Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our new dog - attempt 2

Ok, so Jasper the rescued Lab didn't work out so good. But I was still determined to find a rescue. We filled out more applications to rescues and got no responses, went to meet some border collie mix puppies who were 12 weeks old and already too much energy and too big for Alki. Met another mini Eskimo who was 5 years old and plenty mellow, but had skin allergies, and after battling Chester's allergies all these years, I just didn't want to go through that again. Seems like rescue just wasn't working out for our situation.

Sunday we went to a dog show to meet an Eskimo breeder I had been emailing with. We just wanted to check out their dogs and see what the standard size eskimos were like (Alki is a mini). She didn't have any puppies available anyway, so I figured we were safe. Then I spotted another beautiful dog there, with a face just like Alki. The breeder I had come to visit introduced me to the dogs owner, who did happen to have some pups at home (if we wanted to go look at them and meet the parents). After talking to her for a bit we decided to go see them. Of course they were adorable, and the parents were really nice dogs. We did a few temperament tests and I think they passed them ten times better than Alki would have when she was a puppy. They are breeding for conformation and temperament, which is very important in Eskimos in particular. So we surprised ourselves by putting down a deposit.

The biggest surprise was that after talking to her for a bit, we discovered that she is the breeder we got Alki from almost 13 years ago! She changed her kennel name over the years. What a surprise for both of us! Now I really feel like this was all somehow meant to be. Here we had gone to meet a completely different breeder, and she introduced us back to the lady it all started with - what are the chances of that happening? We're going to take Alki with us to pick him up next week so she can see her again!

So this is our new puppy. The breeder loves Star Trek and names some of her dogs after characters, so I went through the names in my head and decided we'd name him Barclay - get it? 'Bark' -ly! He's still home with his momma, but we'll be bringing him home next week. Alki will have about four months to teach him she's the boss before he outgrows her!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Oops, didn't get the picture, let's try again:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barclay.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	54184  

Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Oh How Cute!!!!!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Omg!

I'm not even a dog person, but I'd be dangerous around anything that cute!

Hope your new pup fits in seemlessly and is healthy and happy. Pretty pup!

Paula
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Congrats! What a cutie! Lucky Alki to have such a sweetie to be boss of!

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Our daughter has been talking up getting a dog for us. I guess she is jealous of our quiet life as she has her hands full with 2 boys. She keeps sending us photos of rescue ("Do you like this one, she's so cute.") dogs. All the dogs I've had since a boy to the Lab that was our son's (it passed away at 16 12 years ago) have been from some one else or found, as like wandered into the yard one day and stayed. I have never wanted a 'store bought' dog. So if our daughter keeps encouraging us and we do aquire a rescue dog and it doesn't work out how do you 'divorce' it?
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
One thing I liked about the 'rescue' as opposed to the pound, is that rescues work with you to make sure it's a good fit and everyone's happy, and if it doesn't work they'll take the dog back and find it a better fit.

Getting a rescue is a great way to get a dog that's a bit older and not quite as psycho as puppies can be!

Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Now you've done it... keep those photos away from my wife. Pretty please. She's been lobbying for another dog for months -- your new pup might put her over the edge and I have no desire to try to housebreak a puppy while living in a 25' Airstream! That little fellow is just too cute...
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Oh - very cute.

I'm thinking you need vacumn cleaner bags for Christmas?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Very funny, Janet! We'll see if he destroys the Caravel at South Beach!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Stephanie- Congratulations on finding the right dog for you! It sounds like a perfect match.

Wayne
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Am I reading correctly that Barclay is a Standard Eskimo? How big will he get?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
By AKC definition a miniature is 12-15" at the shoulder. A standard is 15-19". A book I have says 27-48 pounds. It's probably easier to go by the size of the parents. Not so big you'd need a Tradewind.

We "interviewed" a 48# airedale mom-to-be a couple weeks back. Nice size. She had her litter Saturday and we got the call that one is ours. Exciting times Stephanie...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Stephanie, is this one a "keeper" no matter what, or is it similar to the rescue dog?
At any rate, Barclay looks cute, but doesn't look a bit like Dwight Schultz...
Old 02-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Cute pup! Congratulations on finding Barclay. I hope we'll be seeing a lot more photos of him.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Stephanie, is this one a "keeper" no matter what, or is it similar to the rescue dog?
At any rate, Barclay looks cute, but doesn't look a bit like Dwight Schultz...
See, I knew someone would remember Barclay, one of my favorite (if minor) characters

Nope, our little Barclay's a keeper, no matter what. I know starting young we can work with him to meld him into our family. It was just too hard trying to bring in Jasper as an adult dog that already had bad habits and try to work with them and fit him into the family at he same time. At least Barclay will get started off on the right foot, and I think he'll naturally grow to fit right in.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Oh my gosh, what a wonderful story and a wonderful dog. I know lots of folks think "show people" like myself are just interest in FooFoo things; however, we have to concentrate on health and temperment or we wouldn't be successful in the ring. Our dogs are also very well treated despite what some think. You made a good decision to go to the show and at least look at the different breeds. I have rescue dogs myself, and there are a lot more pitiful animals that I want to take home and love; however, as a breeder I try to make the best decisions I can for the benefit of my breed. I don't breed often and I make sure none of my dogs end up being rescued or deserted. I love my "foundlings" and I take good care of them, but when I breed a Standard Poodle it's a healthy, well adjusted and wanted dog. You did good. Alki now has a friend for life. I wish I lived closer to your part of the country so I could see Barclay and the Caravel.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Oh my goodness - what an absolute sweetie!!! I'm always a sucker for a puppy pic. Good for you.

Makes me think of when I brought my pup home last summer - I was camping with the kids while hubby went back to town for the week to work. I was idly surfing online, checking out the local pounds (had been looking for/researching dogs for a few months by that time) when I found my dog...

Long story short I packed up the kids and high-tailed it into town to adopt her. Then went back camping with kids and a brand new puppy! Doesn't get much better than that (or more tiring for that matter!).

I started off the housebreaking saga in a 25' trailer - and I thought it was much easier than @ home (quick couple of steps and I was able to whisk her from her crate and pop her outside whenever needed).

Congrats on your new addition - pls post more pictures!
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
I agree, Juel, I think the good breeders get lumped in with the bad breeders. I was very sad seeing all the dogs in rescue who were poorly bred and poorly socialized. I really hate seeing puppies on CL from backyard breeders who bred their dogs just because they were papered, ignored them in a mud pit backyard, and then expect people to pay $500 for them! It made me want to go get the pups just to get them out of there!

Good breeders test their dogs for genetic defects, carefully consider who they are breeding and why, keep the best pup from the litter for their own program, have waiting lists for their puppies, and check you out as carefully as you check them out! Barclay will be coming with a limited registration to guarentee he will be fixed (not a problem for us). And I'm sure she will insist if we have to get rid of him, he goes back to them, so he won't end up in rescue. Again, not an issue for us.

After 7 years of fighting Chester's allergies, urinary problems, and now artheritis and back problems, compared to Alki who has never been sick until she got cancer, I can really appreciate the benefits of a well-bred dog.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Oh, puppy love!

Stef, congratulations on your new puppy. Barclay is simply adorable! I just want to hug him up.

It sounds like this will be a much better situation for your family. There are definite advantages and less doggie baggage to deal with when bringging in a puppy to the group. I'm sure he'll fit in perfectly.