Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Safe or not, it's not legal to tow over the manufactures limits of said tow vehicle in the lower 48.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSHIP View Post
Safe or not, it's not legal to tow over the manufactures limits of said tow vehicle in the lower 48.
Not true for non-commercial recreational towing.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Overloading as to exceed the gross vehicle weight rating of the pickup truck chassis is illegal. (VC Sec. 24002)

I'll have more on this after I'm done with my research. Exp, law enforcement , ins company's , automobile manufactures.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
I'm so confused...
Mtnlvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
I have been confused with almost every thread that I have looked at on the forums. That is why I will rely on the experts for my answers. It took 20 min at a seminar and a 5 min conversation afterwards with Andy T at an RV show to be sold on his expertise and knowledge. Please just call them and be reassured.
Wasn't Wally B an innovator, experimenter and inventor ? He figured out a way to get it done and then went and did it !!
Didn't they call him crazy ??
Silver Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
For those of you who tow will smaller vehicles, where do you put your stuff?

Things like generators and fuel, chairs, grills, ice chests, and the like.

I have no interest in joining the safety and ability discussion, but I am curious how you manage the items above. With fuel costs virtually out of control, towing with a smaller vehicle may become more appealing.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
Most smaller Suv's come with roof rails. We use a Thule system with a large storage box and a bike carrier. Can also add a kayak carrier when we need it. The box holds a large volume of material, anything bulky and light or not needed on a daily basis. The SUV has lots of cargo space for heavier or bigger items.
Just don't call me crazy for putting things on my roof !!!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
We like to keep it simple and travel light.

When on the road the two mountain bikes go inside the 23'. That way they are safer from theft and stay dry.

We are not interested in gas generators. They are not popular in the campgrounds we stay at.

We don't transport wood. We buy it at the park that we are staying at.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
We like to keep it simple and travel light.

When on the road the two mountain bikes go inside the 23'. That way they are safer from theft and stay dry.

We are not interested in gas generators. They are not popular in the campgrounds we stay at.

We don't transport wood. We buy it at the park that we are staying at.
I camp at a lot of campgrounds that have at least 2-point hookups so no generator necessary. But I also do plenty of boondocking in areas that still requie A/C, so I still need a place to put my genny.

I don't have a small tow vehicle, but I also don't want the genny and gas cans in the tow vehicle when I'm driving, so all of that goes in the Airstream and sits neatly in tubs that are deep enough to contain any potential leaks and fit snugly enough to hold them tight.

Anything that fits through the Airstream door, gets stored in the Airstream. Bikes, generators, awning poles, flags-- all of the essentials. It's packed in there pretty tight, but it's neat and unloads quickly. If I have to make a "pit stop" on the side of the road to use the Airstream's facilities, it's a bit of a climb, but that's fairly rare, so not a real bother.

Anyway, I really like how open-minded the Canadians tend to be about these things. I see too much Ugly American in the responses, it doesn't wear well.

Can-Am knows their stuff, it's just that simple.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
This is my first airstream but I have towed a few things up to and including a 7.5 ton tractor with a 25K all terrain forklift on a lowboy trailer.

I did a lot of research before I bought my tow vehicle and trailer, The dealer said I could tow a 25 ft no problem but we opted for a 19 to start and may trade up to a 23 if we feel the need for more room. Personally I would not tow a trailer that is more than 3/4 of my trucks rated tow capacity.

Yes I believe dealers first and foremost want to make a sale, you drive it off the lot - it's your problem. Some of the videos on the CAN AM web site are ridiculous - really a mini towing a airstream? Just because it can be done, should it...

I know that thru the mountain passes where I live I won't be the one pissing off the drivers behind because I'm going so slow.
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post

I know that thru the mountain passes where I live I won't be the one pissing off the drivers behind because I'm going so slow.
When towing with our mid size V6 car we keep up with the traffic on grades.

Once in a while we have to get out, accelerate, and pass slower moving vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge Air truck.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	181443  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
St. Catharines , Ontario
Give it up !!! That part of the thread died long ago.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Not true for non-commercial recreational towing.

doug k

Just an FYI, if you do an internet search on towing laws by state, several western states and B.C. list GVW as "Manufacturers stated value" or similiar statements. I have done this since I tow mostly in western CA and US. None of the ones I have found state anything about commerical only. One source is towingworld.com. At least make your own decisions.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Cloud View Post
You must have shopped at Can-AM !!!!!!!
Me too!

Here's my rig....

and here's my story...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...rse-91344.html

Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Tipton , Michigan
I flipped a 97 Explorer (V8) with a 24' SOB that was set up right with a WD hitch. Once the tail starts to wag it is hard to stop. The dealership convinced me I was more than safe. When you are on your roof and your kids are crying you will go back to pulling trailers with full size vehicles, well at least I did. I'm not saying that it can't be done or that this particular SOB pulled like an AS but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Please be careful.

Tony

PS everyone was fine and we all still camp. But, it was a very scary day.
T4HALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4HALO View Post
I flipped a 97 Explorer (V8) with a 24' SOB that was set up right with a WD hitch.
Agree, those were not the greatest TV's. Can you tell us more about how it was set up. Any photo's?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Tipton , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Agree, those were not the greatest TV's. Can you tell us more about how it was set up. Any photo's?
I refuse to admit which type of hitch was being used because of all the hitch wars on this forum but it was a quality brand.. Those photos were tossed out, lets just say the wife still suffers a little PTSD from this event.

After 23 years as a Green Beret in the Army, teaching High altitude jumping, and being shot at in 7 different countries, that was the most scared I have ever been in my life. I have only pulled with much heavier pick ups since then.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4HALO View Post
I refuse to admit which type of hitch was being used because of all the hitch wars on this forum but it was a quality brand.. Those photos were tossed out, lets just say the wife still suffers a little PTSD from this event.

After 23 years as a Green Beret in the Army, teaching High altitude jumping, and being shot at in 7 different countries, that was the most scared I have ever been in my life. I have only pulled with much heavier pick ups since then.
"Much heavier pickups" is not a path to safer handling when towing. A stable tow vehicle with adequate power, independent suspension, low center of gravity, excellent braking, and properly hitched, weight distributed and loaded is a better direction.

Is the op's Santa fe adequate to safely tow his 16' Bambi? If properly set up, it may work very well. But like any tow vehicle, proper set up, not size, is the key.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Tipton , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
"Much heavier pickups" is not a path to safer handling when towing. A stable tow vehicle with adequate power, independent suspension, low center of gravity, excellent braking, and properly hitched, weight distributed and loaded is a better direction.

Is the op's Santa fe adequate to safely tow his 16' Bambi? If properly set up, it may work very well. But like any tow vehicle, proper set up, not size, is the key.

doug k
All very true. But, after my bad day I will use a wider heavier vehicle that is set up properly. I have been towing all types of travel trailers for over 20 years and have never been upside down in a Pick up (knock on wood). The one time I towed with a smaller wheel base SUV I ended up on the roof. Everyone here has their own opinions on what tows the best. I know what works for me.

I wish everyone here the best of luck, and do not want to scare people. I should have not said anything about the accident.

Sorry, T4
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
T4halo,
Don't be sorry for telling us about your practical, real life experiences with your towing accident. It just shows there is always inherent risk even with a properly set up tow vehicle. I don't blame you for staying with a heavier vehicle.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote