Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > The Pet Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
We have a 1968, while the outside is a doorknob, the inside is a lever. If the lever is in the downward position, the door will lock when you slam it. If it is in the upward or neutral position it will not lock when you close the door, so that is when you use the key to lock it. After hearing about doorknob mechanisms failing to work and people being trapped inside or stuck outside, I am glad we have figured out an escape route too.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi Foster View Post
We have a 1968, while the outside is a doorknob, the inside is a lever. If the lever is in the downward position, the door will lock when you slam it. If it is in the upward or neutral position it will not lock when you close the door, so that is when you use the key to lock it. After hearing about doorknob mechanisms failing to work and people being trapped inside or stuck outside, I am glad we have figured out an escape route too.
1968.....never mind, automatic, unwanted door locking is a feature of the newer trailers only....................I tink.

BTW, you will find a little in many of my posts....sorry.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Miami , Florida
This summer at Yellowstone my spousal unit went off to work early and locked the door behind her (protect me from???). I got up, scratched and took the dog out to do her thing. When the door closed, I was locked out.

No phone (no cell coverage in YNP housing anyway), cold, grumpy unfed dog. By the time wife got home, grumpy unfed me.

I have a door key safety wired in an unlikely place now...

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
rio rancho , New Mexico
Smile

had the same lockout situation.
solved by installing a screw in lockplate, with the head out a quarter of an inch.
when i am using a/s i just put a garden hose washer over screw head + lock lever.
now you need a key on the outside to lock the one lock, the other can't be locked.
when in storage i remove the washer + lock both locks.
+ second key is now always in t/v.
airmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
I heard a story once that a dog left in the Airstream had jumped up on the door and inadvertently locked the door leaving the owners locked out We've also been locked out once and tried to "break in" to our Airstream (impossible) through windows. We eventually had to hire a locksmith who picked the lock open in a matter of about, oh -- five seconds? We now keep a spare key hidden on the exterior of the Airstream. What an experience!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Slam it Hard Enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
I find this interesting.... Here are 3 of us with fairly new Airstreams. One person says the lock was designed that way; one says it happens accidentally, when the door is slammed; and, one (me!) who slams the door, leaving it unlocked, who has never had this happen! I also leave pets inside our trailer, so I will likely hide a spare key somewhere....just in case!
... and often enough, and I guarantee it will lock, sooner or later.
It is a design defect, not a design intention.
Never, ever leave your Airstream without the key in your pocket, especially with pets inside,
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
... and often enough, and I guarantee it will lock, sooner or later.
It is a design defect, not a design intention.
Never, ever leave your Airstream without the key in your pocket, especially with pets inside,
We have made available, a "lock out kit" at no charge.

All we need is a SASE with 2 stamps on it and we will send the kit to the addressee.

That kit, does stop the lock from engaging, when the door is slammed.

We have already shipped hundreds of those kits.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethowens View Post
3 Sets of keys.

1 for regular usage
2 to be kept in the TV
3 to be kept in the trailer
Actually I know the 3 sets of keys is only right when there is only 1 adult.

1) 1 to be kept in the TV
2) 1 to be kept in the trailer
3) 1 for each adult and each responsible child (to be determined by parent/guardian)
4) 1 for trusted friend/family member (optional since it doesn't always help on trip, can work in caravan) (sometimes can be campground management if you normally go to the same campground and trust them).
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Thanks to the forum, I was made aware of the locking misadventures before my first trip. Like Alumaholic, I never ever leave the trailer without the keys - even if I am just going a few feet away from the trailer!

Unfortunately, the people beside me also learned the hard way. The wife accidentally locked them out of their new Class "C" motorhome. Boy, was the man ever mad. I felt sorry for her. They finally had to break a window in the cab to get in.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
I am confused. (it happens often unfortunately) Our 2005 trailer doesn't lock automatically unless the inside latch is in the lock position. I do understand how a dog could lock the door by accident. Do newer trailers than ours, have a different lock so that it locks automatically unless you have the kit Andy gives out?

I do wish we had a keyless entry. We have the hidden key and try to be very careful, but one day we will lock the door by sliding the inside lock and slamming the door without thinking. I wonder if Good Sam roadside assistance will send a locksmith when that happens?
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Peoria , Arizona
Lock out

Last summer we got locked out of our Bambi 19Ft, My sister in law locked out on the 4th of July in Washington I called Good Sam Road service They had to send someone 30 miles We go in through the back Emergancy window The funny thing the sent a AAA guy
Gil Reinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Huntley , Illinois
Our dealer provided two sets of keys, we are getting a third. One for the TV, one on the rack by the camper door and one stored incase we loose one of the others. Our dealer alerted us that the door can self lock by a just a hard shut.
WE have keyless entry in our TV with a 22 FB sport, getting in would take out a window by our bed with lots of damage.
chegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #33
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
A number of years ago, I left our trailer with an Airstream/T@b/RV dealer to have a new air conditioner installed. When I returned the next day to pick it up, the door was locked. "Where's the keys?". They looked confused, then stunned. The keys were on the counter, but someone turned the interior knob on the way out and it locked. I had another set of keys back home - 20 miles.

We ended up sending the smallest employee (he was the size of a child) through the side hatch, sliding aside the mattress to get the door unlocked. Boy, were they embarrassed.

We have a "never leave the trailer without the key in your pocket" policy too. But, a third set would be a good idea.

"The Towster" 1969 Globetrotter 21' (Silver)
"The Yeti" 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 8.1 Allison Crew Cab (White)
"The Boat" Old Town Canoe Discovery 174 (Green)
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If it worth doing, it is worth doing to excess.... I had four complete sets of the four keys made in addition to the two complete sets that came with the unit. We have spare sets in both of my vehicles, the trailer has a set and my wife has a set in her purse when we are using the trailer. One of the original sets is in a safe and one set is in a garage. Now all I have to do is remember where a set is located......

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towster View Post
A number of years ago, I left our trailer with an Airstream/T@b/RV dealer to have a new air conditioner installed. When I returned the next day to pick it up, the door was locked. "Where's the keys?". They looked confused, then stunned. The keys were on the counter, but someone turned the interior knob on the way out and it locked. I had another set of keys back home - 20 miles.
That's a case where the extra set in the tow vehicle would have saved the day. Though the guy probably learned an embarrassing lesson about locking doors

Lucky our vintage door won't lock from the outside, except by using the key (can't lock it and then close it), so this is one thing we haven't had to deal with!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
It's Good to be Right

My wife was getting really tired of me insisting that she always, always, always take her keys whenever she leaves the Airstream.
She didn't really believe the door could lock itself.
Then, a few months ago it locked her out when she slammed the door closed.
She panicked until she realized she had the keys in her jacket automatically and out of habit.
She couldn't wait to tell me that she had almost been the victim of the self-locking Airstream entry latch.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
My wife was getting really tired of me insisting that she always, always, always take her keys whenever she leaves the Airstream.
She didn't really believe the door could lock itself.
Then, a few months ago it locked her out when she slammed the door closed.
She panicked until she realized she had the keys in her jacket automatically and out of habit.
She couldn't wait to tell me that she had almost been the victim of the self-locking Airstream entry latch.
We still have the "lock out kit" available at no charge.

Then slamming the door will no longer make the lock, self lock.

Just send us a SASE with 2 stamps on it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Extra keys good. But Airstreams aren't all that lockout proof. I left my purse on the side couch of my Safari 25 FB SE.

"SE" with the big windows that open wide is the key here. I was able to use my AWNING TOOL and slide it under the glass, then flip the locks to the unlocked position and viola, the window she opened!

I punched in the screen, and reached in and retrieved my purse. Used a fork handle to reinstall the screen spline, and you'd never know I'd done it. (you can slide piece of PVC pipe over the ends of the locks to prevent the unlocking of the windows if you're in a questionable neighborhood. But generally it's more trouble than it's worth.

If you hide door key, be inventive. Under the step, not so impressive. Inside the sewer cover and painted black, better.

Paula
Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
We still have the "lock out kit" available at no charge.

Then slamming the door will no longer make the lock, self lock.

Just send us a SASE with 2 stamps on it.

Andy
I'll get it in the mail today.
Ken
Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #40
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I riveted a key safe of the type used by realtors in the center of the slide on my Classic where the power cord is wound. I assigned a code that I can enter in the dark by feel if necessary.

In the safe, I have the two door keys attached with snaps to the cast top of the safe. The cast part is so bulky that there is no way I will stick the keys in my pocket and forget to replace them in the safe.

This arrangement has saved me on the road once and several times in the storage yard when I forgot to bring my keys from home. In fact, I used the spare keys last week.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote