Old 12-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric 26 Argo View Post
I used the Harbor Freight electric shears $49.99, not including discount. I also used a straight edge to assist in cutting the straight lines.

Glad you didn't hit the buck. They usually walk away leaving you with torn up truck.

Thanks, I'm aware of those shears. I hope you don't mind that I'm telling Phyllis you said I Must buy them.

I have a Harbor Freight that's only 5 minutes from me. To close really, hahaha. I'm having trouble picturing how you used a straight edge with the shears. Would you mind providing a bit more detail.

TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
I have a nine foot two piece guide that is made of aluminum. It was made for cutting sheets of plywood with a circular saw. I used it were possible as a guide and on longer cuts as a guide to draw lines. With a steady hand and taking your time you can get a decently straight cut.

Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
I have a nine foot two piece guide that is made of aluminum. It was made for cutting sheets of plywood with a circular saw. I used it were possible as a guide and on longer cuts as a guide to draw lines. With a steady hand and taking your time you can get a decently straight cut.
Greetings Eric,
Your guide sounds similar to one I have. I'm guessing that the shear can run along side it. I didn't realize that was possible, but I like the idea of it. I have pretty steady hands, but it's always nice to use a straight edge when possible.

Sorry for so many questions, but do your shears remove a ribbon when they cut or do they just cut with no waste? Here's why I ask. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f476...ml#post2189536
Old 12-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Peter I hear you 5 by 5

Work is progressing as time is available, and let's not forget weather. It is mid October and still in the mid 80's. Which wouldn't be a terrible issue if the humidity would go down. I have managed to get several things accomplished as I start putting it back together. I replaced that front panel so there is no more crack and no more water tank fill (for now).
[IMG]Front Panel 1 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Front Panel 4 by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also replaced the bathroom fan assembly with a modern unit only because I couldn't find the part to keep it original. The plastic fan and covers were completely deteriorated.
[IMG]Bath fan top by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Bath fan inside by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

One other item I worked on was the data plate and sewer plates. They had all seen better days and all the paint was long since faded. So I got the paint out and did some touch ups. Once they were dry I put some clear on to protect them a little longer.
[IMG]plate refreash by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

That brings us to today. Yesterday I removed the old patch panel on the road side to evaluate weather or not to replace the entire roadside bottom panel. After two hours drilling rivets out I decided that just replacing the patch panel was the route to take at this time with my time constraints and working conditions. At least I will be able to fix the wheel well arch so it is clean and looks close to factory.
[IMG]Patch removed by Eric Frye, on Flickr[/IMG]

I still have a number of items to complete on the outside before the interior starts to go back in. I have two Maxair fans to install, reinstall the rebuilt TV antena assembly, repair the A/C shroud and finish stripping the paint.

Greetings Eric, It's pesky Pete again. I'm sure your caught up in the Christmas / Seasonal bustle at this point. When the dust settles I look forward to hearing from you. As I mentioned, you're doing some exceptional work. I'd like to spruce up my data plate and sewer plates as well. Please share with us how you did such a great job with yours. Unlike most humans I was born with five thumbs on each hand, so I depend on others to share their secrets of success. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:47 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
Greetings Eric, It's pesky Pete again. I'm sure your caught up in the Christmas / Seasonal bustle at this point. When the dust settles I look forward to hearing from you. As I mentioned, you're doing some exceptional work. I'd like to spruce up my data plate and sewer plates as well. Please share with us how you did such a great job with yours. Unlike most humans I was born with five thumbs on each hand, so I depend on others to share their secrets of success. Happy Holidays!
No problem Pete. I simply cleaned the plates off really good with soap and water, the let them dry. I then applied a couple of coats of black paint (mainly because I didn't have any blue) and let dry for a couple of days. Then I took some 320 grit emery cloth on a flat block and started sanding the paint of the flat surfaces. Once I had them to the point that I was happy I spayed a couple of coats of clear coat to keep the aluminum from oxidizing.

You will probably have to be careful around the numbers on the vin plate because they are hand punched and at different thicknesses. I put some emery over a pencil eraser to work around them. Also one of my plates was screen printed and not stamped so it remains original. I may purchase a new one
Old 12-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Thanks, I think my sewer plates are screen printed, but this should work for the data plate.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
Pete - If you look closely at them you will be able to see the stamping in the plate on some of the sewer plates.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Pete - If you look closely at them you will be able to see the stamping in the plate on some of the sewer plates.
Thanks Eric,
Yeah, my Excella is sewer plates don't look it feel like they've been stamped. Pretty sure they were screen printed. No worries I believe odmrv has new ones if I need to go that route.
Merry Christmas.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
We have been struggling with a color combination for the Loveshack. The Warden wants a olive green bottom with cream top I have been thinking silver/gray. So today I decided to wrap it and see how it looks. What do you think?
. . .
With better weather upon us, wondering how the work is going?

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
Hey Peter, I didn't realize it has been so long since I posted any updates on the site. I will try to get some updates with photos posted tonight but in short now that the rains have subsided at least temporally and the dove we released the other day came back with a olive branch twig I have high hopes of ramping up the work. I have done some small stuff in preparation of better weather and worked to correct a number of leaks so time hasn't bee completely wasted.

Till tonight.

Eric
Old 03-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . the dove we released the other day came back with a olive branch twig I have high hopes of ramping up the work.
. . .
Curious if you mean this figuratively or literally? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Maybe you mean the Argosy is your arc, and that the floods are over in the Mid-West?

Or literally . . .

Thanks for the update.

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
I meant figuratively we have had so much rain and flooding in this part of the country. The Argosy was never in any danger but my shop had a little flooding no damage fortunately. I do feel for the folks out in the mid west with all of there flooding now.
Last night I went to upload some photos to Flicker and found out they are wanting to charge money if you have more than 1000 photos so I have to figure out my next move.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Clarkton , North Carolina
This is the best thread ever. I hope to see more soon! You give me such hope
Wildwoman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #70
Take me back to the 70's

1970 21' Globetrotter
1977 20' Argosy 20
Boston , MA