Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Dog owners, we need help!

Here is our delima. We have a dog, part lab, part pit bull, but the lab part over rules. She is pretty old from what we can guess. She was given to us about 5 yrs ago by a coworker who found her starving. Anyway, there is an Aradale (not sure if that is right) in the neighborhood that got her pregnant. This morning she tried to give birth to one but couldnt so John helped her. It wasnt breatthing. She worked on it for an hr and we finally had to take it from her. So we decided to watch this time so we could help quicker and maybe the next one would survive. Question, how long is it between births? It has been about 8 or 9 hrs and not another one yet? We are getting worried. I think they are too big for her. Is it possible she only had one in there? Please any help would be appreciated.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Ouch - I'm sorry that I don't have any vet or birthing experience.

Is it difficult to get her to a vet?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I have sent you a private message. You need to get her to the vet as soon as possible. If you knew how, you could stand her up and feel if there are any more puppies; however, it should never be more than 1 hour between births. Get her moving to see if she will go in to labor again, but get her to a vet or you may well lose her. Older females have trouble having puppies. An Airdale male should not have given her that large a puppy. I'm thinking she just doesn't have the muscle tone to deliver or is just too old.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
_

. , .
if you really care about her welfare, take her to a vet er NOW or call your local vets 24 hour line...

they can do a quick ultrasound and look for viable pups, dead pups, placenta remains, bleeding and so on...

yes they can labor and produce pups for over 24 hour periods, and especially the first litter.

but the best thing to do is take her in now.

good luck and don't wait.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
vet told us it could be hrs and something about the size of her head, would depend on the length of time it took. It just seems like too long. She came out and ran around the yard like she wasnt even in labor. Maybe she just had the one in there??? gonna go check, be back shortly!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
She had a second one and the last I looked she was cleaning it up. Where she is at it is hard to see as she had it toward the back of her doghouse. Will keep you posted!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I have midwifed a few litters in my day.

I have had a few kittens from different litters that were still born. Many times I was able to jump start them with gentle vibrating hands, and or alternating warm and cool water spashes. Twice I resorted to mouth to mouth. I covered the kittens face with my mouth and gave very very gentle ( new lungs are delicate) breaths of air.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
this one was dead also. reviving didnt work. now she is curled up and asleep like nothing happened. i will see if she will let me feel her stomach but we havent been able to get her out of the doghouse. if we come inside the house, she will walk around but soon as we go out, she runs in. i think she is mad because we took her babies?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Ok I went out and put some food in her bowl and she came out to me. I felt around on her stomach and couldnt feel anything. It isnt swollen like it was. She isnt shaking any more. If there is another one in there, it is hid well. Thanks for the advice. We will take her in the morning to make sure everything is ok.
Tammy
Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Good for you. Dogs have two uterus horns, so it may be hard to feel puppies up in there. Dogs have a gestation of 63 days, no more. It is possible the puppies were in the canal too long and just died. There are several ways to get them breathing again expecially if there is a heart beat. You can have several minutes to get them to breathe; however, that's a moot point now. I have shown and bred dogs for 25 years and have never had a vet tell me it could take hours between births. The size of the "puppies" head can make a difference, but Airdales have slender heads. Usually you will note great straining and discomfort from the dog trying to deliver a big puppy, not just delivering a dead puppy. Something went wrong, but just so she makes it and you can have her spade and enjoy her for more years.
Closed Thread