifications when looking up campgrounds, also been asked when we call about a site---what kind of dog we have and how much she weighs.

I suspect they will care not how good your particular dog is, and you will just have to avoid these places. That said, there are plenty of places that are very dog friendly and lots of other dog lovers out there.

Maggie
Old 02-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi carmilla

while just 'traveling through' cites/towns with NO PIT ordnances is probably not an issue...

((typically enforcement is based on some1 calling in a complaint/report))

there certainly are OTHER real issues to consider...

1. like camping in rv parks...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...rks-45644.html

i have actually SEEN campground owners/attendants give campers the boot 4 specific dogs...

they also may have 'size/weight' exclusions used to boot other types of pooches.

some rv park owners report that THEIR liability insurance makes this canine profiling necessary.

which leads to the other issue 4 u 2 consider...

2. remaining personally insured 4 liability issues.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...icy-47303.html

some rv insurance plans now include 'pet care'.

but that will require u to let them KNOW you have a pet.

and the wording in a LOT of insurance policies is pretty specific on this breed issue.

some plans will simply not accept specific pooches and others will let you PAY MORE or 'exempt coverage'

while cGc certificates or 'therapy certif' or "service dog" may be attached to a specific dog,

it's still tricky to get "official" blessings for some breeds.

u might wanna invest in some animal'flage like antlers

Click image for larger version

Name:	gotantlers.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	122684

or big ears...

Name:	gotears.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	122685

and for the veggie's out there...

Name:	flowerdog.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	122686

or just carry a jaydog disguise ...

Name:	jaydog.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	122687

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Cute! Except the jaydog. We're allergic to them I always tell people, don't worry about the Pit, just don't turn your back on the 4 pound yorkie!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Staffordshire Terrier

I have been a Pit owner for 10 years and Im very passionate about this breed of dog. My wife and I are also in the middle of a refurb and intend to travel with our 1 year old Pit (Zeus) and 4 year old Boston Terrier(Lola). One thing Ive learned is that when Im out and about with our Pit and people come to ask me what kind of dog I have and how beautiful he is, I dont answer that he's a Pit. I simply say he's a Staffordsire Terrier. Our Vet told us about doing this while in public because now the term "PitBull" scares the daylights out of people and they automatically go on defence. Our two dogs are a very big part of our lives and people have given the PitBull such a bad rep that people dont even give them a chance. Its such a sad situation. Anyone that has ever owned and loved one knows they are very loving dogs and require lots of attention and obedience.
I hope that we will not encounter to much trouble on our travels but if we do I guess the only thing to do would be to learn to be full time Boondockers.
I hope you have safe travels with your Pit mix and that people will give the dog a chance.

Does this look like a vicious dog? He nothing but 80 lbs of Love!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	122690   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	122691  

Attached Images

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Look at that adorable face! Chiyome (The tan and white in my avatar) is Staffordshore and boxer we think. She was a death row inmate at the shelter. Usually, I just say boxer mix. Love your boston too!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Don't refer to your dogs as 'pit-mixes'. Assuming that that is your crew in your Avatar, I look at them from right to left and see, a lab-mix, a couple of whippet mixes, and a Pointer mix. It's all subjective and since I don't see any pit in any of those four dogs, I would choose not to use 'pit-mix' for any of them. Let their manners and good training speak for them. Don't handicap them with a subjective label. If anyone suggests that they are pit-mixes, put the onus on them to prove such.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
2air's "big ears" picture is my personal favorite... guess why!
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Wow! That's a great looking Staffordshire!
Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Is that a full sized bull terrier or a mini? I recently saw the minis at a dog show, and of course fell in love!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla View Post
Is that a full sized bull terrier or a mini? I recently saw the minis at a dog show, and of course fell in love!

Where you asking if Zeus is a full size or mini? Didn't know who you were directing that question at.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
@Carmilla: My beefy bully bitch is a full-sized 55 lb. I was thinking about a mini when I found Trudy with BT rescue. Taking an adult rescue hasn't been without it's problems, but she's stuck with me now.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla View Post
I do indeed seem to be posting a lot- but I am getting ready to reno my first airstream, and will be full-timing and traveling a lot. One of my darling girls is indeed a pit mix. Now, I have an advantage over some owners, and can present people with her CGC, her therapy dog certificate, and soon a certificate as a SAR dog. Sometimes, I even give them this: (Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull) when I am feeling especially bold.
However, after doing a lot of research (yes, I over re-search, you should have seen me picking fabrics and learning the entire airstream plumbing system in case I need to make my own repairs) An I find that I am getting more and more nervous that some breed bans are enforced by the someone's "visual inspection" and deeming that the dog falls under the regulation regarless of any action on the dog's part. Am I being unreasonalbly nervous about traveling through cities and regions with Pit bans? Are there fellow Pit/ Mutt owners out there with personal experience or advice?

Can you tell me more about getting your dog therapy dog certified, how does one go about that?
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
Where you asking if Zeus is a full size or mini? Didn't know who you were directing that question at.

Zeus - mini Horse maybe? He is beautiful.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Beware of the mean dog's owner.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli View Post
Can you tell me more about getting your dog therapy dog certified, how does one go about that?
My dog is therapy certified as well. Classes are offered through a local dog training facility to prepare you and your dog for therapy work and explain what sort of situations you might encounter. Then they have a person who is a certified tester come by on test day and each dog is examined individually and in a group to see how they react to wheelchairs, people in walkers, children, being handled, being groomed, being left with another handler while you are out of the room, loud things being dropped, and basic manners like coming when called and walking on a leash. Usually you can earn your CGC at the same time because many of the tests overlap.

If your dog is calm and enjoys meeting strangers, it might be right up his alley.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
Therapy Dog Certification

I'd start online. There are two well-thought of certification programs.- Therapy dogs inc, and therapy dog international. That will give you all the testing requirements, and find you an evaluator in your area.
As a personal opinion, I like Therapy Dogs Inc- because they test in the actual situations your dog will be in. If you want your dog to go to schools, your dog is tested in schools. They also observe your dog three different times.
All programs require you get a CGC (canine good citizen) either before or with their program.
The best advice I received was: Take your dog everywhere!!! Introduce them to as many dogs, ill-mannered children, cranky adults, sirens, and squirrels as possible.
One of the big things is the hug- kids love to hug dogs. In the dog world- if one dog grabs another by the neck, it's a threat. For our dogs, we gave the hug a command- "squeeze" and then treated for them sitting calmly while being hugged. Please let me know what other questions you have- I could talk about dogs for days!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Reading Dogs.bmp (822.6 KB, 81 views)