Old 03-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Steph,

You guys have done a lot for that little girl and she has paid you back many times with her love and attention. Our little critters are so much a part of our lives and we hate to see that change when it isn't for the best.

She knows she is very special and not putting her through the whole process again, although hard on you two, gives her a chance to spend what time she has left reasonably comfortable and with a sense of control over herself. Barclay is going to be busy filling the big void when things happen. You are lucky you have him in your lives as well.

You are all in our thoughts.

Barry and Donna

Old 03-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
My heart sank when I saw this thread back up. All those who love the wee beasties of the world feel your sadness. For a great many of us it brings back memories of our own losses and the pain we felt. You have been a loving and trusting companion to one of God's small creatures. The rewards were great and the loss will also be great. You are in my thoughts.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #199

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Thank you all for your concerns. I know many of you know all too well how hard it is to love a beloved pet.

Barclay has turned out to be a really special guy. Really different than Alki in personality, but really sweet and good natured. He seems to know something is up and Alki is getting extra loving, and he's happy to just hang out nearby and get what he can. He also gets special walks and trips that Alki doesn't get, so it all evens out. It's wonderful that there's no jealousy.

Alki has been bounding around the house (between naps) begging for snacks like nothing is going on. I guess that's good, better than suffering. It's good dogs can't know these things. I've been playing phone tag with the oncologist to see what she thinks of the test results.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #200

1968 17' Caravel
I talked to the oncologist. She feels that the cancer may or may not be back, but that most likely she has a secondary infection going on. She suggested we log her potty breaks to see how often she is going, and then try a round of antibiotics and see if that reduces the frequency. She said her kidney levels were at the high end of normal, and that might be because of the medicine, or because the cancer is effecting the tubes to the kidneys. Lots of maybes and could be's.

She said overall her tests looked good and she has done amazingly well. She deals with this stuff everyday, and she's always upbeat about dealing with it. It is what it is, whether the cancer is back or not (and she wouldn't be surprised if it is) we just have to deal with the symptoms and as long as she is happy then we keep doing what we're doing.

Her confidence makes me feel a bit better at least.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #201
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Central , Florida
Well since Alki is still bounding around like nothing is going on.... perhaps nothing serious IS going on. We'll hope for the best!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #202

1968 17' Caravel
I know, it's so hard to guess at what's going on inside. Sometimes she's her upbeat perky self, and sometimes she mopes around and pants like something is distressing her, and that's when I really get worried. But if it's snack time she's always right there. Vet says as long as she's keeping food down and seems to be acting normal most of the time to just keep at it.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #203
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
From dealing with cancer patients, Generally what seems to happen is several good days followed by a bad day. Then Maybe a few good days, followed by a bad day. Eventually a good day will be followed by a bad day, then more bad days than good.
Good luck with Alki, we're keeping her in our thoughts.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #204
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We've been through five dogs; each one was special. We understand. Our best to all.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #205
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Steph and David, I, like many others, didn't like seeing your thread on Alki come up. I feared the worst, but I'm glad she is doing OK and is her old self most of the time. Just give her a lot of treats and everything she likes. She'll like that and so will you, knowing you are giving her everything she wants or needs. We spoiled Miss Kitty and she loved it until she said goodby, after 3 years. (I think she played us for awhile, smart cat)

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #206

1968 17' Caravel
Alki is officially TWO YEARS since her cancer treatments ended. It's been amazing having her still going like the energizer bunny. There are good days and bad days, but still more good than bad. I wanted to share a couple cute pictures of her I took yesterday. The first one is when I called her over for petting, and the second is after I asked her if she'd like a cookie - I love that perky-ears-head-tilt thing she does
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	87036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1518.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	87037  

Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #207
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Alki looks healthy as a horse! And cute to boot! Glad to hear she is still doing ok.
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #208
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Hooray!!!!

Congratulations to you and Alki!!! I know what that heart ache and worry is like. Just yesterday my Logan celebrated his 2 year anniversary against the battle of cancer too!
We are in a very elite group - dog owners who have been given the gift of more YEARS with our fur babies after a cancer diagnosis. I know how lucky you are.
Logan and I send you many furry hugs!

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #209
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Glad to hear the happy news...

Treasure the time...

Alki..Fado sez Hi...

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #210

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625 View Post
Congratulations to you and Alki!!! I know what that heart ache and worry is like. Just yesterday my Logan celebrated his 2 year anniversary against the battle of cancer too!
We are in a very elite group - dog owners who have been given the gift of more YEARS with our fur babies after a cancer diagnosis. I know how lucky you are.
Logan and I send you many furry hugs!

Mary
Yay for Logan too! It seems like a lot of us have had to deal with cancer in our pets recently. I'm glad it's gone so well for Logan as well. I have to say at this point I'm very happy with the results. Two years seems like a significant period of time considering the treatment.

ROBERT: And give Fado a Hi back from us