Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Troy , Michigan
Hi, I'm tagging on to your question (mostly because I'm a newbie also and don't know if I'm supposed to ask this question in a separate thread) but we are also getting a new 30 ft international serenity to be picked up in March. i'm looking for a resource along the lines of a "towing for dummies" if it exists? Was hoping others who are responding to this thread would be able to help me out. We have a ford 2017 f150 ecoboost that should be able to tow this airstream but I could use some resources to read on what exactly I need and how I will bring this baby of ours home 4 hours from the dealer! sorry to the admin people if I posted this question erroneously....just appreciated your question and following this thread....
sangeetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleyfan View Post
At the risk of raising the ire of everyone on this thread, never mind the hitch discussion, you do not need a 150/1500 to tow an Airstream, even a 30-foot. We tow our 30-foot International with an SRX. At first we were skeptical when our dealer said that our vehicle could tow it, and we still get lots of comments and questions on the road, but we have driven thousands of miles and crossed mountain ranges. A carefully chosen smaller vehicle is hands-down a better tow vehicle than a pickup truck for Airstreams. We get 14mpg when towing, and 25 when not. With a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bars, we can drive on interstates while being passed by tractor trailers with strong crosswinds with no problems.

I don't believe anyone really cares about your choice of equipment. What ever works for you, enjoy.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Yup. If you don’t look carefully at the whole system, you can miss a lot.

If I tried to tow a 27 on the ball with my Tacoma, I’d probably end upon a ball of a worse sort.
Yeah but I bet you could do some cool wheelies!
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:45 AM   #44

Currently Looking...
San Juan , Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
agree 100% with the choice of Equalizer. 2017 30 ft AS international No sway, not even in crosswinds.Pulled by 2016 ford f250 diesel. Great combo.
To all you folks that have been using the Equalizer, have you had any instances of popped rivets or any other indications that the Equalizer is “too stiff” or that it’s transfering a rough ride from your TV to your AS (per the often cited Inland RV Article)?

I drive an F250 and will be pulling a 74 sovereign (31 ft) and was about to pull the trigger on the Equalizer until I read about all the rigidity issues of the Equalizer .

Side note: this is my first post so just want to be sure to thank everyone for your contribution to this site. It’s a phenomenal resource.
sipesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #45
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The best performance among the obsolete design hitches is still the original Reese Dual Cam.

If you learned the most experienced dealer has set up 10,000 towing combinations but won’t stock Equalizer, what else is there to know?

Besides that a Jim Hensley design hitch is far beyond what the others can do.

Using a pickup truck, it’s the insurance needed to prevent the TV from being the source of a loss of control accident.

Cheap at twice the price.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The best performance among the obsolete design hitches is still the original Reese Dual Cam.

If you learned the most experienced dealer has set up 10,000 towing combinations but won’t stock Equalizer, what else is there to know?

Besides that a Jim Hensley design hitch is far beyond what the others can do.

Using a pickup truck, it’s the insurance needed to prevent the TV from being the source of a loss of control accident.

Cheap at twice the price.
Amen to that. When it comes to safety towing a reasonable heavy AS with a slightly light (IMHO) pickup truck, its very hard to beat the Hensley design hitches.

To some, it's massive overkill. For the distances, grades, and conditions I usually tow in, and having the whole family (+ four doggies) aboard, its just right...and doesn't depend on lightning-fast reflexes that I no longer can reliably exhibit...

Sometimes, as we age, it becomes necessary to invest in technology that makes life a) easier, and b) safer.

And, as a good friend and mentor once said, "You'll never see a Brinks Armored Car in a funeral procession." You don't get to take it (money) with you, so spend it where it will do you the most good. (My kids are quite capable of making their own money--I'll just avoid dumping my debts on them...)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #47
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Overkill on a Bambi. Maybe.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I had to consider the high winds up here in the SoCal desert, and across Texas. The first time I towed our AS without sufficient sway control it was just way too twitchy in the wind.

The Hensley Design hitches actually mechanically lock the AS into line with the TV. It's just a heck of a lot more stable that way...

Really small Airstream, maybe you could get away with some of the TV electronic anti-sway systems. My current Tacoma has it built in, but as others have pointed out, it's reactive, not preventative...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
To the original poster. You have covered most of the concerns by getting a capable TV. The 3/4 ton pickup with a reasonable hitch will be safer than most any SUV with any sort of hitch. Behind your truck, I doubt you could tell a difference between the best and worst equalizer hitch.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I had to consider the high winds up here in the SoCal desert, and across Texas. The first time I towed our AS without sufficient sway control it was just way too twitchy in the wind.

The Hensley Design hitches actually mechanically lock the AS into line with the TV. It's just a heck of a lot more stable that way...

Really small Airstream, maybe you could get away with some of the TV electronic anti-sway systems. My current Tacoma has it built in, but as others have pointed out, it's reactive, not preventative...
Here we go again.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
When discussing towing hitches; there is always going to be a wide range of opinions. I have used the ProPride...which is an improved Hensley. I found Propride a great tow hitch until I hit some back roads. The low ground clearance caused major challenges. I have just switched to a Reese Steadiflex hitch, giving a full 6.5" additional ground clearance. No sway on recent 1800 mile trip during major storms and high winds. Never an unsafe moment...and I am building confidence in the Reese. The Steadiflex is most similar to the Equalizer and Blue Ox in overall design. I have heard many many postive recommendations for both these WD anti-sway hitch. Just my opinion, but the Reese Steadiflex, Equalizer and Blue Ox all are simple and uncomplicated hitch for first time Airstream towing. Get a few years experience towing your 30' AS....and then consider upgrading to the ProPride3 or Hensley. I now only use my Propride for long interstate towing trips. But if I am going where roads are considered challenging and need ground clearance. ..I then switch to my Reese.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote