Old 08-27-2015, 05:56 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
X2

Most common newcomer trait.....over worry. You have a perfectly good TV, (TV in caps=tow vehicle), get a quality WD hitch, set it up correctly, pay attention to tire, hitch, axle ratings & weight distribution numbers & start Streaming.

Bob
Absolutely correct ,Bob. Good comment

Old 08-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hogfan, if you are 100 lbs over your Yukon load capacity, move 50 lbs from the front to the back of your Airstream. It's as simple as that. Knuff modified his Airstream to work with his excellent tow vehicle.

You need 10% of trailer weight a on the hitch for stability, and Airstream warns in your Owners Manual to never exceed 1,000 lbs. The maximum total weight for a 27 Airstream is 7300 lbs (as I recall), that means you need 730 lbs hitch weight if you load the trailer to the gills.

As many know, heavy duty trucks are not the only solution to your travel needs, and a questionable solution to daily driver needs.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Full size diesel is hands down best towing vehicle, they are designed for that....New diesels need to be run frequently, relatively hard, carefully fueled, and cost significantly more to purchase, a little more expensive to maintain, and are not designed to be daily driver/grocery getters despite what a salesman says or how many you see in a Texas WakMart parking lot. I have one, love it, use only for towing, but it is not an ideal "only car" or "ultimate compromise". Lots of less expensive, more comfortable riding, more "parkable", vehicles to pick from for week ending and flatland towing.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
If it makes you feel any better, even my husband and I can hardly agree on the topic of TV And yes...I am the wife! I am the car junkie in the household, always have been.

We actually pull with a 2005 Tahoe currently, which is OK. I think it is JUST ok. My husband thinks it is MORE than ok. I actually want the truck more than he does for towing and he wants to just get a new Yukon Denali for both a daily driver & TV, so the back and forth extends well beyond this board ha ha ha......
Hogfan, it seems you have a similar tow vehicle in your driveway. Why don't you wait and see how it performs when you go pick the trailer up? Load the trailer with full water and propane and do a test run on the way home. Better yet take it out loaded on a weekend trip the way you want and check the numbers on a CAT scale. The dealer will always be ready to take your money for a new Denali or whatever you decide. $80,000 (that's what they want in my area) is a lot of money to waste if the Denali doesn't fit your comfort level or needs. Spend the money on a good hitch up front, because you can always use it on any vehicle you may choose. The new Denali has better specs than your existing SUV, so if what you have works, the new SUV will only be better! Good luck and enjoy your new trailer!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Hi Tuco,

That's I guess part of our reasoning why a Denali MIGHT work - our current Tahoe does work fine, but partially we'd just like a newer vehicle. Since the Denali specs are indeed better than our current Tahoe, then one would assume that the towing experience would be marginally better at least. For flatland, non-cross country towing, that might be ok for a few years until we want to make an investment in a truck for more traveling.

Ironically, I reached out to a Ford dealer today about a 2014 Lariat F150 bc it was advertised as HD Payload. I had them send me a photo of the door sticker, which indicated that the payload is 1413 - that's worse than a new Denali, which is at least 1500-1600!

If I got a 1/2 ton truck, I'd at least want closer to 2000 payload otherwise I may as well stick with an SUV. I've read on the boards that the Silverado 6.2L will get you ~1900 payload, which would be nice.

For whatever reason, my husband just is not at all interested in a truck. He says, "then YOU drive it everyday". Of course I'd like a truck for towing & his daily driver and something else for my daily driver I'd certainly drive the truck, but no question parking in Dallas day to day would not be pretty. So, it might come down to the fact that he does not want to drive a truck everyday. You'd think he would, but he too has to deal with Dallas traffic and parking day to day.

I'd love a truck for towing and a Tahoe/Yukon/or some other mid-sized SUV for non-towing, but that just might not be in the cards at this moment, or at least not all at once.

If we bought a Denali, we could always possibly come back for a truck or Suburban 2500 in a year or two and transition towing to that vehicle.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Wow! A lot has been said here, but I would like to throw another two-cents worth into the fray!
- First, my previous comment that you just don't hear people complain about their 3/4 ton diesel as a towing vehicle was meant as just that... as a "towing" vehicle. A 3/4 ton truck does have a rougher ride and is both harder to park and more difficult to maneuver through heavy traffic on narrow roads.
- "Gas gulping". My 2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Duramax diesel gets about 22mpg at 70-80 mph alone, and about 12 mpg at 65mpg while towing. That (from my perspective) is anything but "gas gulping." Notably, for some mysterious reason, diesel has now dropped below the price of regular at least locally. Yea!
- Here is a big one: Whatever one chooses as a tow vehicle, I strongly recommend that anti-sway electronic control be listed as a necessity! The difference is like night and day. I consciously set up a sway situation while going downhill at 70mph. Before I could get a noticeable sway feedback started, the anti-sway system activated and overcame my attempts to set up a sway condition! Wow! A few minutes later while returning home, a car cut in front of me and hit its brakes. Before I could react, the truck disengaged the cruise control, activated the anti-sway system, and flashed a red bar of LEDs on the dash that reflected in the middle of my windshield! I applied the brakes aggressively and the entire rig slowed in a very in-control manner. I think I am in love!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Hi back Hogfan,

If money isn't the issue then go for it! Peace in the household is worth more sometimes than fighting over trivial matters. If you buy slightly used though, you might afford a Denali (or a 3/4 ton diesel) and a daily driver for your husbands commute. $80,000 goes a long ways in the used car arena...

Dave
Old 08-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Tuco,

That is EXACTLY what I've been trying to mull over! Also, if not towing with a Denali, then a regular Yukon or Tahoe would be great also and could afford two vehicles for nearly the price of one if you select carefully. But of course, the idea of buying two is just overwhelming for my husband, so those brakes are on big time right now, but we'll see. I am working on facts and numbers to let him chew on for a while
Old 08-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Hi back Hogfan,

If money isn't the issue then go for it! Peace in the household is worth more sometimes than fighting over trivial matters. If you buy slightly used though, you might afford a Denali (or a 3/4 ton diesel) and a daily driver for your husbands commute. $80,000 goes a long ways in the used car arena...

Dave
Excellent point, Tuco, 80 large, carefully applied to used vehicles, can achieve a nice used 3/4 ton truck and a nicer daily driver.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have a diesel truck and it is a great towing vehicle. But there are other reasons to buy a truck. One that played a major consideration in my decision to buy a truck was that I did not want to carry fuel in the back of the SUV. I just did not want to smell the gasoline odor on trips.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
I'm slowly uncovering that I think my husband really just does not want a truck to double as his daily driver right now. So, he feels like the Denali will be an ok tow vehicle for the one weekend/month we take the AS out right now and that if and when we start venturing out more/further we would evaluate a truck primarily only as a TV.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #68
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
I'm slowly uncovering that I think my husband really just does not want a truck to double as his daily driver right now. So, he feels like the Denali will be an ok tow vehicle for the one weekend/month we take the AS out right now and that if and when we start venturing out more/further we would evaluate a truck primarily only as a TV.
And therein lies the crux of the biscuit.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Yep. It may come down to that if I cannot convince him otherwise. At least for now. Nothing is forever! In a year, perhaps he'll view things differently and we could pursue a truck. Although at the rate we're learning and circling around decisions these days, this could all change by tomorrow. Literally!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #70

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Thread temporarily closed. Check back for updates.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Closed Thread