Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our soon-to-be new dog!

Alki and Chester just aren't into long hard hikes anymore so I've been looking for about a month trying to find the perfect dog to add to our family. I hope we've found him! I spotted him on Petfinder. He's a lanky teenage lab mix, about a year old. He was rescued from the pound where he arrived as a stray. I emailed and the foster home gave me more info about him, and today we went to meet her at a PetSmart across town and let him meet our dogs. Everyone sniffed noses and seemed to get on pretty good. Chester wanted to wrestle, Alki just wanted to not get squished.

They want us to think about it for at least a day, but I think he's a sure bet.

His name is Romeo, but they've been calling him Buddy, which I think fits him. He is just as happy-go-lucky as he looks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Romeo1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	52285   Click image for larger version

Name:	romeo3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	52286  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Modjeska Canyon , California
Profile Dog..

The dog peaking in your avatar picture doesn't seem as excited.

We got a rescue puppy as our old German Pointer was on his last years... I must say the pointer for the later part of his life was not happy about having another dog around. We brought him home to 5 acers of land. All it could do was take a dump on the deck right next to the front door. I have a feeling they rescued it from a balcony of a condo!

Thought I would give you my two cents since our circumstances were simular.

Black Labs are great dogs and companions, and if you do decide to get him I hope they are all buddies and he was rescued from the woods
North
--
77' Tradewind
mweels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:13 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Yes, our Dalmatian was also a rescue, and he wasn't exactly the dog we'd always dreamed of Unfortunately rescue dogs do seem to come with baggage. One thing I like about this guy is he's been in a foster home for 6 weeks and he has been living in their house with their dogs and so they have good information to offer on how he should fit in.

I'm sure we can continue to spoil Alki to her expected level She survived Chester being added to the house, and recently the two cats. Hopefully one more dog won't give her too much of a headache.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Lookin' good Stephanie! We took a long walk in the mild weather yesterday afternoon -- it doesn't feel right without dog friends along. But we're working on that too...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
It looks like you'd better increase your intake of Wheaties and vitamins in order to keep up with him. This one looks ready to GO! He may have you running up the trails When we add our daughter's yellow lab to our two (Old Weimaraner and 2 year old GPS) on her visits home, life gets crazy around here. Probably your Alki will be like our Wally, and just try to keep out of the way of the two others. Best wishes for your growing family. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Congratulations!

Good for you!! Best wishes, he looks very sweet!! Romeo/Buddy looks like he'll be lots of fun on the trails! Our black lab is a lot of company on hikes, she's seven and still spunky!! She still loves to chew rawhides too!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Karma to you for going with a rescue. He's great! Labs have such a wonderful personality. He looks like he's full of life and loving it.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
More Karma to you. Both our standard poodles were rescued and yes they do come with baggage but in the end we would do it all over again.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #9
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
What a cutie! Guess it's good you're getting a bigger trailer.

Let us know where he ends up in the water dish line (or if he's even willing to go along with that program).
Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Alki and Chester just aren't into long hard hikes anymore so I've been looking for about a month trying to find the perfect dog to add to our family. I hope we've found him! I spotted him on Petfinder. He's a lanky teenage lab mix, about a year old. He was rescued from the pound where he arrived as a stray. I emailed and the foster home gave me more info about him, and today we went to meet her at a PetSmart across town and let him meet our dogs. Everyone sniffed noses and seemed to get on pretty good. Chester wanted to wrestle, Alki just wanted to not get squished.

They want us to think about it for at least a day, but I think he's a sure bet.

His name is Romeo, but they've been calling him Buddy, which I think fits him. He is just as happy-go-lucky as he looks!
Yes, kudos to you for getting a "pound puppy!" My question is, where does everyone (mainly the doggies) sleep when you are on the road? Do you bring doggie beds or is it every dog for himself on any available couch? We have a 7-year old black lab (she is spoiled as you might guess) and we plan on getting another dog prior to a summer 2008 roadtrip.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Ha ha, it's every dog for himself! Actually, Chester does not travel as well anymore. He needs frequent potty breaks during the night, and is really happy staying home with his doggie door and petsitters visiting. Alki travels better, but she gets nervous with long car rides, and sometimes the activity is a bit much for her. So really I'm thinking we'll be leaving Chester home from now on, and just taking Alki and/or the new pooch.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Steph

It's neat that you are opening your hearts and home to another rescue dog. We all come with baggage of some sort but sadly usually the rescue critters have had difficult and sad circumstances.

It will be interesting to see how the new pecking order falls out. That's our one concern right now with bringing in a new pet with an older one already here. He has really come out of his shell after 11 years of being second fiddle even though we tried hard to make sure he was treated the same.

See what happens when you get a bigger trailer? Everything else gets bigger too and now it's your family. And that is a very good thing.

Congrats,
Barry
Old 01-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Congratulations and kudos for picking up a rescue. Don't worry about the size of the trailer we are OK with our three dogs. Its the kids that require room!

By the way looks like Romeo has some retreiver in him. Maybe some short coat retreiver. A very fine dog indeed.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
What a cutie. We have 2 pound puppies (lab mixes) that are really great dogs. Buddy (our first) has the most emotional issues of our adopted bunch. It appears he was disciplined with a water hose at some point in his young life. We got him when he was 9 months old or so and he is 8 now and still doesn't like water over his head or loud noises. You couldn't ask for a better friendly / protector dog. Dusty is happy go lucky no matter what. Ivy was adopted from our neighbors so she is just a spoiled mess. Our dogs sleep on blankets / comforters in the truck and on comforters on the floor of the trailer. They sometimes sleep on the gaucho as well.

I hope everything works out and Romeo/Buddy can join your family and fit right in.
aturner4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
We will find out soon, he arrives in about an hour! I thought he would come over this weekend, but his foster mom has to be out of town this weekend, so she asked if we wanted him tonight or next week. Well, sooner the better...

Old 01-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Lucky Dog - he moves in with a familly that already has an Airstream.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Steph - he looks so cute!!! I could dig up a 100 of our Taz who is 9 now and they could be twins!

Taz too was sort of a rescue - a Farm do on a radio fence system was hmm danced with by a neighbouring Golden Male - and before anything could be done - the deed was done and a very young Lab was pregnant. The puppies were registered with the pound - but the owner agreed to raise the pups - and find good homes if possible. I had heard about them from a friend - and coud not resist a Lunch time trip - 9 years ago I ended up with Black Gold for Lunch!!!

They are (especially mixes) great companions and have super temperaments.

All the best with your new fur baby - (by the pic he has a date with the nail clippers ) So Many People out there neglect their dogs nails - and with a little effort most are easy to clip.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #18
as hopeful

EXCELLENT choice in a dog rescue. Our two gurls are both rescues. My experience is that rescues are the very best - and while they can have 'baggage', purebreds can have 'issues'. Best wishes with the new addition.
pdq1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Congrats and kudos for rescuing a pup in need. He's beautiful! My Samm is a rescue and fits our household wonderfully.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Ok, Chester thinks this is the greatest thing ever! If he dies tomorrow, this will still have been the best night of his life! Right now they're having a spat over the chewy toys in the front room, but Buddy is so submissive he even rolls over when the cats hiss at him, so I don't anticipate it being much of a scuffle.

Alki is not too sure about this. She's following me around like a shadow. I think he thinks she's a cat. The cats let him sniff them but then he didn't know what to do so he barked at them, which made them hiss, and now they're watching from high perches.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4397.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	52326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4396.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	52327  

Name:	IMG_4392.JPG