Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
To Paint or Not to Paint My Dashboard

Here's the situation. Today I tore out my entire dash to get at my heater blower motor assembly. The dash in Chummy is old, faded and ugly. It shows its age more than I do. I have some time before the new motor comes in and I want to update the dash. Obviously it can not be replaced. Here's my idea. Paint the hard vinyl part with Kylon Fusion Spray Paint. Recover the cheap vinyl overlay part with a nice leather. Put in a oak inlay where AS had originally had a darker shade of cheap vinyl.
The leather and oak part is no problem the painting part is what gives me the willies. This will be under the window directly in the sun it is a large area and I wonder if it will hold up. Anyone have experience with spray painting hard vinyl. Since the control panel which I will not be touching wraps into this vinyl part I can not cover it with anything other than paint. See picture 2.
I took some pictures of the removal. First picrure shows area with Chummy sign which will become oak, the area below with AC controls will also be oak and the vinyl painted. The padded area above will be covered with leather. Second picture shows the hard vinyl part which I will paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blower removal 002.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	18626   Click image for larger version

Name:	blower removal 005.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	18627  

Old 02-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Done a lot of painting the last few years. I think you can paint it okay, but the trick is to get paint that is compatabile with the vinyl. What I do is go to the parts store that supplies paint to automotive shops and talk to them. I often use a two part paint that is like epoxy. You mix and spray right away. It is very durable. I also use paint made just for fibre glass. There are all kinds and you should be able to find one that will work for you.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I think the Krylon would do the trick on the plastic areas, if you prime it as well, and maybe scuff it up some to make it hold the paint more. You might do a google search on painting automotive plastics.
The idea of upgrading to the leather look is a good one. i use leather like automotive material on my dash face, but the reat is in good shape and I have not redone that only trying to keep it up with vinyl treatments, etc.
As long as you have the dash apart it is a great time to get it done. Keep us posted.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Spray paint

I just painted the arm rests in our Suburban. They discolored right away and instead of being light gray, it looked like yellow bleeding through. We went to an automotive paint store and matched the trim to their paint and sprayed it. I also sprayed the center console top and floor mats. The paint is made just for this and it looks great. It's about $10 a can, made by SEM and is called Colorcoat for flexible vinyl. Our son has used it when he restored his Mustangs and they look new on the inside now.
Janssvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janssvt
The paint is made...by SEM and is called Colorcoat for flexible vinyl.
SEM Colorcoat is definitely the way to go. I've used it on a number of cars with uniformly great results. Most recently, I repainted the nasty, discolored chocolate brown panels in my '74 Argosy, and they look like brand new. They're also a much more pleasing light beige.

Colorcoat isn't cheap, but it comes in dozens of colors and will last a very long time. Be sure to use their Plastic/Leather Prep beforehand, too.

Bob in Nashville
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Kent, all I can offer is counsel on color choices. Lighter colors can be more reflective and tend to cause trouble in direct exposure to the sun from a visablity standpoint. I'm noticing quite a bit of reflected glare on my new Allante windshield when pointed into the sun.
I'd tend to select a flat finish, darker color.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:53 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
ChaplainKent,
I see Captain Destructo has been at work in your AS too
I vote for the SEM Colorcoat too. It is great stuff. I used some to paint some different colored pieces on a car we were putting back together (reject from the salvage yard) and after 2-3 years it still is holding up.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Looks like I find some SEM today. Now about that color Glen. My thought was a lighter color to avoid glare but you say a darker color. My truck dash is a light grey and my wife's car is a light tan. Presently the dash on Chummy is a faded harvest gold. I did have one vehicle with a dark red dash but think most are lighter colors. Once in awhile the sun shines here and I will be going South this year so what the consensus?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
What a cool project! Since you asked for opinions - I think I would go with a neutral darker color for the background "plastic" then add in your updated coach color scheme with the leather and wood inlay.

Maybe a medium grey to charcoal color. Something along the lines of a more updated automotive feel.

BTW - I've been using these guys for many of the upholstry and fabric for our 345 with great prices, results and fast service: http://www.distinctivefabric.com/
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote