Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #41
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I think those of us with the ProPride would have nothing else. Yes, it is heavy, but being substantial seems to make sense since is the device that connects my TV to my Airstream. With regard to leaving my trailer for service, I can vouch that when I left my trailer for service at my dealers without the stinger, they were unable to move it until I came back with it. (I'd left it after hours and there is no way I'd drop my trailer anywhere "unsupervised" with my stinger attached....) An inconvenience, but not a deal breaker. The original poster of this thread is buying the SAME exact trailer I have (mine's a 2012). He couldn't do better than a PP -- my opinion, of course....but based on towing experience!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Done.

The final decision after too many months driving myself nuts reading everything I can on hitches is.... ProPride.

Would have preferred something lighter but I sure don't see too many people unhappy with their towing experiences with ProPride or Hensley hitches. I'm only about 45 minutes away from ProPride and feel that I have great support if needed. I haven't decided if I will install and get this set up on my trailer when it arrives or have the dealer do it. They said they have installed several ProPride hitches so I'm comfortable with having them do it. However, I'd like to have a lot of knowledge on all if it so it might be best to just install it myself.

Thanks for all the comments, help and suggests here and on all the other posts on hitches on Airforums.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #43
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Done.

The final decision after too many months driving myself nuts reading everything I can on hitches is.... ProPride.
Good decision. My PP has only been on the trailer for about 6 months now, but I have had 3 trips so far where it paid for itself in spades.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The factory literature shows a 950 pound tongue weight plus 200 pounds of hitch or a total of 1,150 pounds for the 28 International. My 25FB International showed 833 pounds tongue weight in the literature but showed 1,175 pounds (with the Hensley hitch mounted) on the Shurline scale when I arrived to tow it home.

I strongly suggest a trip across the scales, without the trailer, at a truck stop and discover the load on the Ford axles with you and partner plus your projected stuff and a full tank of gasoline. You can put just the stinger in the bed of the pickup. Your comment of 1,675 pounds useful load means the payload must carefully watched.

If the trailer does come in at 1,150 pounds or more tongue weight, your net payload for passengers and gear in the bed of the pickup would be less than 500 pounds.

The information from the first pass across the scales will serve as the basis for adjusting the trailer and hitch to get weight to the front axle from data on the second pass with the trailer. A third pass with water, supplies and all the stuff in the trailer will then allow the final adjustments for a trip.

At the local Love's truck stop in West Phoenix, the initial pass across the scales is $10. A re-weigh after an adjustment the same day costs $5.

Good luck on getting the rig all setup.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #45
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
I'm sure Sean will have provided you with exactly what you need for the best configuration of your trailer and your TV. The instructions that come with the hitch are extremely well done. (And the shipping boxes -- of which there are around 5)....amazing packing! I ended up having the dealer (ODM) install my PP for me at the same time I took delivery of my new trailer. They hadn't done many of these, but one of the installers called Sean with a question or two...and verified that you do (indeed) need a torsion wrench capable of 250 lbs. The dealer went and bought one specifically for my install. Unless you are WAY handy and in pretty substantial physical condition -- or have a strong back and a helper, I'd turn the install over to somebody else. You will want to visit a CAT scale to determine the proper amount of weight distribution. I've found that I can fine-tune pretty easily with the original setting as a baseline. You're going to love your new trailer and trust me -- you will not regret the outlay that your ProPride demanded. It's worth every penny, which you'll see the first time you have an 18 wheeler blow by at 75 MPH and your trailer does NOT move. Or you have a cross wind of 35 MPH and your steering wheel feels like I rock.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 03-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #46
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Unless you are WAY handy and in pretty substantial physical condition -- or have a strong back and a helper, I'd turn the install over to somebody else.
I'm 80 years old and I installed the hitch by myself with no problem. The instructions are excellent. The hitch worked like a charm the first time out when I towed to a rally in a gusty crosswind..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Yup, definitely will be doing trips across the scales to get this all dialed in correctly. I know I'm at the max on the payload and Sean recommended the 1400 bars to get enough transferred to the front axle. I'll be picking the hitch up at ProPride and will talk to Sean a bit more about the installation and decide whether I want to do it myself.

The one thing I didn't ask Sean about was whether I need to have the cable and chain extension kit with a current Airstream. Have others found that they need this kit?
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Yup, definitely will be doing trips across the scales to get this all dialed in correctly. I know I'm at the max on the payload and Sean recommended the 1400 bars to get enough transferred to the front axle. I'll be picking the hitch up at ProPride and will talk to Sean a bit more about the installation and decide whether I want to do it myself.

The one thing I didn't ask Sean about was whether I need to have the cable and chain extension kit with a current Airstream. Have others found that they need this kit?
I needed the extensions for chains and power cord.

Sean knows his business in recommendation of correct bars. I used 600# bars on Reese dual-cam. I use 1000# bars with Propride. I have a 6300# gross Safari 25. Propride uses bars for weight distribution only. Reese dual-cam depends on bar tension for sway control and weight distribution.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #49
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
I also have the 1400 lb bars. I didn't need an extension for the 7 pin connector, but the safety chain needed lengthening.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 03-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The stock Hensley required the safety chain and 7 conductor cord extensions when using the Dodge. The Mercedes used the wireless brake controller from Tekonsa which had it's own long cord.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #51
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Safety chain upgrades are worth reading. The thread in re cables versus chains is to the point. What grades and sizes, attachment points, etc.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Ormond Beach , Florida
Atwood Coupler and Andersen

FYI . . . If you are planning on buying an Andersen and have an Atwood(Marvel) 88010 coupler . . . DON'T. The Atwood 88000 series couplers are not compatible with the Andersen . . . only the Atwood 81911 and 81912 are. For more info about this, check the Andersen Hitch thread. If you have an Atwood (Marvel) 88010 coupler and use an Andersen, there could be a catastrophic failure. My AS was being held on the ball by only the tongue weight (see picture)
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
floridalarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I just bought a Pro Pride myself asking the question of which hitch to buy- like you. My previous hitch was inexpensive and worked OK until I got new tires on the tow vehicle then I had moderate sway. Basically, from what I read, you have several friction based anti sway hitches and then your Hensley and Pro Pride. The two were designed by the same guy. The Hensley is the original design. Over the years, he redesigned to add improvements and created the Pro Pride. The basic mechanism is similar in operation.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #54
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
...a bit of reinforcement for the PP. I just returned from a 6,300 mile 4 week trip. I had about four days of crosswinds in NW Texas and SW New Mexico, at times the guests were above 30 MPH. While I could feel it, at no time did I feel major insecurity (though I cut my speed back, which anyone would do). One evening I was having a conversation with a guy who'd been on the same road in his SOB with a conventional hitch. He said he was in major stages of panic...and pulled over for awhile. I think the stability of the pivot mechanism coupled with optimum weight distribution makes a huge difference when you are dealing with crosswinds.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 05-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #55
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
BAB, did you dial in the hitch at the scales? It's days with winds like those or the thought of narrow highways with oncoming 18-wheelers where those last little bits are telling. If I missed that info, forgive the question . . I tend to think there is always room for improvement. And I have sometimes found them. I travel at 58-mph so a slowdown is not done, but the "vagaries" (let us call it) of wind-handling are always of interest per rig feel.

There is just no substitute for a VPP hitch.

Heckuva trip by the way.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
After two other hitches got a Propride. Best money we have spent on the Airstream.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote