Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Exclamation RT 95 Fort McHenry tunnel & propane

I have beed reading that you can't drive thru the MD tunnel with propane.

But you can

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.
Visit the Division of State Documents' website at CODE OF MARYLAND REGULATIONS to view the actual COMAR regulations: Title 11, Subtitle 7, Chapter 1 (11.07.01).

Therfore, upto 10 40 gallon tanks are permitted, correct?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
I have beed reading that you can't drive thru the MD tunnel with propane.

But you can

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.
Visit the Division of State Documents' website at CODE OF MARYLAND REGULATIONS to view the actual COMAR regulations: Title 11, Subtitle 7, Chapter 1 (11.07.01).

Therfore, upto 10 40 gallon tanks are permitted, correct?
No, it's 10 POUNDS per container, not 10 GALLONS. A gallon of propane weighs a bit over 7 pounds. You can transport up to 10 of those cute little Coleman propane fual cannisters for your gas hibachi.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Opps, that's like 2 1/2 gallons ( 4.24 lbs per gallon) or maybe a 10 gallon tank.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
Oops, that's like 2 1/2 gallons ( 4.24 lbs per gallon) or maybe a 10 gallon tank.
Sorry to rain on your parade...
Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
MD tunnel regulations

Don't take chances on someone with more badge than brains turning you around and making you look like the cause of the traffic jam from hell.....take the 695 bypass (the west side is toll-free).
JakBluMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Does this apply to the bay tunnel bridge going to Va as well?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
MD tunnel regulations

Since the bay bridge/tunnel starts/ends in MD, and with the general paranoia that exists everywhere, I'd call MD State Police @ 410-486-3101 or MD Environmental Dept. @ 410-333-2950. Be prepared to deal with the bureaucratic miasma. I haven't been that way in several years, but I recall it being a rather bumpy roadway, and I was driving a semi that had air-ride suspensions on both tractor & trailer. Put everything on the floor first before it winds up there.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #8
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakBluMule
Since the bay bridge/tunnel starts/ends in MD, and with the general paranoia that exists everywhere, I'd call MD State Police @ 410-486-3101 or MD Environmental Dept. @ 410-333-2950. Be prepared to deal with the bureaucratic miasma. I haven't been that way in several years, but I recall it being a rather bumpy roadway, and I was driving a semi that had air-ride suspensions on both tractor & trailer. Put everything on the floor first before it winds up there.
When I called thr MD Bridge and Tunnel, I was told "NO"

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
VA tunnel regulations

If you're planning a trip to/from Norfolk area, check with the authorities there re: tunnels on I-64 & I-664.....otherwise you might be restricted to US 17 and the old James River Bridge. However, US 17 is one of those cool old "blue" highways that passes through some beautiful country. We try to avoid the interstates as much as possible when we travel (I spent many years on them in a hurry from point a to point b). We did 5500 miles in Sept & Oct and I'd say we were on interstates less than 100 miles the entire trip.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I called the VA bridge/tunnel in advance and was told to make sure my tanks were shut off. No one checked, or asked. Same with the Lewes-Cape May Ferry.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have traveled extensively in the Norfolk area using all of the tunnels as well as the Bay Bridge. They have an inspection station when you have to pull in to check your propane tanks. Some will take your word that the tanks are closed others will check. I carry two 40 lb bottles and that has never been a concern as long as they were shut off.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bay Bridge Tunnel

I live in Va Beach and have for 30 years. You can go to the eastern shore on route 13 with propane tanks, but they must be shut off. Ditto for the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel US 64 and the Monitor Merrimac Tunnel US 664.

What you won't remember is that in the 50's or 60's there was an explosion in the Baltimore tunnel when a tank truck blew up - dozens of fatalities - and hours and hours to clear the area. Their paranoia is based on that tragedy.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:29 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Placitas , New Mexico
MD tunnel regulations

I have to correct an earlier post: The Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel is entirely in Virginia.....it does not start or end in Maryland. My apologies for the error.