Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Thunder Bay , Ontario
7 Way Trailer Cord

I have purchased an 88 Excella. I need to replace the 9 pin Trailer Cord with a 7 pin cord (to connect to my 2010 Toyota Tundra).

I am new to trailers, but an old friend of extension cords.

My Question is...
Can someone recommend a quality brand of Trailer Cord that is flexible, durable, has a good wire size, and has an end that can be easily, dependably and repeatedly connected.

A related question....
Should I get a Junction Box?

...the soon to be rookie
aname4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Marshalls Corner Shop

1970 23' Safari
Clarkston , Michigan
I was an RV tech and always liked the 7 pin conns that came with the cable attached. Basically a long pigtail attached to the 7 way. You should be able to remove the cover at the front (inside) of your trailer to access where the individual wires are connected up.
drm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
Yes vintage trailer supply sells a nice bargman 7pin flat style. Be sure to get one that you don't have to adapt to your vehicle or friends--- As everyone seems to have different styles. Cheers. Ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I bought a 87 Excella and had to do a conversion to get it home. I just went to Walmart and bought a 7 pin connector and put it on the 9 pin cord. Worked fine. I have a diagram here but no way to post it. There is a diagram for the 9 pin in the manual if you got one with the trailer. The 2 extra pins were for tire pressure monitor and refigerator cut off, I think.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Wire Colors

I believe this color code will match your trailer:
White = Ground/Common
Black = +12 volts/Battery charge line
Green = Tail/Marker Lights
Red = Left turn/Brake lights
Brown = Right turn/Brake lights
Blue = Electric Brakes
Yellow = Auxillary/sometimes used for backup lights.
Hope this helps.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Relating to the unbiblical cord . . . I didn't know what to buy. I went to the best trailer shop in town and had the owner order an eight foot cord with one molded end. The molded end is a better end than the ones I buy individually. I'm happy with the cord he delivered. Don't know the brand.

The previous owner had removed the 7-way fuse panel, eliminated the connection to the break away switch, and generally had it all messed up. I bought a new fuse panel and rewired my new break away switch. I replaced all the clearance lights with LED lights on new gaskets, installed new bulbs in the other fixtures, as well as installed new lenses on the fixtures that I didn't replace.

I ignored the Airscream wiring diagram. I bought a 7-way tester and confirmed that my tow vehicle was wired correctly. I need the tow vehicle wired to universal format because I have 3 other trailers. Then I used the 7-way tester to wire the trailer plug. When I was finished, I wired my unbiblical cord the same on both ends so the cord is reversible. All my 7-way wires are fused except the hot/recharge wire that powers the trailer brakes as well as powers the breakaway switch and the electric tongue jack.

Between replacing the clearance lights, making all new gaskets, cleaning and rewiring socket grounds, installing the new bulbs, installing the new lenses, building and installing the fuse panel, replacing and rewiring the breakaway switch, and rewiring the trailer 7-way plug, I spent over two big days on that phase. The only single bigger job so far was replacing the air conditioner.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Trailer tail lights.

I have the same issue as Splitrock.

'78 Sovereign- towed with 85 3/4 chevy pickup, wired truck to match trailer.

upgraded to 86 Suburban, ditto, wired truck to match trailer.

Now got newer suburban and three other non AS trailers (boat, utility, stock).

I am going to rewire AS plug to match the other trailers.

Our AS has sat for three years, batteries dead, etc. We were always going to use it but stuff kept happening.

Now that I am on the social security and my teacher pension I am going to use the dang thing even if I have to go by myself.

My wife is RN and it is hard for her to take vacation because of finding someone to cover her shifts.

We're gonna make it work this summer though!

Now, I am off to purchase new batteries.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer cord