Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Salem , Virginia
Front cooler rack?

I used to have a front cooler & rod holder rack on my Tacoma in college.. This was for surf fishing the outer banks of North Carolina. Now that I have an AS I wish I could put our large yeti cooler on a front rack on my Tundra, free up some bed space and make the cooler more accessible. I have speculated that a cooler & gear might cut down on my trucks ability to stay cool, especially if we drive cross country in high altitude next year.

Wondering if anyone has experience with this??? Thanks. Jeff
JConsroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I installed a front 2-inch hitch receiver on my F250. With it I carry a platform with a large tool box holding about 200 pounds of tools and related stuff. The box covers maybe half of the grill area and presents no discernable difference in cooling. The extra weight on the front end is compensated for by the hitch weight of the trailer. Serendipitously, it negates the need to transfer more weight to the front via weight transfer bars.

I don't know how much of your grill would be blocked by your yeti cooler. It could cover a lot of it if the cooler is too high. If so, you could probably use a dropped receiver on the rack to expose more of the grill. I bet you could get it done without affecting the cooling.

If I were you, I'd go for it.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote