Old 02-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
It may be just the angle of the dangle but from the photo you posted the trailer seems to be a bit nose down.

The first thing to do is load-up and weigh. Do not be surprised if your loaded TW is near, at or above 1000lb.😱

Unhitch, get the AS level measure the tongue height to the top of the coupler, compare it to the receiver ball height. If necessary adjust...low an inch or so is ok, the weight distribution bars will bring it up to level.
If after you get the WD set properly and you still have a sway concern you could consider shortening the shank to bring the trailer closer to the tow vehicle.
A long shank does not restrict weight distribution, in fact it makes it easier...think long handles on a wheel barrow.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_220d.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	334394  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacskonville Beach , Florida
I thought I'd update everyone on our decision. After much debate we went ahead and purchased a Silverado 2500HD diesel. It just wasn't fun towing with the Tahoe and camping trips are suppose to be fun. Now we can go anywhere we want while feeling alot safer. Between the longer wheel base and the diesel we should be all set for a long time. Tomorrow we try out the trailer with the new truck. Thanks for your help and tips. Now we just have to get the kayaks set up so we can take those as well.

Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace-n-Pup View Post
IAfter much debate we went ahead and purchased a Silverado 2500HD diesel.
That should fix all your problems! Nice truck.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace-n-Pup View Post
I thought I'd update everyone on our decision. After much debate we went ahead and purchased a Silverado 2500HD diesel. It just wasn't fun towing with the Tahoe and camping trips are suppose to be fun. Now we can go anywhere we want while feeling alot safer. Between the longer wheel base and the diesel we should be all set for a long time. Tomorrow we try out the trailer with the new truck. Thanks for your help and tips. Now we just have to get the kayaks set up so we can take those as well.
Congratulations on your new purchase. I do hope this works out great for you.

Word of caution and it may not be what you want to hear. But it may not be the panacea that you're hoping for. If you search, there are plenty of HD trucks trying to manage sway on these boards. Even a little utility trailer, when setup wrong, WILL sway a 3/4 ton truck.

You're cousin was on point. The issue you're dealing with in your Tahoe is primary due to the drop shank with too much horizontal length as pointed out in red:

Name:	ASdropshank.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	337087

As most are aware, long wheelbase is generally a quality that defines a good tow vehicle. That's a simplification. It's really about the wheelbase to rear overhang ratio (as defined by rear axle centerline to ball distance). When the rear overhang ratio is long, it has the same apparent effect of a shorter wheelbase. With the geometries at play, for every 1" of of rear overhang length, it functionally feels like loosing 2" wheelbase. The drop hitch in your setup looks like its something like 10" longer than necessary. That's like decreasing your wheelbase by 20"!!!

Wolfwhistle, in all his attempts to interpret opinion is actually a good example. One should ask why a pivot point projection hitch solves his issue. Well....think about it again, it's virtually projecting the pivot point (ball) such that it minimizes the rear overhand ration One can directly address it by shortening the drop shank extension to keep the ball as tight to the rear bumper as possible, or virtually address it. It's that important of a factor.

Back to your new HD truck. It's going to be the same battle. Newer HD trucks have really tall tailgates. It's going to interfere with the airstream tongue jack. Making you want to use a longer drop hitch to push the ball back to create clearance. I would encourage you to pay very close attention to this trade-off less you return back to where you are with your current vehicle.
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i
Rear Bumper Hitch
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Congratulations on your new purchase. I do hope this works out great for you.

Word of caution and it may not be what you want to hear. But it may not be the panacea that you're hoping for. If you search, there are plenty of HD trucks trying to manage sway on these boards. Even a little utility trailer, when setup wrong, WILL sway a 3/4 ton truck.

You're cousin was on point. The issue you're dealing with in your Tahoe is primary due to the drop shank with too much horizontal length as pointed out in red:

Attachment 337087

As most are aware, long wheelbase is generally a quality that defines a good tow vehicle. That's a simplification. It's really about the wheelbase to rear overhang ratio (as defined by rear axle centerline to ball distance). When the rear overhang ratio is long, it has the same apparent effect of a shorter wheelbase. With the geometries at play, for every 1" of of rear overhang length, it functionally feels like loosing 2" wheelbase. The drop hitch in your setup looks like its something like 10" longer than necessary. That's like decreasing your wheelbase by 20"!!!

Wolfwhistle, in all his attempts to interpret opinion is actually a good example. One should ask why a pivot point projection hitch solves his issue. Well....think about it again, it's virtually projecting the pivot point (ball) such that it minimizes the rear overhand ration One can directly address it by shortening the drop shank extension to keep the ball as tight to the rear bumper as possible, or virtually address it. It's that important of a factor.

Back to your new HD truck. It's going to be the same battle. Newer HD trucks have really tall tailgates. It's going to interfere with the airstream tongue jack. Making you want to use a longer drop hitch to push the ball back to create clearance. I would encourage you to pay very close attention to this trade-off less you return back to where you are with your current vehicle.

OMG... I'm going to sway myself right into the ditch...I'm so far away. 😂

NOT...too many other important variables.🤔
As in the Tahoe's shorter wheelbase.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e0e.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	337089  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You asked in your first post about whether the feelings of sway are a result of inexperience. Maybe. Towing several tons of metal behind you is a new experience and does take getting used to. If you look for sway all the time in the mirrors, you will probably see it whether it is there or not. I sometimes think the trailer is swaying, but when my wife is driving behind me, she says it is going absolutely straight. Feelings can mess you up.

I don't know the differences between the Tahoe and Silverado as tow vehicles, but experience and comfort with towing take some time. Some people take longer to get used to it and some never do. Drive fairly slowly and settle in for a while. Don't obsess. Have one of you follow and see what us really going on. You may see very little or no sway.

Make sure the hitch is adjusted well. Go to a suspension shop—this is their speciality and have them set up the hitch. Dealers of trucks and trailers don't want to take the time to do it right. And learn how too adjust it so you know what is going on.

Learning how to tow and how to use an RV requires a steep learning curve. Most everyone gets it eventually. Be patient.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
OMG... I'm going to sway myself right into the ditch...I'm so far away. ��

NOT...too many other important variables.��
As in the Tahoe's shorter wheelbase.

Bob
����
So you wouldn't be compensating for that egregious extension with that Hensley hitch? Even on a vehicle that looks to have plenty of wheelbase?

Not dismission your point. The Tahoe wheelbase is actually not that short at 116".

My personal tow vehicle has a shorter wheelbase still at 112.3". Yet I don't need to rely on a PPP hitch to tow a larger 27FB. No sway to speak of, and no stability issues against wind and passing rigs/busses. Even under non-ideal parameters, if one pays attention to adjust what's possible to control, can have a well sorted rig. Devils in the details. Don't over-rely or have false confidence in any one particular variable.

Name:	lxhitch.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	337145

I shortened my drop shank for 2.5". Is that worth the effort? Is it worth to have handling equal to a rig that has 5" longer wheelbase? Heck yes.

It also pays dividends in reducing the WD tension necessary. Want to know why HD rigs need to run ridiculous 100% FALR and 1500lb bars, on top of a ride that already beats up their Airstreams? It's because of the long rear overhang past the rear axle, and needing extended drop shank lengths to clear the tailgate. Both of which give the trailer additional leverage to reducing front axle load, porpoising, dynamic handling, sway, etc.

Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i
Rear Bumper Hitch
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote