Old 10-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Ok, I followed the link too, that is freaking beautiful in my opinion.

Nice eye, nice job!!!

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:13 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Argosy

We will see how it holds. It seems it is a,shell of armor. I didn't sand and strip everything. I sanded areas where there were scratches, just roughing it. Took down any rust spots which were extremely minimal and then I followed the advice of a random pro painter at the Sherwin Williams store. The employees at store were really were not the best help. The pro said just power wash the hell out of it and get it nice and clean and go for it. The paint on it was in reasonably good shape. No cracking or peeling. The Macro poxy gave a slight texture. As opposed to being completely smooth. That was after thinning it. I did 1 cup of the special thinner for the botom then did another 3/4 cup for second coat. For the top coats I went straight in with 2 cups. Still a little texture but was slightly less. It is still a gloss finish but the texture is kind of cool so I am happy with it. 2 coats and was able get most of the roof using a long pole. It also gives the seams a really solid paint seal.

I had some paint left over. But it is shot as I mixed the hardener in each whole gallon. Probably 1/3 of gallon of blue and 1/4 silver left but unfortunately i have no leftovers becaue you cant save it. . It is simple to mix even ratio hardener to paint. I would start with just half a gallong then do a quarter if needed more and the last quarter.

Took a full weekend about 19-20 hours. Spent 350 for paint, supplies, and the thinner.

If it doesn't work I can be the poster child for how not to paint an Argosy or Vice versa. a reasonably affordable mistake outside the time it took and time to correct. But that is my choice. I am optimistic it was done correctly enough for government work. A different pro may disagree and another friend said it was going to take 6 weeks. That is just not in the cards in my life. I just went for it.

On another note the title for this trailer says 1976. Everything in it really is 1977 guy I bought it from even said 1977. As far as manuals etc it is 77. Does that really matter,or perhaps it was built at end of 1976 and purchased but it was a 1977 model doesn't really matter probably but curious.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Sometimes the fast way is the best way no matter what another thinks.

You got it done quick, and I love your color scheme and the overall look!

Nice job!

Sometimes DMV will get a title wrong, especially ones initially issued pre computer, and on vehicles like trailers that did not utilize a uniform VIN.

Brevi tempore!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The image needs to be visible, so I am posting it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1443792310.879968.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	249469

Brevi tempore!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #19
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nice! Although anathema. I have considered painting our AS.... But then I wake up...

However, I do like the idea for use on the trailer tongue....should add some zing!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:58 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Don't think about it.

I wouldn't paint a silver bullet unless you absolutely need to. These are painted out of gate and because of steel caps cannot really be stripped.

Of course $150 a linear foot to have someone polish if I couldn't do it every few years would possibly change my mind.