Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2003, 10:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Does AS defy conventional thinking?

We're in the early stages of our search for a vintage Airstream and researching like crazy. I've seen on various forums a rule of thumb for tow vehicle wheelbase and trailer length -- 110 inch wheelbase equals 20 feet of trailer, and every additional four inches of wheelbase gives you another foot of trailer length.

That raises a couple of questions in my mind:

I know Airstream's stated lengths run from the tip of the tow hitch to the rear bumper. I'm not sure if that's typical in the TT business, though. With our Toyota Sequoia's 118.1 inch wheelbase, I figure that means 22 feet of trailer. Is that the reasonable limit with an Airstream, a max of 22 feet of total trailer and 19 feet of living space? I can't think of any reasonable rationalization to make that 22 feet of living space and 25 feet total length, but hey, I wouldn't mind being wrong.

And do Airstreams' superior aerodynamics and stability enter into the equation?

Thanks,
Mike
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I pull a 25' Tradewind with a Tahoe, 116" wheelbase. Didn't have any problems on the 900 mile trip home.

I realize that the wheel base is shorter than the rule of thumb. However, the trailer weight and the tongue weight fall into the manufacturer's recommendations. I also use a Reese dual cam hitch, which I would tell you with a straight face, is "da' bomb!"

I'd rather have the Tahoe with the dual cam than a longer tow vehicle with some dime-store hitch setup...
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 09:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Yukon and 31Footer

I tow a 31' with a 2 door 4x4 Yukon...no problems with sway and control from 18 wheelers passing me, or meeting them, or me passing them.
The Reese dual-cam anti sway is a wonderful set up when it is set up correctly. I am probably more stable towing the trailer than not towing the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-008f.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2694  
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:41 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Does AS defy conventional thinking?

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey

And do Airstreams' superior aerodynamics and stability enter into the equation?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi, Mike!

Physics laws are physics laws. That said, a rule of thumb is rough guide. The more learned members of this forum can do the math to illustrate the point but generally speaking, the bane of trailer towing is the tail wagging the dog. The shorter and lighter the tail, and the heavier and longer the dog is, the less likely the dog is going to be wagged by the tail.

I tow a 34' trailer with an Excursion. By the "rule of thumb", I ought to have a one-ton crew-cab long-bed as a minimum. I will tell you though, that with a proper hitch setup, my Excursion handles the weight and the length very nicely. It is the heaviest and longest station-wagon type vehicle available right now, and I didn't want a truck. It is about a thousand pounds heavier than the 3/4 ton Suburban; however I looked at a number of Suburbans as well and would have bought a Suburban had I not found this particular Excursion.

Make sure your tow vehicle is adequate for the weight of the trailer, both GVWR and CVWR, as long and heavy as you can get in it's class, with an adequate hitch properly set-up (I have a Reese dual-cam; folks who have Pull-rite and Hensley Arrows swear by them), and tires that will handle the additional weight, and you should do fine. Just don't push the envelope too far.

There are numerous threads on towing, hitches and the like on the forums and I encourage you to read through them all. You'll have quite an education when you're finished.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote