Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Discovery Bay , California
A Question About the Brakes

Hi All,

I'm not sure how to phrase my question, but I'll do my best!

I just bought a nice, new 20' Flying Cloud in February and we've been out running around in our camper. It seems that when the brakes are cold, we come to a smooth slow stop. However, once we've been down the road a bit I find the brakes tend to try and lock up when applied. They are very tight.

This seems to only happen when going slow, let's say through a town with a lot of stops. Do I need to adjust them after they are warm or am I doing something wrong?

Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks!
tomstephens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Sounds like you need to adjust your brake controller. Mine was doing that on a23 an I was able to adjust when the brakes Lead or lag the car, and how strong they are applied.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:27 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
What brake controller are you using? We had a Tekonsha Primus IQ and had same issues. Then switched to their P3 model problem went away.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:03 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded View Post
What brake controller are you using? We had a Tekonsha Primus IQ and had same issues. Then switched to their P3 model problem went away.
That is interesting. I have experienced the same braking issues that the OP has mentioned and I also have the Primus IQ. I just assumed that it was from heating up and needed adjusted. This is my first experience with any brake controller, so I had nothing to compare it to.
I will be curious to find out if the OP has a Primus IQ and maybe other Primus IQ owners can chime in.
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
That is interesting. I have experienced the same braking issues that the OP has mentioned and I also have the Primus IQ. I just assumed that it was from heating up and needed adjusted. This is my first experience with any brake controller, so I had nothing to compare it to.
I will be curious to find out if the OP has a Primus IQ and maybe other Primus IQ owners can chime in.
I had good success with the P3. Now I have integrated brake controller no longer need P3. I would be willing to sell it reasonably cheap. Wiring is plug and play for Nissan Titan, but other harnesses can be purchased to fit your vehicle. I also have the diy pigtail so you could splice in your current truck side harness. PM me if interested.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I use a Tekonsha P2. It has four settings for the "boost" of the trailer brakes. This controls how quickly and forcefully the trailer brakes are applied. On the highway I use B1 (the settings are B0-3 from least to most aggressive). If we are in a campground or around town, B1 causes the trailer brakes to grab and lurch us to a stop. For those situations, I use B0. Not sure if other controllers have something similar. You might want to check your manual.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Over boost would be my guess. The manual has the info on how to read and adjust. Light braking can offset heavy boost, but it takes a real light foot. Better to adjust the boost correctly for the conditions. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
My FC has self-adjusting brakes; so I just adjust the gain on the controller to almost, but not quite lock-up. Similar to 'anti-skid' systems.
Works for me.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote