Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #21
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Congratulation on the new addition. Looks like Buddy is going to fit right in. One thing I leaned from our Yellow Lab and Lab mix is: their favorite toy is the toy the other dog has...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Stephanie,

Great pictures. It's neat to see the two dogs playing. It does look like Chester and Buddy are going to be best playmates for a while.

It will be interesting to see how Alki handles this over the next couple of days. If she joins the fun that would be great.

Good for you guys. It is always so neat when someone rescues a pet and provides it with an exceptional home.

I just read yesterday that in the Crows Nest Pass (Coleman and Blairmore) on the southern border of BC and Alberta someone heard noises coming from a rest stop outhouse and when the RCMP were called they found a bunch of lab cross puppies had been dropped down the hole. Humane society was called and they disaseembled the outhouse and retrieved the little guys, got them cleaned up, and all were adopted within a couple of days. One of the RCMP officers even adopted one.

Barry
Old 01-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #23
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
a bunch of lab cross puppies had been dropped down the hole.
Grrrr...I believe there's a special place waiting for people who do this kind of thing.

Stephanie, those pictures are so much fun. Glad to hear it's working out. Alki will get everything figured out before too long.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Stephanie,

Great pictures. It's neat to see the two dogs playing. It does look like Chester and Buddy are going to be best playmates for a while.

It will be interesting to see how Alki handles this over the next couple of days. If she joins the fun that would be great.

Good for you guys. It is always so neat when someone rescues a pet and provides it with an exceptional home.

I just read yesterday that in the Crows Nest Pass (Coleman and Blairmore) on the southern border of BC and Alberta someone heard noises coming from a rest stop outhouse and when the RCMP were called they found a bunch of lab cross puppies had been dropped down the hole. Humane society was called and they disaseembled the outhouse and retrieved the little guys, got them cleaned up, and all were adopted within a couple of days. One of the RCMP officers even adopted one.

Barry
Fortunately for those pups someone who cares came along. Hopefully fate comes down hard on whoever did that to those helpless animals.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #25
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
they look great together makes me wish paige had a friend....
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Fortunately for those pups someone who cares came along. Hopefully fate comes down hard on whoever did that to those helpless animals.

It is just awful what some humans will do...But it is true what goes around comes around....

a vision....that person when they least expect it - may have a crisis with lets see now - yes a Honey Wagon would be quite appropriate I would think. Since most laws are way way way too lenient or puts paper work and procedures ahead of a animals health and safety. Many times fate must prevail.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It's horrible the stuff people will do to animals! I hope a Honey Wagon falls on them!

We've decided to change his name. In the last 6 weeks he has been called Jerome, Romeo, and Buddy, and so he doesn't know any of them. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to start over, so we're going to call him Jasper.

We're getting our first break around the house. He's quietly laying down chewing on a bone. We've been following him around trying to show him how to interact with Alki, the goats, and the cats. It's been a LONG day already! We've been in the yard and played, he's splashed around in the swale, chased tennis balls, barked at the goats, wrestled with Chester, snuck up on a cat and licked it onthe bottom, got smacked on the nose by same cat, got growled at by Chester because Chester's an old man and he's getting tired and cranky, and went for a long hike around the lake (which wore me out but didn't do much to slow him down)!

Wish me luck!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Stephanie

You guys are some lucky people to have adopted such a character of a dog. Jasper is a great name for a dog. I hope we get a chance to meet at least some of the menagerie in person at some point.

Just think how thin you'll be if Jasper keeps this up (not that you need to be any thinner than you already are, of course), but you'll be thin as a rail and worried about strong gusts of wind making a Dorothy out of you.

There is nothing like the addition of a new pet and it's learning all about everything it sees, smells, or touches to make all the existing residents take another look and appreciate what they have.

Barry
Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
...snuck up on a cat and licked it onthe bottom, got smacked on the nose by same cat...
You know I once heard a comedian say if you want to become as rich as Bill Gates all you need to do is invent cat food that taste like cat butt and you will be able to sell it to every cat owner in America!

That cat probably didn't like Jasper getting into his/her private stash.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Romeo/Buddy is a lucky boy! Kudos/good karma for rescuing him!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Great photos, I love to see a happy dog. Just look at that grin. He and Chester look like they may be best buddies.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
When it rains hard the bottom of our pasture fills up temporarily, so we went down to play in it after a rainstorm today. That was enough to make him crash for a much-needed nap (I'm the one who needed it)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4407.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	52349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4408.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	52350  

Name:	IMG_4410.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	52351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4422.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	52352  

Name:	IMG_4435.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	52353  

Old 01-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The second picture looks cute....a white dog, a black dog & a black & white dog!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
I know, a friend had to point that out to me too, I never thought of it

Old 01-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. How is our little Alki coming along with the new addition?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Stephanie, what do you do with your goats? Do you milk? Make cheese? The photo of Jasper checking them out is charming! What a day you'll have to remember, and the pics to prove it. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #37

1968 17' Caravel
Alki is doing fine. She's been 'reluctant' to get involved, but this afternoon he got in her space and she snarled at him and he backed off, so that might give her a little more confidence.

The goats are our 'blackberry control team'. We consider them farm employees. However, since there's no blackberry vines to eat right now they're working on peeling all the bark off the trees in their pasture. Not the most useful thing they could be doing! But they are cute and friendly, so we'll put up with it. Pluss it adds just the right level of 'eccentric' when your friends find out you have goats!

Old 01-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #38
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up New friend..

Congrats on your new Friend Stephanie, looks like a real Hug'n Zoo

We just inherited Mom's cat, a rescue kitty from Pet-Smart. (the only

"pet shop" we go to, they do wonderful work with homeless pets).

Fado thinks he's got a new live toy, but Misty has stood her ground.

She even challanged him yesterday while he was in his x-pen. Gave him

one of those Halloween Cat poses, then levitated three feet straight up,

I think he realized at that point that this was not a "normal" toy, I really

think he wants to make friends, but Misty is still not sure. She was an only

cat, and the center of Mom's world, so it may take some time.

Bob,Sandra,Fado and Misty
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MOM AND MISTY.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	52430  
Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
Hey Robert, I hope Misty settles in with time. When my aunt passed away we took her cat in, but he never fit in with our crew. We finally had to find him another home, and luckily her best friend wanted him. Unfortunately her best friend lived in Oklahoma! So into a crate he went and was shipped off to Oklahoma! Everyone at the airline was really helpful, and by that afternoon he was beating up HER dog instead of ours! But eventually they learned to play and got on fine, he just needed to be the ONLY cat

Our new dog is doing fine so far. We named him Jasper (since he didn't know those other names anyway). We've been going on a walk everyday and he has a lot to learn. So do I! I'm signing up for obedience class starting in February. It's been a long time since the other dogs took classes, I need a refresher.

I forget how much Alki and Chester know, and Jasper doesn't know any of it. Today he surprised us by heading down the driveway, and so we ran away in the other direction, and he's supposed to follow, but this time he just shrugged it off and kept going! He ended up going across the road and around the neighbor's house before he came back and Dave caught him. Ok, mental note, Jasper cannot go outside the fence without a leash! Chester and Alki would never dream of going down the driveway, just a short 'No' will turn them right around, but he doesn't know what 'No' means.

I still get the feeling that once he starts catching on he's going to be a great dog. He's definitly eager to please, and has a very happy outlook. He's getting better about not chasing the cats, and I even caught him and Alki playing chase in the house the other day.

Today he was out in the yard with Chester and he had Chester's favorite tug toy. Chester was growling and I held the end of it up and Chester took it, and suddenly they were playing tug! Poor Chester is so old and arthritic I was afriad Jasper would pull him over, but Jasper was very gentle and didn't pull him around at all, and then he let go! Chester won! You should have seen him strutting around the yard with the toy, so proud he'd beat the young'n, it was the cutest thing ever!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Steph

It sounds like Jasper just needs some attention and guidance and he'll be an ideal addition to the family. That is so neat that he and Alki are already playing together, and the thing about Chester shows he doesn't need to be top dog.

I have a friend who went to obedience school with her dog after not attending for many years and she commented that she learned a lot. Her husband jokingly commented that he was getting a bit tired of suddenly being coached by his newly trained wife. We all thought it was a good fit .

Barry