Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

Hi Tuco,

That's I guess part of our reasoning why a Denali MIGHT work - our current Tahoe does work fine, but partially we'd just like a newer vehicle. Since the Denali specs are indeed better than our current Tahoe, then one would assume that the towing experience would be marginally better at least. For flatland, non-cross country towing, that might be ok for a few years until we want to make an investment in a truck for more traveling.

Ironically, I reached out to a Ford dealer today about a 2014 Lariat F150 bc it was advertised as HD Payload. I had them send me a photo of the door sticker, which indicated that the payload is 1413 - that's worse than a new Denali, which is at least 1500-1600!

If I got a 1/2 ton truck, I'd at least want closer to 2000 payload otherwise I may as well stick with an SUV. I've read on the boards that the Silverado 6.2L will get you ~1900 payload, which would be nice.

For whatever reason, my husband just is not at all interested in a truck. He says, "then YOU drive it everyday". Of course I'd like a truck for towing & his daily driver and something else for my daily driver I'd certainly drive the truck, but no question parking in Dallas day to day would not be pretty. So, it might come down to the fact that he does not want to drive a truck everyday. You'd think he would, but he too has to deal with Dallas traffic and parking day to day.

I'd love a truck for towing and a Tahoe/Yukon/or some other mid-sized SUV for non-towing, but that just might not be in the cards at this moment, or at least not all at once.

If we bought a Denali, we could always possibly come back for a truck or Suburban 2500 in a year or two and transition towing to that vehicle.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
Wow! A lot has been said here, but I would like to throw another two-cents worth into the fray!
- First, my previous comment that you just don't hear people complain about their 3/4 ton diesel as a towing vehicle was meant as just that... as a "towing" vehicle. A 3/4 ton truck does have a rougher ride and is both harder to park and more difficult to maneuver through heavy traffic on narrow roads.
- "Gas gulping". My 2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Duramax diesel gets about 22mpg at 70-80 mph alone, and about 12 mpg at 65mpg while towing. That (from my perspective) is anything but "gas gulping." Notably, for some mysterious reason, diesel has now dropped below the price of regular at least locally. Yea!
- Here is a big one: Whatever one chooses as a tow vehicle, I strongly recommend that anti-sway electronic control be listed as a necessity! The difference is like night and day. I consciously set up a sway situation while going downhill at 70mph. Before I could get a noticeable sway feedback started, the anti-sway system activated and overcame my attempts to set up a sway condition! Wow! A few minutes later while returning home, a car cut in front of me and hit its brakes. Before I could react, the truck disengaged the cruise control, activated the anti-sway system, and flashed a red bar of LEDs on the dash that reflected in the middle of my windshield! I applied the brakes aggressively and the entire rig slowed in a very in-control manner. I think I am in love!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Hi back Hogfan,

If money isn't the issue then go for it! Peace in the household is worth more sometimes than fighting over trivial matters. If you buy slightly used though, you might afford a Denali (or a 3/4 ton diesel) and a daily driver for your husbands commute. $80,000 goes a long ways in the used car arena...

Dave
Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Tuco,

That is EXACTLY what I've been trying to mull over! Also, if not towing with a Denali, then a regular Yukon or Tahoe would be great also and could afford two vehicles for nearly the price of one if you select carefully. But of course, the idea of buying two is just overwhelming for my husband, so those brakes are on big time right now, but we'll see. I am working on facts and numbers to let him chew on for a while
Old 08-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Hi back Hogfan,

If money isn't the issue then go for it! Peace in the household is worth more sometimes than fighting over trivial matters. If you buy slightly used though, you might afford a Denali (or a 3/4 ton diesel) and a daily driver for your husbands commute. $80,000 goes a long ways in the used car arena...

Dave
Excellent point, Tuco, 80 large, carefully applied to used vehicles, can achieve a nice used 3/4 ton truck and a nicer daily driver.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have a diesel truck and it is a great towing vehicle. But there are other reasons to buy a truck. One that played a major consideration in my decision to buy a truck was that I did not want to carry fuel in the back of the SUV. I just did not want to smell the gasoline odor on trips.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

I'm slowly uncovering that I think my husband really just does not want a truck to double as his daily driver right now. So, he feels like the Denali will be an ok tow vehicle for the one weekend/month we take the AS out right now and that if and when we start venturing out more/further we would evaluate a truck primarily only as a TV.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #68
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan View Post
I'm slowly uncovering that I think my husband really just does not want a truck to double as his daily driver right now. So, he feels like the Denali will be an ok tow vehicle for the one weekend/month we take the AS out right now and that if and when we start venturing out more/further we would evaluate a truck primarily only as a TV.
And therein lies the crux of the biscuit.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

Yep. It may come down to that if I cannot convince him otherwise. At least for now. Nothing is forever! In a year, perhaps he'll view things differently and we could pursue a truck. Although at the rate we're learning and circling around decisions these days, this could all change by tomorrow. Literally!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #70

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Thread temporarily closed. Check back for updates.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread