Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Successful first trip

Just got back from our first trip and list it as a success. Being an exmotorhomer wasn't sure what to expect with towing but was pleasantly surprised. Roundtrip mileage was about 1700. Spent time at our favorite spot on SC coast, Edisto Beach SP and Ft Clinch SP near Jacksonville, Fla. The F250 with PSD did great averaging 13-14 miles towing. Was able to maintain speed up grades that I couldn't with the mh, which was also a diesel. Going down steep grades felt different, I could feel the 31' Classic behind us. The tow/haul option on the motor helped on the down grades somewhat, but not as much as the exhaust brakes on the old mh. Never felt out of control or anything, just knew the trailer was there, pushing. The Hensley Hitch did what it advertised, no swaying at all. Now this is the first time towing so don't have a basis for comparison of other hitch systems but without a doubt, the Hensley worked as promised. Never felt any swaying as trucks passed. Two of our towing days had variable winds of 25 and 30mph and never felt a thing. I know driving the mh in that would have required constant corrections. The low profile along with the HA was a pleasure to drive. Backing up into our sites went smoothly, actually looked like I knew what I was doing, no longer have any anxiety there. Never had any problem hooking up the HA, went much smoother then expected. Unhooking and hooking up really took no longer that in the mh. Didn't find much wrong with the new trailer, some comestic fixes and the antennae booster was not working. Was easier to keep clean and free of sand than the mh thanks to less carpet. Bed was extemely comfortable and the shower head is great. Heat pump kept us plenty warm and was nice not using propane to heat water. Anyhow, we are now Airstreamers who are very glad to be rid of a mh that required repairs frequently. We felt very comfortable in the trailer and the peace of mind of not worrying about what repair facility we would be in next greatley outweights any loss of storage space.
Everything went great, the weather was a little cool for the beach but we had plenty of sun. Can't wait to go out again.
Gregg & Cyndi Halpin
Very satisfied Airstreamers
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi satisfied airstreamers

hey it's great to read the first trip was successful....

you are gonna enjoy them toys.....

it's interesting that with the tow/haul mode one can feel the trailer pushing a little...which makes sense with engine/tranny braking, not brake-brakeing.

i hope you didn't feel any push when using the brakes....that's the one time when the hensley can bite you...so the trailer brakes need to be adjusted to grab and brake a little moreso than the truck...pulling backward if anything, but no pushing...

i've got discs on the classic...so the comparison isn't exact....but my controler is set at 7.5....as i recall....for nearly a year....

did you spend plenty of time draggin' the tires to get the controller setup...what is your controller setting?

and where are the trip pix.....show me south carolina!!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Ah yes, we all remember our first time. I also went from a MH to the AS. I like the difference. Congrats on your safe and enjoyable first run, and many more.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Congrats from another ex MH'er. We don't miss the MH for some of the same reasons and we love our Airstream experience. We just happened to own our Duramax when we purchased our Airstream and found the Allison tranny to be a great braking aid when coasting downhill. We tap the brake pedal and the tranny does the rest by downshifting. Keep the shiney side up and maybe we'll see you on the road out East this year. Flash your lights when you see Aluminum.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Glad you had a good trip and a good experience with towing. I want a PSD so bad I can taste it...

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Good story , glad your back safe and happy.