Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Truck & Trailer Weights

The intent of this post is to start a new thread to accumulate historical data and to obtain feedback on my trailer setup, relative to the weight distribution.

The attached file contains the CAT scale weights for our truck and trailer, using our current WD hitch setup. This setup was established by obtaining vertical height measurements at the front and rear of the truck, with no trailer connected. We then connected the trailer and crancked on the WD bars until the relative differance between the previously established front and rear height measurements was restored (within about 0.75"). This was done a while back. The CAT scale weights were done today.

The GAWR, GVWR, UBW, and mfg. hitch weight values were taken from the truck nameplate and/or Airstream publish information. The actual tongue weight was obtained using a Sherline trailer tongue weight measuring system.

Connecting the trailer to the truck (no WD) appears to remove 300 pounds from the steering axle and add 1,220 pounds to the drive axle.

Adjusting the WD bars to our current setting appears to have moved 420 pounds forward to the steer axle (now at 3,900 pounds) and removed 620 pounds from the drive axle (now at 4100 pounds). In addition, 220 pounds has been transferred to the trailer axles.

I would appreciate constructive comments on this data and our current hitch setup.

Nick Meloy
01/29/2011
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TT Weights.pdf (128.0 KB, 277 views)
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lucy's Weigh-in Results

Lucy is a 2005 Safari 25FB. Her tow vehicle, Daisy, is a 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 2500. We use a Hensley Arrow Hitch System.

The weigh-in was done on a Cat Scale in Lee, Florida. Both the Airstream and the tow vehicle were all packed-up, ready to camp. Lucy's dual 30# LP tanks were full. Her fresh water tank was full, and the black and gray tanks were empty. All long trip travel gear was on board. The tow vehicle was fully loaded including a pair of Honda 2000 generators and every tool known to man. The tow vehicle also had a full tank of gas.

Here are the results:

The Airstream weighed by itself, unhooked from the tow vehicle was 7420#.

The trailer weighed by itself with the tongue on one scale plate and the wheels on another scale plate disclosed a static tongue weight of 1260#, and the main trailer weight of 6160#, for a total weight of 7420#.

The tow vehicle weighed by itself was 6680#.

The whole rig (TV & TT) weighed hooked up together was 14060#, with the tow vehicle weighing 7520#, and the trailer coming in at 6540#. This would indicate that the trailer has an effective tongue weight of 840# when the trailer in hooked to the tow vehicle and the weight distribution function is in use.

The figure that surprised me was the static tongue weight of 1240#. I arrived at the effective tongue weight by subtracting the individual tow vehicle weight (6680#) from the indicated tow vehicle weight (7520#) when the trailer was all hooked-up with the weight distribution function in place. I guess this goes to show how significant the weight distribution function is. It put 420# of tongue weight onto the tow vehicle.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3460.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	120379  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Trailer weights

Nick - thanks for the post. It helps to see how the WD system works. I know what my A/S axle weight is but want to devise a way to measure static tongue weights as we travel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also - How long have you been using the Dill TPMS? How do you reset the display when you rotate the tires? Is it performing like you had expected?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Reply to Post 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
Nick - thanks for the post. It helps to see how the WD system works. I know what my A/S axle weight is but want to devise a way to measure static tongue weights as we travel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will need some form of portable scale to measure tongue weight. This can be done with bathroom scales and appropriate lever arms; however, this is not the route that I chose. I chose to use the Sherline tongue weight scale. Google Sherline tongue weight and read about the system. It is a compact system that is easy to use.
=================================================

Also - How long have you been using the Dill TPMS? How do you reset the display when you rotate the tires? Is it performing like you had expected?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We just came back from a 1500 mile shake down trip to get the trailer ready for extended traveling this summer. This is the first use of the DILL TPMS and it worked as expected. We had no tire problems, so there is nothing to report as far as alarms. As expected, the TPMS readings do not precisely agree with my tire gauge. However, the readings are consistantly repeatable. I am comfortable that the unit will alert for a loss of tire pressure (I manually tested it), and this is the primary use for which I purchased the unit. Search the forum for my posts and you will find more information on DILL.
The DILL unit has a feature that allows you to handle tire rotation. Once installed, each transmitter stays with that wheel/tire assembly, and these are initially set up to correspond to LF, RF, LR, and RR. There is a small module in the receiver/display in the cab of the truck for each of the above locations. You move the module (unplug and plug) from the original position to the new position, and the display continues to show the pressure at the proper location.
================================================
Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Nick - Thanks for the information. I will search your other posts.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Trailer weight Distribution by individual Tire

A while back, we weighed our travel trailer on the CAT scales and got a total weight of 7,300 pounds, rigged for towing. Rigged for towing means with a full water tank, all of the misc. junk that we normally carry and weight distribution bars tensioned, but no clothing or food on board. On average, this translates to 1,825 pounds per tire.

Today, we were able to obtain individual wheel weights using portable scales. The results are (rigged for towing)

Left Front - 2,000 pounds Left Rear - 1,900 pounds

Right Front - 1,900 pounds Right Rear - 1,700 pounds

Perhaps one of the tire guys may wish to comment on these numbers.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
In the spirit of the original post, two complementary aids (posted elsewhere as well):

Ron Gratz Weight Chart for WDH

Bridgestone Tires .pdf How to Weigh an RV

As a start I would say that before & after of both vehicles -- WDH on vs. off -- gives a more accurate picture as to what is happening in regards tire loads. And I would do the TV as well. (Comments as to food & clothes being aboard from another thread are also meet).

Establishing a baseline might be seen as tedious, but it is part of establishing a range of possible adjustments -- WDH and TV tire pressure -- to account for present and future loads. The range ought to be small, overall, but should be staked out early on. How well the rig handles and brakes is at stake.

TV tire pressure readings (both overnight cold and after 1.5-hrs steady state travel speed) are also part of this. Too much rise cold-to-hot needs adjustment. And too high is deleterious as well. TT tires are always to sidewall max pressure.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 classic, scales