Old 07-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2009 19' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
Peddler, Interesting. Sort of contrary to the owner's manual. The hitches are based on basic concepts of physics and the interplay of a lot of different dynamics. Some parts should be lubed, some not. No mystery, the manual tells you which parts should be handled in which direction. Third trailer, third hitch, multiple tow vehicles, hundreds of thousand of miles. I am amazed you were able to pull that off.

robi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #16
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
I have never used a lubricant during 15 years of towing with an Equal-I-zer hitch. I also keep the sockets just loose enough to move turn them with the bar.
Well then, when we hear a horde of zombies groaning and clunking their way into our campground, we'll know it's you.

Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2009 19' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
Thanks to you and Redepas, it worked!

Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
We bought a new airstream in early spring. My equalize sockets got so tight over time I couldn't budge 'em. I too had to loosen the bolts to move them. A week or two ago I took the socket bolts out, removed the sockets, and cleaned everything real good. Then I put a little grease on the surfaces and used a rubber mallet to hammer the sockets back in place. I torqued the bolts to 45 lbs. The bars swing freely now. I ran about 35 miles to a local state park, then torqued the socket bolts to 50 lbs. The bars still swing freely.

I think road grime, paint, some shavings, all from new, all ground up, make for a real nice, thick, near solid, paste.....and that was what was causing my bars to be so tight. After cleaning, they're real nice and easy to move.

To clarify, I convinced that one is to grease the sockets, both inside a bit, and where they pivot. I put no grease or any other lube on the L-bracket at the rear. My equalizer hitch makes absolutely no noise after this latest hitch head cleaning......nice!
All that stuff you mentioned was in there, and also caked solid in the bolt threads. Had to use a wire brush and solvent to get it off. I cleaned all of the parts thoroughly and put a much more generous coating of grease on all parts of the sockets and pivot points. They now swing with a little effort at 50 lbs, one less chore with a wrench per departure and arrival. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
My 'sockets' were too loose, now at 45 pounds torque.

Robi... thank you for your post and questions. Your situation and comments afterwards caught my attention.

My Equalizer hitch was new with the purchase of a 25 foot International. The bars would swing in and out very easily. No effort at all. Never gave it another thought until reading YOUR thread. I could not imagine why yours would be so difficult to swing in and out.

I inserted my hitch into my receiver... upside down to get a look. Where the two 'sockets' swing it has left a light groove in the flat surface of the hitch. The two sockets swung in and out with no effort. They also had 'up and down' play.

I would call it a real 'sloppy fit'.

I adjusted my torque wrench to 45 pounds and... both were loose, and torgued both nuts to the recommended 45 pounds. Maybe originally at 30 pounds, yet the lock washer was totally flat. Torqued both bolts to 45 pounds and they have no up and down play, and can be swung in and out with the bars, inserted... with some effort. No comparison from the original adjustments from the Airstream Dealer.

We all learn something every day. This Thread was worth the read.

Thank you... ALL!
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2009 19' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
So glad it helped. Just an fyi, I talked to equalizer and they said the bars should move, but not easily so I think we are both finally in spec. Also, I found it tedious to go through the manual to determine which bolts required specific torque settings. If you go to their website under support you will find a chart that just has things that require torque and settings. I am gonna e mail them and suggest they make that an addendum to the manual, as well as address the break in period and need for cleaning and removing debris. They really do seem to go above and beyond with support if you contact them. Happy trails!