Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Ever seen this?

I recently pulled my 2006 30' Classic 600 miles with my 2014 F-250 and a blue ox hitch. I had trouble removing the hitch pin from the receiver and found that the pin was bent enough that I has to use a hammer to remove. This is the pin that came with the truck.
I don't know if this was just a bad pin or do I need to be looking at something else? I showed this pin to the guys at a local trailer parts and they said they had never seen a receiver pin bend like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150615_114224.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	240726   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150615_114107.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	240727  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150615_114028.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	240728  
firstwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Pic of the stinger might help. Check the fit of the stinger into the receiver tube. Slides in with just s bit of wiggle or super sloppy?

Looks like the pin had torque applied to it bending the pin.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I'm looking at the pin that holds my Hensley stinger in my BMW x5 receiver; it makes yours look somewhat anemic, i.e. mine seems to be larger in diameter, but it just may be the photo. Additionally, I can see an adequately fitted pin shearing, but not bending; bending indicates the receiver/stinger/pin/hole are not sized correctly.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Excellent information. Thank you so much for your cumulative post(s). I’ve got a 2012 X5 BMW 3.5d w Sport Suspension (but not the sir adjustable). We’ve settled on locating a 23d and I was on the fence as to using it as a TV. Just the proximity to the max weight was making me a tad nervous. We’ve got the OEM hitch. Any mods to your X5 that would be helpful and any other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Im also going to follow your lead vis a vis Hensley Hitch. Would it have operated as well w/o HH?

Again thanks for your expertise and blazing a trail for our happy little X5.
RMNummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I agree that there is excessive slop in the connection between the receiver tube and hitch shank. Or perhaps the holes in the receiver tube are oblong allowing for more shank movement in the tube.

If the shank and pin connections are tight fitting, we shouldn't see bending but more shearing in a failure.

A 5/8" diameter pin should have a very high shear value but not as much force is required to bend it.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:10 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMNummi View Post
Excellent information. Thank you so much for your cumulative post(s). I’ve got a 2012 X5 BMW 3.5d w Sport Suspension (but not the sir adjustable). We’ve settled on locating a 23d and I was on the fence as to using it as a TV. Just the proximity to the max weight was making me a tad nervous. We’ve got the OEM hitch. Any mods to your X5 that would be helpful and any other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Im also going to follow your lead vis a vis Hensley Hitch. Would it have operated as well w/o HH?

Again thanks for your expertise and blazing a trail for our happy little X5.
Regarding your query of "Any mods to your X5": Other than the OEM "Sports Pkg." and OEM receiver, I increased the horse power, torque and engine & transmission response with BMW approved "Dinan" software and larger diameter throttle body. My 2001 X5 gas 4.4i engine went from ~281 hp & 315 #/ft. to ~300 hp & 350 #/ft with faster shifts & movified gear selectability. My assembly weighs ~14,000# and I've pulled the continental divide numerous times in 3rd gear (5 speed trans) and remember only having to use 2nd gear on a couple of occasions.

Regarding your query of "Would it have operated as well w/o HH?": No it would not have. The Hensley (or ProPride) uses geometry instead of friction to completely negate sway. Until the Hensley linkage "breaks over" in a turn (like pulling into a service station) the assembly is geometrically LOCKED such that angular input from the trailer can not change the tow vehicle trailer angle, it can only move the whole assembly as one solid vehicle, thus negating the resonate back and forth "sway" which increases in frequency until control is lost.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I've only ever seen bent pins on farm equipment

I'd ditch the pin that has the bent end for a stopper and go with a straight pin with locking head, similar to this one.....

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...SABEgKoafD_BwE

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Totally agree with not using a pin with a bent end like you have now. The bent end can cause the hole in the hitch to deform and stretch over time.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
It looks to me like the 2" stinger was put in a 2 1/2" receiver without the reducing tube. The pin also looks smaller than it should be, possibly wrong size shipped with the truck. The stinger has been moving foreward and back to cause this type of damage.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
I never use those kind of pins with the clip pin to hold it in. Just don't trust them. I use a Grade 8 bolt (gold colored) with locking nut. Bit of a PITA but I know it will never come loose.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:35 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
Regarding your query of "Any mods to your X5": Other than the OEM "Sports Pkg." and OEM receiver, I increased the horse power, torque and engine & transmission response with BMW approved "Dinan" software and larger diameter throttle body. My 2001 X5 gas 4.4i engine went from ~281 hp & 315 #/ft. to ~300 hp & 350 #/ft with faster shifts & movified gear selectability. My assembly weighs ~14,000# and I've pulled the continental divide numerous times in 3rd gear (5 speed trans) and remember only having to use 2nd gear on a couple of occasions.

Regarding your query of "Would it have operated as well w/o HH?": No it would not have. The Hensley (or ProPride) uses geometry instead of friction to completely negate sway. Until the Hensley linkage "breaks over" in a turn (like pulling into a service station) the assembly is geometrically LOCKED such that angular input from the trailer can not change the tow vehicle trailer angle, it can only move the whole assembly as one solid vehicle, thus negating the resonate back and forth "sway" which increases in frequency until control is lost.
Thanks! Inre the pin, i bought a locking pin from uhaul. Maybe not as elegant but beefy and designed for the 2” receiver. I’ll look into the Dinan chip. Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMNummi View Post
Thanks! Inre the pin, i bought a locking pin from uhaul. Maybe not as elegant but beefy and designed for the 2” receiver. I’ll look into the Dinan chip. Thanks for all the info.
When my 2001 X5 engine & transmission software was upgraded in 2001 it was done by a dealer here in Houston, Texas; there was no physical "chip" installed. The upgrade was done via cable from the dealers computer into the ODB II port of my 2001 X5. This connectivity may have changed with later models of the X5 so yours may accept a "chip".
Old 11-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There were threads and posts about Ford receivers in about that 2014 timeframe. The pin hole drilled was not vertically centered correctly. In a proper fashion, the pin should be in a "float" state. That is, when WD is applied, the stinger (or hitch head) shaft force is on the bottom of the forward end of the shaft, and the rear upper receiver mouth location of the shaft. If the hole in the receiver is not centered, the force of the WD is on the pin, causing the bend.
It is a vertical bend, not a lateral force bend.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...in-108534.html

Here is a 2013 thread.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
One of my first purchases was a new hitch pin, and I wanted a bullet proof one, made in the USA.
I discovered the Tundra's receiver is very beefy, so much so a 2" pin is too short. A 2 1/2" pin is too long, but since it's 5/8" I just added a couple hose washers to take up any slack.
I found this pin, very hard, US made. "Class 5 hitch pin"!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Since we're on the subject, how big a hole would you drill in a shank?
The easy answer is 5/8", but unless alignment is perfect, a pin won't go in. I thought I'd drill a 11/16" to allow the pin room. Yes/No?
What size are the existing holes?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:48 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Quote:
When my 2001 X5 engine & transmission software was upgraded in 2001 it was done by a dealer here in Houston, Texas; there was no physical "chip" installed. The upgrade was done via cable from the dealers computer into the ODB II port of my 2001 X5. This connectivity may have changed with later models of the X5 so yours may accept a "chip".

Thanks again! Could you walk me through what you asked for at the dealer? Im guessing “I wanna adjust my factory settings to off spec” would be greeted with disdain. Ive got a 2012 E70 w/ OEM hitch, “sport” suspension package, non-air ride. I do have the slap the shift to the left to engage “sport” mode.
TV #1 2017 Mercedes AMG GL63
TV #2 2017 Lexus LX570
TV #3 2020 Mercedes GLE580
TV #4 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Old 11-09-2020, 06:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
I never use those kind of pins with the clip pin to hold it in. Just don't trust them. I use a Grade 8 bolt (gold colored) with locking nut. Bit of a PITA but I know it will never come loose.
Agreed!!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:

Regarding the Hensley and Propride hitches, they are an exceptional product and significantly improve both dynamic(sway) and static(oversteer) stability particularly at low articulation angles less than 2-2.5 degrees. On the highway you won't approach this angle till you encounter corners with 50 mph posted advisory speeds and less. Above 2 degrees, the Hensley hitch can't completely protect you from oversteer and jackknife at higher speeds.

What does this mean for the X5? The X5 is an excellent tow vehicle for 23' and smaller trailers with or without a Hensley or Propride. At 25', without the Hensley oversteer can be an issue in emergency situations and higher speeds for inexperienced drivers. The problem becomes more of an issue with heavier and longer trailers. Experienced drivers with and even without a Hensley will keep the articulation angle low at higher speeds and never encounter this issue. They will correctly describe the X5 as a fantastic tow vehicle. For those of you contemplating a short performance SUV for trailers larger than 23' be aware of the risk you are inheriting.

On the pin, what everyone else said. They are made of spring steel and without the added force of momentum from movement, they are far stronger than required. Even bent they will not fail. It is important that they fit tight with no slop though. Slop anywhere in the towing system is very detrimental to stability in emergencies. It is not very difficult to remove the play and slop and well worth it.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote