Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Argosy Trailers > All Argosy Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2005, 02:55 AM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Rob,
Nice Find...between you and Richardt I am suprised any of the rest of us can find anything

BTW what brand of awning is that? A&E? Inquiring minds want to know...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Faulkner Awning - Shur Start AC

The trailer has a Faulkner awning on it. Is this now known as A&E as it looks like an A&E awning. It also has a Shur-Start AC on it. Does anyone know of these products? Literature? Here are a few pictures of the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture247_16Jun05.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	12895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture250_16Jun05.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	12896  

Name:	Picture251_16Jun05.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	12897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture252_16Jun05.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	12898  

https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Wow, Rob, you got another!

This one has a serious Brady Bunch vibe right now--going to keep it (the funky 70s/superfly look is rather in these days) or completely change it?

Enjoy it!
Mary
Old 06-17-2005, 07:18 AM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hey, Rob! Leave some for the rest of us!!!

Seriously, how is it turning out to be? I know things look better in photos than in person.
My dinette looks great in photos, but in person, it is one step below something you would find in a Goodwill dumpster.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Argosy Trailer

Just bought this one for 2k. Looks like a little work with high reward..But this is my first trailer ever..I am 33. I am told old couple bought it new and sold it to their neighbors after 22 years and they never used it and neither did the neighbors who bought it. I guess it has old person smell or a "musty smell" which makes sense it has origional carpet in it. Check the pics and let me know what you think.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	28' Argosy 1979.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	13334  
Attached Images

JeffTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Jeff,

nice coach. As you may know, the first things you need to do is check the tires for and brakes to make sure they work, get them in tip top shape. next, look into getting your endcaps painted. Go to a truck painting shop and use Imron. Well, heck, I'm not an Argosy owner, so I'm sure they have a million other things to tell you. Have fun!

PS, welcome to the SE Michigan AS/Argosy owners' club! I'm sure that Pattersontoo will chime in. Don't be afraid to ask questions and get that coach ready and out on the road. You will be amazed at the people that will stop by at the campgrounds to chat about it.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTerry
Just bought this one for 2k. Looks like a little work with high reward..But this is my first trailer ever..I am 33. I am told old couple bought it new and sold it to their neighbors after 22 years and they never used it and neither did the neighbors who bought it. I guess it has old person smell or a "musty smell" which makes sense it has origional carpet in it. Check the pics and let me know what you think.
Jeff
Jeff, the smell is probably just old carpet and fabric. If you pull out the carpet, you can also check the floor for soft spots.
That trailer has Vista View windows, which are the small windows over the large windows on the sides of the trialer in the living area. These are prone to leak. You can find moisture between the panes (they are double-pane windows), and soft spots on the floor under where they are.
When you lift the trailer to replace the tires, and repack the wheel bearings and check the brakes, you will be able to see under the trailer better. Take a look at the belly pan (the aluminum sheet that goes the length of the trailer on the bottom). If it looks nice and smoothe, with no tears or corrosion, you may luck out, and have no frame rust damage from it sitting. If the trailer has truly never been used, or not used much, a lot of the repairs could wind up being minor. Something I have learned, though, with 1970's Argosies, is a lot of the plastic fittings will be very brittle from age, so exercise care in handling them. This is especially true if the trailer has not been used.
A check of plumbing and electrical systems would be a great idea. If the trailer was properly winterized before the last time it was used, the high pressure plumbing should be all right. The holding tanks may be a problem, if there was any liquid left in them the last time it was used, they may have cracked, and will leak.
From what I see in the photos, especially if it has been used little, you got a good deal on your trailer, as long as it is sound structurally.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Here's another to ID

Wife just snapped this and emailed it to me, anyone tell what it is? I think I just found my second coach!

John

PS, if she tells me I'm idiot for wanting a second one, I'll let everyone know where it is.

J
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture010.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	13363  
Old 07-13-2005, 06:07 PM   #29
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Wife just snapped this and emailed it to me, anyone tell what it is? I think I just found my second coach!

John

PS, if she tells me I'm idiot for wanting a second one, I'll let everyone know where it is.

J
That would be an early Argosy 20.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:02 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Yep, it's a 1972 20. Ok, folks here's the lowdown:

Interior is immaculate. Looked really nice thru the windows. Original cushions looked good, counters and a walls looked good. Curtains were missing, some trim on the interior end cap seemed to be missing, not sure what to look for. Bath looked good and free of observable mildew. Couldn't get inside, so I don't know about leaks and soft spots.

Exterior needs work. Somebody tried to paint it themselves and it is hideous. One 12" dent, front lower drivers side. Bumper and A frame need serious wirebrush and paint treatment. Awning probably needs to be torn off and thrown away.

Looks like original Bargman tanks, but without OPD valves. The owner said that all of the appliances worked, but I wonder how he gassed them up??? Axle has some life left, arms are about parallel with the ground, but tire is still observable below the wheel well.

It's usable-ish right now, but it dearly needs new paint and a new awning. I'd say that if you must have an AS or Argosy, and don't have a lot to spend, this is a good deal, as long as most of the appliances prove to work. I called the owner and my ridiculously low offer was rejected (let's just say somewhat below $1000 - never hurts to ask, eh?). He also told another offer that he had supposedly rejected.

PM me and I'll give you contact info and what he said about offers. For those of you in the Metro Detroit Area, it's in Mt Clemens, on Groesbeck ave, right across from the Macomb cty jail.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
That would be an early Argosy 20.