Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
My to do list...

Ok, we purchased our 1973 Argosy 26 about a month and a half ago in "ready to camp" condition. The guy we picked it up from had only owned it for 6 months and had purchased it from another person who had used it a "hunting cabin". My wife fell in love...it was not the shiny silver gem she had been dreaming of, but close enough (for now)!

Upon bringin her home (her is still what we refer to her as, as we have not yet chosen a proper name), I realized that there were some decor issues that needed to be rectified, although my wife is insistent on making the most of the '70s appeal of the place. First to go was the redone all-purpose carpet that was probably put in during it's "hunting cabin" days...bland, neutral, gray and musty. While removing it, we found remnants of 2 other carpet types (both '70s and early '80s earth-tone shag type). We have been on a kick in our (non-mobile) house to eliminate carpeting, so we have about 150 square feet of left-over laminate flooring, which will now be incorporated into the Argosy. (Bingo-no extra expense)

However, I found subfloor water damage at the nose end (due to a cross-threaded freshwater tank fitting) and in the bathroom (due to separated water lines and leaking battery and water heater housings). Thus begins the sub-floor replacement...

Faulty sub-floor pieces are out now...waiting on new plywood and frame paint. Overall, the damage isn't too extensive (although my wife says she will just stay out of it until I'm done...something about heartburn!)

Meanwhile...I am tackling multiple things at once, as time and materials allow. Rebuilt the galley countertop (using leftover materials from our kitchen remod), building a new battery box from 7/16" acrylic sheet that I have had "laying around" for the past few years, rescreening the screens, reupholstering the couches, new curtains...and the list goes on!

Priorities at the moment...
1) Treat rusted frame memebers
2) Install new subfloor
3) Prime/treat new subfloor
4) Clean/paint interior vinyl walls
5) Reinstall bathroom
6) Install laminate flooring
7) Install new plumbing
8) Install new galley parts and pieces
9) Reapply exterior pieces, etc...

This should take care of us for the next few months, as we do want to use it for very short trips over the summer. Next, I will tackle a complete belly skin redo and everything else we find lacking...meanwhile, I still have my work cut out for me!

Thanks to everyone for all of you advice, ideas and input!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
safety first

Think safety first. Brakes, axles, tires all need to be put on the list as a priority item. You re-do sounds like fun. Good luck with it!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
You might want to prime/treat the subfloor (on both sides) before putting it in.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
loudruff-that is definately on the list...just not immediately (as we don't intend to move it very far this year)

Dan-priming the floor material is #4 on my "list"...but I do appreciate suggestions and reminders..
Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Ok...after a week and a half of rainy weather, we have finally dried out enough over the last couple of days and I was able to get the exposed frame (where I am replacing rotted subfloor) primed and painted. Tomorrow I will pick up the plywood for new subfloor and then cut, prime and install.