Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Paula, YOU GO GIRL!!!!!
We are among many who love the people and wisdom of this site, and are probably going to be AS owners soon. We currently have a 15K fiver, and my wife drives it like a champ! SHE is the one who backs the dually into the king pin while I monitor the height of the pin against the hitch. I trust her driving implicitly! We are literally CO-pilots. Thanks for your note. Zigi

Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Barb tows too and I'm glad for it because I don't have the stamina I used to. Gradually she has become more used to towing through congested areas and in and out of tight spots. I don't know whether there's a genetic reason for some of this, but men do better with spacial relations which may account for me hardly ever seeing a woman back a trailer or the tow vehicle to hitch up. I know I'm better at driving through narrow spaces.

Some day I'll get her to back the trailer more than 4'. I point out the heart attack potential— how would she get my corpse home if she had to back out of the emergency room parking lot? So far that logic hasn't worked. I have to admit that the first time she backs the trailer into a tight spot I will probably need lots of meds.

When I see some guy who looks like he's got about 5 minutes left and his wife who looks in much better condition, and then I see him get behind the wheel, that makes me nervous about being on the same road. I suppose I'll be there some day and it will be hard to give up the wheel entirely and pay extra for pull throughs all the time.

I think it's a good idea for co-drivers to discuss what to do when there's an emergency and quick response is needed. Every time I learn something about handling problems on the Forum, I tell Barb what I've learned. It's good to go over it when you're driving too.

Gene

Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #73
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Thumbs up Working together

Susan and I split driving while towing ~50/50.

She has better night vision, so she usually drives when its dark. She is apt to want a afternoon nap, and there is no way I can sleep in a moving vehicle, so I usually drive in the afternoon. I am better (may actually mean more O-C) at interpreting the GPS and correlating it with the map, so she usually drives if we are trying to find someplace. After lots of experimenting, she always drives when we are backing up. My story is: if I do the backing, she gives lousy instructions and keeps disappearing from my view.

We have our fairly well organized camping duties. Some we share, some we divide. An example: she does the cooking and clean up afterward. In exchange she never has to get anywhere near anything associated with sewer hoses and connections.

Keep in mind that this system has evolved over 17 years of towing travel trailers together.

Regards,

Ken
Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #74
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
The one thing I will say, if an airstream trailer is set up properly, hopefully these situations don't occur often.
If you have seen airstream trailers being towed on an obsticle course ( promoted by airstream ), they seem to handle the road better than most trailers.
However, things do happen!!!
I'm glad every one is okay!!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #75
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
Wow!!!! These pix and this discussion really intimidate and frighten me! We have a fiver and are thinking of switching to an AS. We tow our fiver with a 3500 dually Ram, and an air hitch; we have never had any instability issues-- only WEIGHT issues....the thing weighs 15K!

The AS mass is considerably less and therefore more vulnerable to being thrown "off line" by road conditions. What then are the conclusions regarding this terrible accident? Speed? Road? Hitch? Weight placement in the AS--towing balance? Tires? Thanks to all for your input.

Any A/S beats any 5'er for towing dynamics. Low center of gravity and independent suspension assure that. Just needs to be set up according to formula as is any conventional hitch trailer. Much of what you may read around here centers around that, sometimes heatedly. This site likes to go over details in depth.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Ya know I dont often weigh in on hitch issues. But I dont think it matters what hitch you have,the biggest factor in roll-over wrecks is THE IDIOT BEHIND THE WHEEL. YES even in our community we have IDIOTS. Like the one that passed me on I 75 Southbound yesterday. Because he had one of them there SUPER Hensely hitches, he could jump back and forth between lanes, Running way in access of the Speed limit,probably 70 ,75 mph.You should have seen the back end of that trailer swayin in the wind. Scared me and I ain't afraid of nuffin.
So dont blame the hitches. I hope that guy with the 34 fter and the White Ford got where they are goin safely.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #77
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Joe, was that you....?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Ya know I dont often weigh in on hitch issues. But I dont think it matters what hitch you have,the biggest factor in roll-over wrecks is THE IDIOT BEHIND THE WHEEL. YES even in our community we have IDIOTS. Like the one that passed me on I 75 Southbound yesterday. Because he had one of them there SUPER Hensely hitches, he could jump back and forth between lanes, Running way in access of the Speed limit,probably 70 ,75 mph.You should have seen the back end of that trailer swayin in the wind. Scared me and I ain't afraid of nuffin.
So dont blame the hitches. I hope that guy with the 34 fter and the White Ford got where they are goin safely.
And people like that can go out and buy 400hp diesels...
Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Joe, was that you....?
I'm sure mikethefixit was basing his strongly worded, rash comments on his own anecdotal data, without any inference to my traffic accident. His posts are always very informative and level-headed, and for me to construe his "IDIOT BEHIND THE WHEEL" comment as referring to me, would be presumptive and overly sensitive on my part- since if he were there on that lonely stretch of I-77, he would have observed the rig maintaining the right lane, at a steady 65mph.

Have a nice day.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #80
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sorry, Joe (finalcutjoe), I was not thinking of you when I posted that. There's another Joe on here, although his screen name isn't Joe, nor does it contain that word.

And, he has alluded to vigorous driving habits more than once...
Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
NOPE JOE
Wasn't you. I know that maybe was a little harsh. But I am trying to get across is, WHAT'S THE HURRY?? Start a little earlier and dont try an make up time on da road. The rig I was refering to was way over the speed limit and the fishtailing of that 34fter I know was not felt by the driver because of the Hensley. But the fishtailing was there. This guy in my opinon was way beyond the braking capability of his TV and I feel was driving above his capability and the traffic. HE endangered himself and his passenger and others on the highway because he was in a hurry to get where he was going. I remember the truck and the Wb numbers off the trailer But I will not post them here,he knows who his is.He probably never heard of AIR FORUMS anyway.
Sorry Joe I didnt know ya had a wreck. I most time dont read theads that are 5 or 6 pages old when I notice them.
I, being retired now after 45 yrs as an over the road truck driver know the limits when it comes to towing.I have seen so many Campers and MoHo's scattered in pieces over the highways ,as well as big rigs,I care not to even to try count how many,let alone ever see again.
Please slow down just a little,so I get to talk to each of you not read about you.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
NOPE JOE
Wasn't you. I know that maybe was a little harsh. But I am trying to get across is, WHAT'S THE HURRY?? Start a little earlier and dont try an make up time on da road. The rig I was refering to was way over the speed limit and the fishtailing of that 34fter I know was not felt by the driver because of the Hensley. But the fishtailing was there. This guy in my opinon was way beyond the braking capability of his TV and I feel was driving above his capability and the traffic. HE endangered himself and his passenger and others on the highway because he was in a hurry to get where he was going. I remember the truck and the Wb numbers off the trailer But I will not post them here,he knows who his is.He probably never heard of AIR FORUMS anyway.
Sorry Joe I didnt know ya had a wreck. I most time dont read theads that are 5 or 6 pages old when I notice them.
I, being retired now after 45 yrs as an over the road truck driver know the limits when it comes to towing.I have seen so many Campers and MoHo's scattered in pieces over the highways ,as well as big rigs,I care not to even to try count how many,let alone ever see again.
Please slow down just a little,so I get to talk to each of you not read about you.
Atta boy Mike! The vast majority of accidents are not the result of anything mechanical, but rather driver action/inaction. And most of those which are iniated by mechanical issues could have resulted no accident if the driver knwe what to do, ie. escape routes, proper speed and handling of the vehicle (no panic), when to be on the road, and when not to be, speed relative to conditions and equipment, etc.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #83
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Where is this going and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Atta boy Mike! The vast majority of accidents are not the result of anything mechanical, but rather driver action/inaction. And most of those which are iniated by mechanical issues could have resulted no accident if the driver knwe what to do, ie. escape routes, proper speed and handling of the vehicle (no panic), when to be on the road, and when not to be, speed relative to conditions and equipment, etc.
I am having a little trouble finding helpfulness or for that matter usefulness in the direction this thread is taking.

The OP came on asking for help with a towing issue and got some useful feedback.

Then another member posted his experiences with a serious accident.

Now as I read where this is going, it seems to me that we have people saying that whatever happened to those individuals and for that matter nearly anyone who has a towing accident, it was there own darned fault for not knowing what they were doing.

I see very little positive contribution from that.

If you want to help, offer some tips or procedures that you feel would help, rather than list things you think might have caused the problem with nothing but supposition and guesses about what might have really happened.

So I certainly don't second the attaboy.

Ken
Old 11-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Again, we aren't talking about that Joe. I am speaking from my experience investigating product liability cases and my extensive business highway travel, (albeit not in a big rig) over the last 27 years. I have seen sooooo many things with drivers, some running solo, some with all kinds of RVs, and perhaps worst of all, commercial vehicles towing construction materials/equipment.

I worry MUCH more about the other guy, than I do about any hitch, any brand or type of tire, or any apparently substandard frame on my rig.
That's one of the biggest reasons I drive slower, beside better control of my vehicle, I want them pulling away from me when they make a mistake.

Tags
fishtailing